Run Defense Terrible since 2020. Coaching or Talent?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This deserves it's own thread. Also note that you can learn as much about a game/team in a win as in a loss.

This run D has the potential to de-rail this young season... Is this coaching or talent issue ?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last year the Cardinals ranked 21st. Would they have won one more game last year if they ranked middle of the pack? This is a trend now

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This deserves it's own thread. Also note that you can learn as much about a game/team in a win as in a loss.

This run D has the potential to de-rail this young season... Is this coaching or talent issue ?

Both. You could clearly see the defensive formations setting us up for failure early in the game, and you could clearly see the DL just not holding up at points.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think first half scheme was the problem.
I watched two d-linemen and two linebackers outside the tackle with two linebackers 7 yards of the LOS.
It screamed to Cousins run the ball up the middle.

It’s great to see we adjusted at halftime.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We owned Henry last week and were much better the 2nd half of yesterday.

One bad half out of three is jumping the gun.

But also Allen, Lawrence and Fotu are not very good so it's never going to be great. Maybe if Philips comes back and stays healthy it will improve.

But also if I was Keim I'd be on the phone to Kawann Short or Geno Atkins agents.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think first half scheme was the problem.
I watched two d-linemen and two linebackers outside the tackle with two linebackers 7 yards of the LOS.
It screamed to Cousins run the ball up the middle.

It’s great to see we adjusted at halftime.

I can write off the first half but since 2020 they average 21st in the league or worse... There is a larger issue here right?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first half we were gashed. The second half, the defense held their offense to three points.

The Vikings had an excellent game plan. They saw tendencies they could exploit and they did. As the game went on, we adjusted and played just well enough to get the W. The defense is just as responsible for the win as the offense or special teams. Every play counted. Even on the last drive, one more broken tackle would have put the Vikings closer and that FG would have been good.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We owned Henry last week and were much better the 2nd half of yesterday.

One bad half out of three is jumping the gun.

But also Allen, Lawrence and Fotu are not very good so it's never going to be great. Maybe if Philips comes back and stays healthy it will improve.
In isolation what you said is true. Combined with 2020, has things changed?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

VJ runs a wide 9 scheme a lot of times and that is vulnerable to off tackle runs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We were 14th in rushing DVOA last year. I'm not super-concerned. Teams are passing more than ever; if you can lock down the pass the rush matters less.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In 2020 all NFC West Teams are 13 spots better than Arizona in rushing defense. 49ers if they had healthy Jimmy G they were a playoff team too in 2020.

Are you all sure this rushing defense is not bad and a cause for concern? May be you guys are too hung up on week 1 when there are 17 other games since 2020 that tells this unit is not good?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budda said they made some adjustment at halftime but wouldn't say what it was.

One of them was more run blitzes.

Also can't be said enough he came back in but those 2 big hits that put Cook out of the game for a couple of minutes played a large role. He was still good but he wasn't as good after those hits.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was great in week 1 so maybe it is terrible since yesterday and then will be good next week.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Many posters are purposefully ignoring the ranking from 2020 onwards... This team is not going far in NFC West without atleast 20-30% improvement in run defense.....

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t think we have big run stuffers like Dan Williams/Frostee Rucker. Someone whose hard to move and take up a lot of space.

With that being said, Cook is an elite back and the Vikes are a running team. But we did shut down Henry who lit up the Seahawks

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many posters are purposefully ignoring the ranking from 2020 onwards... This team is not going far in NFC West without atleast 20-30% improvement in run defense.....

It's early but it's not clear to me that pass defense isn't more important than run defense right now because it seems like everyone has a QB and 2 WR's and can put up 300 yards on you if you don't get after them.

Long term yeah the run defense has to get better I'm hoping some of that will come from Zaven Collins as he gets better.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t think we have big run stuffers like Dan Williams/Frostee Rucker. Someone whose hard to move and take up a lot of space.

With that being said, Cook is an elite back and the Vikes are a running team. But we did shut down Henry who lit up the Seahawks

Note that this is a pretty healthy team on the front 7 Cardinals are fielding. Injury attrition is going to happen. If they are about average now, what are we looking at in week 8 onwards?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

We were 7th in weighted defense DVOA at the end of last year. Our weighted rush DVOA was 11th. For the last half of 2020 our rush DVOA was 11th.

We have Corey Peters (still). Leki Fotu is 6'5", 330 lbs. Y'all need to relax.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Note that this is a pretty healthy team on the front 7 Cardinals are fielding. Injury attrition is going to happen. If they are about average now, what are we looking at in week 8 onwards?
We haven’t even heard of Gardeck’s name. Has he been cleared to play? Albeit he’s a pass rusher but I also think we are pretty deep rotation wise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We haven’t even heard of Gardeck’s name. Has he been cleared to play. Albeit he’s a pass rusher but I also think we are pretty deep rotation wise.

Forgot about Gardeck. Hope he can play from October. As you said, not going to help in run defense. They need a stuffer and they may have to sign some off the street.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose