The Athletic ranks NFL GMs

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Sando doesn't really add much subjective input - he just groups them by experience and winning percentage. I'll post some excerpts:

Separating GMs into categories based on longevity allows for cleaner comparisons. I’ve done that below for all 32 NFL GMs, stacking them by winning percentage within their four experience buckets, and offering commentary on their situations.

GMs In Place For 10 or More Drafts (.565)​

The Minnesota Vikings’ Rick Spielman and the the Los Angeles Rams’ Les Snead are new to this group, which no longer features Thomas Dimitroff, fired by the Atlanta Falcons during last season. The top four in winning percentage have won Super Bowls. Two of the three with the lowest winning percentages enjoy incredible job security. They own their teams!
You must be registered for see images attach

GMs In Place For 5-9 Drafts (.492)​

This group is down to eight from 10 after Snead and Spielman aged into the group with 10-plus drafts. Two others, Dave Caldwell and Bob Quinn, were fired. The Indianapolis Colts’ Chris Ballard and the San Francisco 49ers’ John Lynch are new to this group.

2. Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals (.540): The comfort level between GM and owner can be critical to longevity. Keim has that after more than two decades with the organization, helping him ride out rough patches and rebuild the team around quarterback Kyler Murray. The Cardinals had the NFL’s worst record in 2018. They currently own the league’s best mark at 9-2.

GMs In Place For 3-4 Drafts (.588)​

This grouping features GMs from teams that include the last three MVPs in Brian Gutekunst (Aaron Rodgers), Brett Veach (Patrick Mahomes) and Eric DeCosta (Lamar Jackson). All three GMs were working for their teams when those MVPs were drafted, but not in their current roles. Other GMs in this bucket acquired their quarterbacks by draft, trade or free agency.

GMs In Place For 1-2 Drafts (.373)​

Only two of the nine GMs in this group have acquired quarterbacks for the long-term future (the Jaguars with Trevor Lawrence, and the Jets with Zach Wilson). The six first-year GMs have a combined 20-46-1 record.
...dave

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Ahh mlb 1st round in last 2 drafts shows building from middle out, they have not hit their stride yet, but will sustain cards long term with Vances defense- offensive players want to come here

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My only concern with Keim is that I don't think he builds teams that can stay good. The Cardinals will have substantial questions after this year.
As a Keim hater until week 4 since Wilks was hired, the fact is he got 4 winning seasons, 2 8-8 seasons, 3 losing seasons, 4+ playoff games and 1+ playoff win....Keim is not that bad may be...and I just swallowed by tongue whole....

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As a Keim hater until week 4 since Wilks was hired, the fact is he got 4 winning seasons, 2 8-8 seasons, 3 losing seasons, 4+ playoff games and 1+ playoff win....Keim is not that bad may be...and I just swallowed by tongue whole....
I think Keim isn't bad either. He might qualify as the best GM the Cardinals have ever had.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Keim needs to draft better. The hit rate, especially on first-round picks, is awful. He’s only had one first round pick re-sign to a multi-year extension (Hump). One-year rentals and high priced FAs are not sustainable, especially since Kyler’s payday is around the corner

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim needs to draft better. The hit rate, especially on first-round picks, is awful. He’s only had one first round pick re-sign to a multi-year extension (Hump). One-year rentals and high priced FAs are not sustainable, especially since Kyler’s payday is around the corner
It seems he’s improving at drafting in recent years…

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose