OT: Las Vegas Raiders WR Henry Ruggs to be charged with DUI resulting in death

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Las Vegas Raiders receiver Henry Ruggs III was involved in a fiery car crash early Tuesday morning that killed one person and will lead to Ruggs being charged with DUI resulting in death.

According to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, officers "responded to a traffic collision near the intersection of South Rainbow Boulevard and South Spring Valley Parkway, involving a Chevrolet Corvette and a Toyota Rav4. Responding officers located the Toyota on fire. Fire department personnel responded and located a deceased woman inside the Toyota. The preliminary investigation indicates the front of the Chevrolet collided with the rear of the Toyota.

"The driver of the Chevrolet, identified as 22-year-old Henry Rugs (sic) III, remained on scene and showed signs of impairment. He was transported to UMC hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries. Ruggs will be charged with DUI resulting in death. This is an on-going investigation," the Las Vegas Metro PD said in its statement.

There was a female passenger in Ruggs' car who was also transported to a hospital. She was not immediately identified.

If convicted, Ruggs would face two to 20 years in prison.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like he rear ended a car and a woman died. He appeared impaired.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dang it. I even checked 3 times for any similar threads. Mods please delete this.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Nevada is tougher than Missouri on DUI-related deaths?

Leonard Little was 24 when he hit and killed Susan Gutweiler in Missouri while he was at .19 (legal limit of .08).

He got 4 years probation, 1,000 hours of community service, an 8-game suspension from the league, and continued on with his career like nothing ever happened. He also got another DUI within 6 years. SMH.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A few pro athletes have been thru this and didn’t lose their careers. I think the laws and public pressure are stronger than they were when it happened to Donte Stallworth. Like that case we should hear the details in the Ruggs case. I think when Stallworth hit a pedestrian the guy darted out where he wasn’t supposed to be. It was more of a tragic accident.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few pro athletes have been thru this and didn’t lose their careers. I think the laws and public pressure are stronger than they were when it happened to Donte Stallworth. Like that case we should hear the details in the Ruggs case. I think when Stallworth hit a pedestrian the guy darted out where he wasn’t supposed to be. It was more of a tragic accident.
A DUI-related death didn't stop Leonard Little from playing and getting a ring the following season with the Rams. Big jump to call it career-ending with how DUI fatalities are handled in this country.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He rear ended a Toyota Rav 4 with enough force to kill the Driver and start a fire that engulfed the SUV in flames.

It's hard for me to believe that he wasn't driving at an extreme speed to Kill a driver being rear ended.

A corvette, hitting a mid-size SUV from the rear and killing the driver just screams excessive speed to me.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A DUI-related death didn't stop Leonard Little from playing and getting a ring the following season with the Rams. Big jump to call it career-ending with how DUI fatalities are handled in this country.
I think Las Vegas/Nevada may be part of the issue from a punishment and judicial perspective. But I'm not a lawyer, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn express last night, and don't have a lawyer in my family.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

The Little case seemed more extreme. I read in Wikipedia that he got another DWI a few years later and had some harassment issues with an ex-girfriend. Sounds like a real piece of work.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could care less about his career being over. Shouldn’t even be a thought it should be over. He killed someone senselessly. PERIOD!
Couldn't agree more. Also, regardless of time served, he should never be allowed to operate a motor vehicle again, IMHO. He should flat out lose that right for killing another person in the manner in which he did.

Reaction score
My guess is it ruptured the gas tank in the Toyota causing it to burst into flames. Probably hit it with enough force that the driver couldn't open the doors. What a terrible way to die. Hopefully they throw the book at him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Different guy in charge the time time of Little, though. They didn't have near the conduct policy they have today. See my post in the anther thread about his and the husband of the woman Little killed.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Different guy in charge the time time of Little, though. They didn't have near the conduct policy they have today. See my post in the anther thread about his and the husband of the woman Little killed.
I remember a story about Leonard Little of the Rams, back in the day...He killed a woman, while driving drunk, but the league rules weren't as strict and he got to play again. The husband of the woman he killed, ironically, was a sports photographer who routinely covered Rams games. When Little came back to play, the husband had the team/NFL make an agreement that he could still cover Rams games, but he didn't have to include any pictures of Little. I can't imagine will being there every week, doing your job, while the guy who killed your wife still gets to play football and make million$.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...er-made/38a474b6-18e3-4fe7-ab62-2a93c7027fca/

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack but this incident has now led to rumors the Raiders are going to trade for Andy Isabella.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The mandatory minimum if convicted is 2 years in jail.

In Nevada, it a class B felony to drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and thereby cause someone to suffer substantial bodily injury or death. Penalties include two to twenty years in prison, fines ranging from $2,000 to $5,000, and a three-year driver’s license suspension.

NRS 484C.430 states that a driver who is impaired by alcohol or drugs – or who has illegal amounts of alcohol or drugs in their system – commits “DUI causing injury or death” when the driver:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose