I bought a guitar

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for it! I have a couple weeks off at the end of December so I'm sure I can swing it.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandson is out in the yard cleaning my guitar..
You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandson is out in the yard cleaning my guitar..

Wow, it really needs it. Good grandson right there.

Also, pro tip: Try not to practice playing guitar immediately after eating a bucket of fried chicken.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, it really needs it. Good grandson right there.

Also, pro tip: Try not to practice playing guitar immediately after eating a bucket of fried chicken.

It's likely grape seed oil. I use it to treat my dainty hands, knarled face and chapped ass.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TRW , I'd love to hear a little bit about that gorgeous acoustic you have in your avatar if you feel like sharing. :grabs:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
@TRW , I'd love to hear a little bit about that gorgeous acoustic you have in your avatar if you feel like sharing. :grabs:
No problem, although it's a long story. I'll do my best to keep it as brief as possible :)

It is made of bubinga, spruce top and the inlays are olive wood. The headstock has a tree representing the Tree of Life and the neck has the word "elpida" in Greek which means "hope". It was made by a dear friend of mine who was a master luthier (he has retired) and he made me, my wife and another friend's guitars. They are al pieces of art as well as sounding magnificent.

I have had it for about 3 years now and it is such a joy to play on it. He insisted that he build the guitars for us as a final sign off on his career, I resisted because I am not that good on the guitar even after 30 years! He said, yeah, you're a hack but you're a pretty good hack :) Then he said even if I didn't play better I'd look cool playing the new guitar, LOL. Anyway, I ended up giving in and am so happy I did.

That's a nutshell story of my "Elpida" guitar. Thanks for asking.

Attachments

• IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 3

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem, although it's a long story. I'll do my best to keep it as brief as possible :)

It is made of bubinga, spruce top and the inlays are olive wood. The headstock has a tree representing the Tree of Life and the neck has the word "elpida" in Greek which means "hope". It was made by a dear friend of mine who was a master luthier (he has retired) and he made me, my wife and another friend's guitars. They are al pieces of art as well as sounding magnificent.

I have had it for about 3 years now and it is such a joy to play on it. He insisted that he build the guitars for us as a final sign off on his career, I resisted because I am not that good on the guitar even after 30 years! He said, yeah, you're a hack but you're a pretty good hack :) Then he said even if I didn't play better I'd look cool playing the new guitar, LOL. Anyway, I ended up giving in and am so happy I did.

That's a nutshell story of my "Elpida" guitar. Thanks for asking.

Thank you for sharing! It's absolutely stunning to look at! The story behind it makes it even better. I can't even imagine the tone with all of the TLC put into it. Cheers! :rockon:

Reactions: TRW

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys are aware, but one of the consequences resulting from the conflict in Russian and Ukraine is hitting the guitar community pretty hard. The timing couldn't be worse because they were already reeling from COVID supply chain issues. Russia was one of the main producers of vacuum tubes in the world. That tech from the early 1900's is still highly sought after for its amazing utility in the tone circuits of vintage and modern guitar amplifiers. Similarly to a light bulb, these tubes have a finite amount of hours on them and at this moment in time, if they go out, one will have a very difficult time replacing them rendering the amp basically useless. I'm hopeful that someone will step in and fill the, ahem, vacuum and start some production elsewhere, but it won't be in the near future and I'm sure the cost will be substantially higher than what we were used to.

Obviously, this is nothing in the grand scheme of things considering the amount of suffering going on over there, but just thought the guitar folks might want a heads up and make sure to keep their eyes open for tubes should you be wanting to extend the life of your equipment.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys are aware, but one of the consequences resulting from the conflict in Russian and Ukraine is hitting the guitar community pretty hard. The timing couldn't be worse because they were already reeling from COVID supply chain issues. Russia was one of the main producers of vacuum tubes in the world. That tech from the early 1900's is still highly sought after for its amazing utility in the tone circuits of vintage and modern guitar amplifiers. Similarly to a light bulb, these tubes have a finite amount of hours on them and at this moment in time, if they go out, one will have a very difficult time replacing them rendering the amp basically useless. I'm hopeful that someone will step in and fill the, ahem, vacuum and start some production elsewhere, but it won't be in the near future and I'm sure the cost will be substantially higher than what we were used to.

Obviously, this is nothing in the grand scheme of things considering the amount of suffering going on over there, but just thought the guitar folks might want a heads up and make sure to keep their eyes open for tubes should you be wanting to extend the life of your equipment.

I actually bought a tube combo around the holidays. Traynor YGL1 with two 12AX7’s and two EL84’s. I play pretty clean and quiet so the tubes should last a while. But I’m picking up a 12AY7 anyway to experiment so that’s a little more breathing room.

There’s actually a big tube retailer that happens to be local, which helps too. Did you see that Western Electric is planning to start domestic production in the US?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually bought a tube combo around the holidays. Traynor YGL1 with two 12AX7’s and two EL84’s. I play pretty clean and quiet so the tubes should last a while. But I’m picking up a 12AY7 anyway to experiment so that’s a little more breathing room.

There’s actually a big tube retailer that happens to be local, which helps too. Did you see that Western Electric is planning to start domestic production in the US?

I just got one of these around the same time you bought your Traynor:

It has five 12AX7's and two EL84's. My '68 Twin Reverb has two 12AT7's, four 12AX7's and four 6L6's! So, you can see why this little problem has my interest. I have another little combo that contains a similar compliment as your Traynor, but it's always on the fritz and I don't mess with it much these days. Not a fan of chasing dragons!

I'm excited to hear about Western Electric tooling up for some guitar oriented tubes! That's great news.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A boring note: I've been practicing 20+/- hours a week for 2 1/2 years, I still stink. I've learned a lot, but still struggle playing what I know. 75 year old fingers just don't move like they used to. It's completely disheartening and frustrating but I haven't quit.
I take an hour lesson every Wed and I grip all week over trying to play the previous weeks lesson. Today is Wed so I'm gripping. I'm having to take Zoom lessons and that makes it difficult to see some of the finer points of finger placement etc.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A boring note: I've been practicing 20+/- hours a week for 2 1/2 years, I still stink. I've learned a lot, but still struggle playing what I know. 75 year old fingers just don't move like they used to. It's completely disheartening and frustrating but I haven't quit.
I take an hour lesson every Wed and I grip all week over trying to play the previous weeks lesson. Today is Wed so I'm gripping. I'm having to take Zoom lessons and that makes it difficult to see some of the finer points of finger placement etc.

Have you been recording your practices? If you have, I bet you would be surprised how far you've come.

Maybe try and think about the journey more than the destination. Every lesson I go to just teaches me how much more there is to learn and that in itself tells me that it's worth it.

Reminds me of a thing my late father in law used to say, "No one quits playing golf because it's too easy."

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been recording your practices? If you have, I bet you would be surprised how far you've come.

Maybe try and think about the journey more than the destination. Every lesson I go to just teaches me how much more there is to learn and that in itself tells me that it's worth it.

Reminds me of a thing my late father in law used to say, "No one quits playing golf because it's too easy."

My instructor says I've made a lot of improvement but it's hard for me to hear it. I struggle keeping up with a metronome. I have to play so slowly, it doesn't sound like music.

Golf is the opposite. I used to be a solid 7 handicap but now I struggle to keep it under 90. btw, I'm coming to Phx next week to play golf. There's 20 of us that take a trip every year. Going to We ko pa. As a side note, I don't know why I take these trips. I get social anxiety any time I'm around people for any real length of time. I'm gripping over the trip too. They all get drunk and I don't drink so that makes it even worse. Plus, they're all wealthy professionals, doctors, lawyers, accountants, bankers, etc. There's one guy who's a contractor that I hang with. All the professionals go to some fancy restaurant or wine tasting and he and I go to In-n-Out. Why I do this to myself I just don't know. Breathe, Grasshopper.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most good instructors will always try to focus on the positive and some of us students tend to focus on what we can't do yet. Trust your instructor and trust the process. Keeping goals is important, but they have to be attainable too. It's a balancing act. I wish I could solo in every mode in every key and make it sound like Clapton, but that's not my reality. Most of my progress has come slowly, with my voice in particular. But every now and then, something clicks and I feel like I spring ahead. Sometimes it's just playing a song from a long time ago that got easier all of the sudden. Other times, I feel stuck. It's just the ebbs and flows like just about everything in life.

I think you're going to luck out on the weather next week so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Only you can decide whether these trips are good for you or not, but the fact that you're facing them head-on despite your concerns tells me it's just another hurdle to overcome in life and in my experience, there's always something to learn from facing things that way. I wish you the best, Grasshopper.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

I haven't quit trying to learn.. The $89 practice amp I had gave up the ghost. I'm moving up.. Finally bought an amp. Fender Blues Deluxe retro tweed.

I know Albert King is hiding inside me somewhere and I'm trying to set him free! I've only had it an hour and a half and my wife is ready to move out!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

I haven't quit trying to learn.. The $89 practice amp I had gave up the ghost. I'm moving up.. Finally bought an amp. Fender Blues Deluxe retro tweed.

I know Albert King is hiding inside me somewhere and I'm trying to set him free! I've only had it an hour and a half and my wife is ready to move out!

She's a beauty!

Congrats!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

The FBD should be nice and broken in by now, how are you liking her compared to your little practice amp?

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FBD should be nice and broken in by now, how are you liking her compared to your little practice amp?

Not quite broken in but there's a world of difference. I'm trying different settings to see what sounds I can get. I love it though. Still hacking away. I'm taking a break from lessons now for some personal reasons and the fact that my teacher fed me so much over the last year that I need to assimilate it all. I still practice almost every day but as you know, there's no shortcuts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose