Warriors @ Suns Tuesday game thread 11-30-2021

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess for the rematch is we see less Looney, he and Curry were both -17 but Looney only played 17 minutes. against a defense that good you can't have Looney and Draymond on the court together that much just too easy to help off them. Payton +17 in 16 minutes should play more to guard CP3, he's not a 3 shooter but he can get to the rim and finish and his defense is just so good you can justify playing him. And if Iggy plays in the rematch he will get some of Looney's minutes, while not a great scorer at this point, Iggy does so many things and is much more of a threat than Looney.

Looney is a good post defender but he was useless against Ayton last night anyways so might as well play someone who's a bigger threat on offense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My guess for the rematch is we see less Looney, he and Curry were both -17 but Looney only played 17 minutes. against a defense that good you can't have Looney and Draymond on the court together that much just too easy to help off them. Payton +17 in 16 minutes should play more to guard CP3, he's not a 3 shooter but he can get to the rim and finish and his defense is just so good you can justify playing him. And if Iggy plays in the rematch he will get some of Looney's minutes, while not a great scorer at this point, Iggy does so many things and is much more of a threat than Looney.

Looney is a good post defender but he was useless against Ayton last night anyways so might as well play someone who's a bigger threat on offense.
Go smaller? Please do.

McGee didn’t even have a great game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go smaller? Please do.

McGee didn’t even have a great game.

Playing Looney in that game was a net negative, 17 in 17 minutes so I'm not overly concerned about playing him less. Most teams he's worth it for defense and rebounding but against a defense as good as the Suns they need a bigger threat on offense there so that his man, Ayton, isn't just sagging off and available to help readily.

Maybe he'll play better in the rematch but my guess is kerr will look at the plus minus stats and realize he can't have Looney and Draymond in there together. Also it allows them to play faster which tires Ayton out. they can't guard Ayton that was obvious so try and tire him out.

They just don't have anybody big enough to handle Ayton

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed Chris Paul talking to Ayton when he lags behind coming up the court. It's nice to know they have these types of conversations even when Ayton gets fatigued.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Man if we had Saric and Frank it would be such a massive positive...even Nadar would be a positive.
I agree with you that we will see more Payton. And with Book now gone, it will be very interesting to see how Monty chooses to fill that void. I know he didn't play well last night, but I see Shamet as a quality back-up and am totally fine with his playing time. The reality is we don't have a ton of options here... Payne/Elfred Payton/Shamet... those 3 will be relied upon in a big way and likely, in big moments.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

in the Warriors telecast after Draymond tried the fake handoff and had someone sitting there waiting for him, Azabuike said wow this defense is really good. They have the Warriors so well scouted they know all the plays. I said yesterday the backscreens by Steph(first basket was one), the fake handoffs, the split action etc they had so much scouted that those plays really didn't work.

it helps when you have Steph completely locked down at the rim blocked or altered and the deep shots contested but all the counters the Warriors typically can run off the attention to Steph didn't work either. Very impressive it's why I am convinced they will play Looney less in the rematch his man was always available to help when he was in.

I don't think you can play Poole, Payton and Steph together that much just too small but if Iggy plays I think he'll get some of Looney's minutes

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man if we had Saric and Frank it would be such a massive positive...even Nadar would be a positive.
I agree with you that we will see more Payton. And with Book now gone, it will be very interesting to see how Monty chooses to fill that void. I know he didn't play well last night, but I see Shamet as a quality back-up and am totally fine with his playing time. The reality is we don't have a ton of options here... Payne/Elfred Payton/Shamet... those 3 will be relied upon in a big way and likely, in big moments.

I mean Gary Payton 2 with the Warriors not Elfrid.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith

There was one pass play where a Warriors defender stepped right in front of what looked to be an open Suns player under the basket to steal the ball. That looked like a play that had been scouted by the Warriors. It was a nice defensive play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul had 5 steals in the game and Mikal Bridges 4.

This is one of Bridges' steals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith

I also wanted to mention the shooting of Jordon Poole and Otto Porter Jr. was unconscionable.

Of course Steph Curry is usually as well.

It's no wonder the Warriors blow teams off the court.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul had 5 steals in the game and Mikal Bridges 4.

This is one of Bridges' steals.

That was the beginning of the end IMO. Such a great play I think Steph even knew he was going to try and get around he thought he could get it to Draymond for a layup but Bridges is just so long he got the ball anyways.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith

I also wanted to mention the shooting of Jordon Poole and Otto Porter Jr. was unconscionable.

Of course Steph Curry is usually as well.

It's no wonder the Warriors blow teams off the court.

One of the interesting things this year is it seems Poole and Steph are rarely hot in the same game. Poole was great but I think he sort of needs the ball more than Steph does to impact the game so when Steph is hot, it means Poole has the ball less and he's less effective off the ball. He kept us in the game last night.

Porter had a great first half seemed to stop hitting 3's in the 2nd half.

The turnovers were huge as were the missed/blocked layups. And as Steph said the turnovers seem to always lead to open looks at the other end

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the beginning of the end IMO. Such a great play I think Steph even knew he was going to try and get around he thought he could get it to Draymond for a layup but Bridges is just so long he got the ball anyways.

Obviously most defenders don't make that play but Bridges' long arms made that possible.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
What a fun game last night. Bridges with maybe the most dominating performance ever for a guy putting up a meager 2/2/3 stat line. Ayton stepped up in Booker's absence. This team just plays amazing, unselfish basketball on both ends of the floor. It's beautiful to watch.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the interesting things this year is it seems Poole and Steph are rarely hot in the same game. Poole was great but I think he sort of needs the ball more than Steph does to impact the game so when Steph is hot, it means Poole has the ball less and he's less effective off the ball. He kept us in the game last night.

Porter had a great first half seemed to stop hitting 3's in the 2nd half.

The turnovers were huge as were the missed/blocked layups. And as Steph said the turnovers seem to always lead to open looks at the other end

Those turnovers were definitely a help plus the Suns ramp up their defense selectively during certain parts of the game.

I can understand why some teams fold under the Warriors offensive barrage. Sometimes it feels like they don't miss a shot.

I'm not looking forward to the next meeting. IMO, the most important key to playing the Warriors is keeping the game close.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton's defense on the perimeter was phenomenal. The Warriors forced that matchup a few times using screens and it seemed like it backed fired every time. Curry couldn't get around him, couldn't get clean looks, I think Ayton even blocked a 3pt attempt. It also left Bridges free to poach passes since he wasn't glued to Curry's hip.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose