Jordan Hicks

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly why if the Cardinals don’t progress from last year, Vance would never be considered as a replacement. Vance gives veterans too much of the benefit of the doubt. Even in his prime, Hicks always had a small margin for error. He’s since lost a step or two & is even more vulnerable on every play, run or pass. He a smart & savvy player, but it’s too obvious that Collins needs to play more than Hicks. Keim is not the guy to blame. Joseph is. Perhaps starting 2-0 allows Collins to continue to learn in practice, but you have to play the kid in GAMES for him to actually learn & gain confidence.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but Hicks is playing over Collins because of his mind, not his physical ability. He wears the green dot and calls the defensive plays. At this point, the Cards would rather have a guy make a late tackle, instead a guy being out of position and giving up monster plays/TD's. What they experienced early on with Simmons last year, caused them to rethink the strategy from draft day. I bet Collins is starting, or at least taking over 60% of the defensive snaps by week 10.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Seems to me our defense was stopping the run better in the second half and that was when I was having more Collins sightings on my wittle TV screen :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems to me our defense was stopping the run better in the second half and that was when I was having more Collins sightings on my wittle TV screen :)
There is no doubt that Collins is significantly quicker getting to the ball carrier & more apt to take him down than Hicks is. Hicks knows the D better & is probably better at positioning everyone else than Collins is at this point in time. But, smart QB’s & coaches know that Hicks is a liability & go right after him. If I‘m the DC, I spend day & night with Collins to speed up the process of him taking 80% of the snaps. Let’s be honest, we are a below average D with Hicks on the field. if Hicks continues to get the snaps he’s getting, our offense will need to average 35+ points in order for this team to make the playoffs.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect by year end collins will have a lot more snaps than he has now. Kudos to Hicks for earning playing time and the Captain label in the meantime.

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Exactly why if the Cardinals don’t progress from last year, Vance would never be considered as a replacement. Vance gives veterans too much of the benefit of the doubt. Even in his prime, Hicks always had a small margin for error. He’s since lost a step or two & is even more vulnerable on every play, run or pass. He a smart & savvy player, but it’s too obvious that Collins needs to play more than Hicks. Keim is not the guy to blame. Joseph is. Perhaps starting 2-0 allows Collins to continue to learn in practice, but you have to play the kid in GAMES for him to actually learn & gain confidence.
Does this remind you of another ILB from last year that was drafted in the first and got measly playing time until the end of the year...?

At this rate, do we wait until week 15-16 to see Collins emerge as starter...?! I sure hope not

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Does this remind you of another ILB from last year that was drafted in the first and got measly playing time until the end of the year...?

At this rate, do we wait until week 15-16 to see Collins emerge as starter...?! I sure hope not
I think it's safe to say that Collins has a simpler role than Simmons and that it should be easier to adapt

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no doubt that Collins is significantly quicker getting to the ball carrier & more apt to take him down than Hicks is. Hicks knows the D better & is probably better at positioning everyone else than Collins is at this point in time. But, smart QB’s & coaches know that Hicks is a liability & go right after him. If I‘m the DC, I spend day & night with Collins to speed up the process of him taking 80% of the snaps. Let’s be honest, we are a below average D with Hicks on the field. if Hicks continues to get the snaps he’s getting, our offense will need to average 35+ points in order for this team to make the playoffs.

Aren't there 10 other defensive players on the field?

Reaction score

This is simply not true.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does it really matter, if we are winning, who starts? Collins is going to play a lot.

Hicks' teammates and coaches think more highly of him than the fans do. Maybe they have reason to? Or, I dunno. Maybe Hicks has conned them all.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The hate goes too far on this board. Come on, his kind of work is what we need. Athleticism doesn't overtake everything. If Hicks' teammates trust him, that's a big deal.

I'll be rooting for Jordan Hicks all year.
I'll root for him too and he seems like a great dude. If only his on the field speed was as fast as his mind (he is slower than my grandma and that hurts the team).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Collins played 21% of snaps week 1 and 42% of snaps week 2. I expect it will be higher again vs the Jags.

This isn't another Simmons situation where he's playing 10%.

I think we all got a bit deluded that Collins was going to come into game 1 and call the defense and be some crazy stud LB. Simply unrealistic.

I think they are doing the right thing.

I also think Hicks is being largely judged on his PFF grade when as many here have said, you have to take it with a pinch of salt. Apparently De'Vondre Campbell is the 12th best linebacker in the league so far and thats with GB getting punked in game 1.

Of the 85 linebackers that have played enough snaps PFF have all but 36 with grades below 60. Which is suspicious in itself.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
oh man I love this board. last year I was banging the drum all year for "Hicks is on the field because of his mind." I guess I'll keep banging that drum and happy to do it since I played middle linebacker in high school.

many dont understand that middle backer is no different than QB in terms of mental demands. Maybe even more demanding because at least the QB gets to decide when to audible. Middle backer always has to react to QB audible and has less time to organize his team, given the fact that QB audible comes first.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If our DLine was performing as it should, Hicks would not be any sort of an issue.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are two/zero so its normal some users want see the good even when there isn't, unfortunately Hicks is big liability in the middle, and the field "speaks" clearly
Special mention to @Solar7 who wants to endorse Hicks, but no because he believes in Hicks as a player but just for his natural predisposition to be the contrary Mary

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If our DLine was performing as it should, Hicks would not be any sort of an issue.
So basically he needs jjwatt Chandler Jones and Corey Peters playing at their best
Isnt easier to play someone else, if u think a player can be adequate just if the upfront unit playing at their best, means the player is not any good

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So basically he needs jjwatt Chandler Jones and Corey Peters playing at their best
Isnt easier to play someone else, if u think a player can be adequate just if the upfront unit playing at their best, means the player is not any good

No I am saying that complaining about Hicks when Zach Allen was the real issue with the last game is short sighted.