Warriors @ Suns Tuesday game thread 11-30-2021

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warriors lead the league in 3pt attempts. If we can chase guys off the line then we have a chance. Despite the point differential the warriors put up, i believe we are better defensively on closeouts, contesting shots, rotations and team defense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Most teams that doesn't even matter most teams double Steph if he crosses halfcourt with the ball. Everyone plays a 1 man zone off Looney so I assume Ayton will too. I'm sure the Warriors will try to get Ayton on Steph but they don't use Looney that much in the screen game when they screen it's almost always Draymond.

Honestly the single most effective screener on the Warriors right now is Steph himself. He sets good screens and teams are so scared of him he often sets a screen and both defenders go to him and the guy he's screening for is wide open.

That, the fake handoff play, Draymond and Toscano-Anderson are both good at that, and the prime play for them is the split action.

If I had to guess I figure the Suns will try Paul and try Bridges on Steph but most teams just double him. The key to the Warriors offense is usually Wiggins when he's aggressive the offense is pretty tough to stop and he's been on a roll of late.

I figure the Suns double Curry and the Warriors double Booker.

last year the Lakers size really bugged the Warriors so you could see a scenario where Ayton and JaVale just dominate the glass inside but the Warriors will try to counter that by getting them in the pick and roll on the other end.

Should be fun I'm currious if the Warriors will gave Payton any time on Booker, he's much smaller but he makes it so hard to dribble
We don’t double that much so I wouldn’t be too sure we’re going to do that often.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And green will take it to him to draw fouls. And look for green to strip ayton a few times, maybe even muck things up with physical play.

Also who thinks Green and Crowder will do some jawing at each other tonight? Maybe get into to it a little.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don’t double that much so I wouldn’t be too sure we’re going to do that often.

Yeah this Suns team doubles less than just about any other I've seen. It's kind of weird since they're far and away the best defensive Suns team I've seen also.

Doubling doesn't work that well unless there is someone you can basically abandon regularly and like Russ mentioned, Looney could be that guy but who knows how much time he'll see.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's interesting that Fred Van Vleet had success guarding Curry. He is not that athletic.

Perhaps it is more how a player plays Curry than height and athleticism. In the earlier podcast Chris Paul was mentioned as an option to guard Curry. Maybe it's more about knowing his tendencies.

It might be best to let Curry score the ball than get his teammates involved.
Yeah, I think putting Paul on Curry is a recipe for disaster.

I honestly would feel far more comfortable having ayton guard Curry and Paul guard Looney than I would Paul on Curry.

Paul is just to slow to keep up with him - and that is why if you have been paying attention Paul is often guarding forwards this year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ayton just doesn't get enough arc on his shot.

Without reworking it, I don't think he will ever be a very good 3 point shooter.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton just doesn't get enough arc on his shot.

Without reworking it, I don't think he will ever be a very good 3 point shooter.

McGees were out of the frame while Aytons stayed within. Ayton shoots it like he doesn't give a spit.

Watchin McGee during practice and in games has got to be humbling (i hope) for Ayton.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Interesting fact from NBA.com:

Schedule strength through Week 6

• Toughest: 1. New Orleans, 2. Cleveland, 3. Houston
  • Easiest: 1. Utah, 2. Phoenix, 3. Golden State
  • Schedule strength is based on cumulative opponent record, and adjusted for home vs. away and days of rest before a game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting fact from NBA.com:

Schedule strength through Week 6

• Toughest: 1. New Orleans, 2. Cleveland, 3. Houston
  • Easiest: 1. Utah, 2. Phoenix, 3. Golden State
  • Schedule strength is based on cumulative opponent record, and adjusted for home vs. away and days of rest before a game.

yeah the Warriors have definitely not played a tough schedule yet

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Chris Paul is 22-28 in his career (13-19 in the regular season, 9-9 in the playoffs) against Stephen Curry. Neither of them guarded each other much last season – Mikal Bridges guarded Curry, while Curry spent most of his time guarding the Suns’ forwards – but the point guard matchup is still one we need to enjoy while it lasts.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK this really pisses me off.

I hope the suns players see this garbage.

The disrespect for AZ teams by the national media is off the charts.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll either be at this one or a bar near it. depends on scalper pricing

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t complain about refs but I do about schedule making. Playing @GS on Fri will be the Suns 5th time playing the 2nd half of a b2b on the road. I’d like to know how that compares to other teams. Granted the Knicks/Netsgame didn’t require any travel.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t complain about refs but I do about schedule making. Playing @GS on Fri will be the Suns 5th time playing the 2nd half of a b2b on the road. I’d like to know how that compares to other teams. Granted the Knicks/Netsgame didn’t require any travel.

Maybe I’m remembering correctly but I think we had one of higher number of b2b

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Milwaukee, The Nets and MIAMI are better than us at their best?

**** Steven A.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Milwaukee, The Nets and MIAMI are better than us at their best?

**** Steven A.
Seriously. The Bucks are struggling and I think we beat them last year if healthy, Miami isn't a contender in the first place and we just took a hot dump on the Nets, on their court while they were only missing a player who isn't going to play this year anyway.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stephen A. Smith is a tool.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Just an insane mouth breather there. At least JJ Redick has common sense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think putting Paul on Curry is a recipe for disaster.

I honestly would feel far more comfortable having ayton guard Curry and Paul guard Looney than I would Paul on Curry.

Paul is just to slow to keep up with him - and that is why if you have been paying attention Paul is often guarding forwards this year.

It's going to take team defense if the Suns hope to contain Curry. I worry more about his teammates catching fire.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns haven't even kicked it in gear yet this season. They aren't playing anywhere near their best basketball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns haven't even kicked it in gear yet this season. They aren't playing anywhere near their best basketball.

I don’t know. They just destroyed the Knicks/nets on back to back nights. They played pretty damn well in those games.