Extend Chase Edmonds(?) and RBs

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All signs point to Cardinals extending Chase after this season. Chase is one of my favorite Cardinals players on the roster. Always answers the bell. But the position he plays screams that extension should never be coming. What do you do if you are the Cardinals GM next season?

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like him, not a traditional running back, not the workhorse but has the versatility to make our offense better, he is a very good receiver, and seems to get better every year
I would extend him for the right price

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It always depends on the cost but at RB that is more critical. If they said, 5yrs for 25 mil, no one blinks at that deal. 6.2 is what the Colts extended Hines for which will likely be the comp. It is the big dollar contracts at RB that teams regret and if Chase wants that, you franchise him or let him walk. (I don't believe he will ask for that much, but just including that scenario)

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So the story of that graph is... don't sign ANY RB to an extension? :shock::Dold

I usually like numbers / stats but that graph should be taken with a grain of salt... McCaffrey signed an extension and then sprained his ankle last year... they should at least omit the players who were injured... surprisingly DJ is on that list but we know he's a shell of his former self

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So the story of that graph is... don't sign ANY RB to an extension? :shock::Dold

I usually like numbers / stats but that graph should be taken with a grain of salt... McCaffrey signed an extension and then sprained his ankle last year... they should at least omit the players who were injured... surprisingly DJ is on that list but we know he's a shell of his former self
Hmmm.....I think you are missing the point of the graph. Production before and after contracts without exclusion of injures, OL play, scheme etc

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dalvin Cook is treading about on par compared to his pre-contract numbers. Would the Vikings get 80% of Cook's performance from Madison who is on a rookie contract and use the savings to shore up their poor defense?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, it really depends on the cost.

Any more than 3 million a year and I say no to resigning him.

Regardless we should draft a back in the 2nd or 3rd round next year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t compare Chase with a workhorse back. I think today’s NFL calls for multi-back rooms.
If Chase can accept that he should remain a Cardinal.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is wild. Chase is a backup RB. I would extend him for cheap but that's it and with the preference to be bringing in a better RB through the draft or FA. I like Chase fine as a backup, 3rd down, etc. As a FT runner, he has really done nothing in my eyes. In fact, I was making fun of my friend last night because he has Chase as one of his fantasy RBs.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno.....5 years for 26mil with 16m guaranteed? Stack the salaries to the first three years so he is easily cuttable on the back end.
Still doesn’t stop us from bringing in an early round rookie

On one hand you have his production.... that’s worth X

Then on the other hand you have the fact that he has been an eager hard working team player who has always done what was asked of him without complaints.... That is also worth X in my book.

So yeah.... I would give him maybe just a little more than his actual market value.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno.....5 years for 26mil with 16m guaranteed? Stack the salaries to the first three years so he is easily cuttable on the back end.
Still doesn’t stop us from bringing in an early round rookie

On one hand you have his production.... that’s worth X

Then on the other hand you have the fact that he has been an eager hard working team player who has always done what was asked of him without complaints.... That is also worth X in my book.

So yeah.... I would give him maybe just a little more than his actual market value.
5 mil a year seems more than JAG money, I would only do it if there was no other option

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
5 mil a year seems more than JAG money, I would only do it if there was no other option
It is more than JAG money.... but not much more.
JAG guys are getting around 3.5mil right now I think. But Chase is a Cardinal... dude has kept his head down and worked hard without complaint or issues...... and his style fits the offense pretty well

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day...

I just can't get over how far/how fast David Johnson dropped off. 2015/2016 were magical...seemed like OJ Anderson. He obviously got injured but wow...so disappointing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Cardinals should be able to sign him for a modest contract with few guarantees based on how he has played so far.

They could maybe even pay more per year than they should (maybe 6.5 mil?) but have the contract a year-to-year type of thing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave