Chicago trip advice needed

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Someone mentioned Buddy Guy Blues club, wow I'd have given my eye teeth to go there.

.Yeah, being a big Buddy fan I was looking forward to seeing him perform in his own club. Unfortunately for me, Buddy was touring during the time I was there. Still fun to grab a bite, peruse the memorabilia and buy a couple souvenirs on the way out.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Maybe times have changed. I went 20 years ago, had my Plummer jersey on. Had numerous beers chucked at me, aggressive yelling (well beyond normal), etc. The fans were just awful.

I can still clearly remember Pittman running left and losing a fumble costing the Cards the win. The tight, hard fought game may have led to more testosterone.
I went about 10 years ago, and although a couple people were jerks, people were polite and nice for the most part.

Lower level seats typically help as well.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only worse advice someone can give about Chicago than above would be to tell them to go to Chicago in winter.

Lou’s is God. Anyone who thinks different has had their taste buds lobotomized.
Lou’s is good… but the deep dish sausage sheet pizza from Genos East mmmmm I’ll take over Lous all day. :)

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Pequods Pizza is where you want to go for deep dish, its all about the caramelized crust. For real Chicago pizza I would highly recommend Pat’s or Vito & Nick’s for amazing tavern style. Sorry folks but Lou’s isn’t what it used to be.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
As a former Chicago resident myself, my take is that it's a great place to visit.

Stating that the people are nice seems like someone didn't spend much time there (!)...

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Deep dish is a matter of who you like. Geno’s is the traditional place, where celebs go. You could also try an Italian Beef sandwich. It’s a little spicy, but delicious. Hot peppers are optional.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deep dish is a matter of who you like. Geno’s is the traditional place, where celebs go. You could also try an Italian Beef sandwich. It’s a little spicy, but delicious. Hot peppers are optional.
Genos def my choice and Im pretty famous :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Chicago pizza suxx....

but their aquarium is very cool...just be aware that there are these little black birds that live around the aquarium that will kick your ass. One of them attacked my son for walking too close to its tree...was funny as hell, he had just graduated boot camp and was strutting around all macho,...when this tiny black bird bombs his ass repeatedly causing him to bounce around and squeal...lmao...
they have signs out about the birds...black, with red dots

inside the aquqrium,they have the coolest blowfish...pufferfish?? I have ever seen,...dude is like five feet across and loves to have his picture taken

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
As a former Chicago resident myself, my take is that it's a great place to visit.

Stating that the people are nice seems like someone didn't spend much time there (!)...
I'm also a White Sox fan and would go to games every summer. People were always very nice around the city.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Chicago pizza suxx....

but their aquarium is very cool...just be aware that there are these little black birds that live around the aquarium that will kick your ass. One of them attacked my son for walking too close to its tree...was funny as hell, he had just graduated boot camp and was strutting around all macho,...when this tiny black bird bombs his ass repeatedly causing him to bounce around and squeal...lmao...
they have signs out about the birds...black, with red dots

inside the aquqrium,they have the coolest blowfish...pufferfish?? I have ever seen,...dude is like five feet across and loves to have his picture taken
youre referring to the red winged Blackbird. It becomes aggressively territorial during breeding season

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The sandwich is definitely a good choice

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I lived in downtown Chicago when I first moved to Illinois in 2014, I never had any trouble with anyone and I walked everywhere but there are definitely neighborhoods to avoid. If you stick to the tourist areas and business district you'll be fine.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Italian beef FOR SURE. But get it “wet.” You won’t be sorry (but you’ll need a lot of napkins).

Reaction score
Y'all need to go down to Jon & I's neck of the woods in Illinois for great pizza or a horseshoe. Thin crust cut into squares with the cheese on top is where it's at. There's a lot of small mom & pop pizza places in south central Illinois that has great pizza.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Y'all need to go down to Jon & I's neck of the woods in Illinois for great pizza or a horseshoe. Thin crust cut into squares with the cheese on top is where it's at. There's a lot of small mom & pop pizza places in south central Illinois that has great pizza.
Italian Village in Carbondale being one of them.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
You really can’t have a discussion on Chicago without a pizza fight breaking out. Try them all and see which one you like best. I will say we loved Pequods as well but the wait there is crazy and that was before Covid.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really can’t have a discussion on Chicago without a pizza fight breaking out. Try them all and see which one you like best. I will say we loved Pequods as well but the wait there is crazy and that was before Covid.

None of them are "the best" NY Style >>> Farm to Table Style >>>> California Style >>>> Chicago Style >>>>> whatever Detroit Style is

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson