Vikings @ Cardinals postgame thread

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
The alarm bells should start to go off like now. If all the players suck at something is it play calling or talent?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's just odd because they didn't suck at it in week 1, so it's not a trend yet.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The alarm bells should start to go off like now. If all the players suck at something is it play calling or talent?

Dalvin Cook is good. I imagine this happens a lot for teams that play Dalvin.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't want to see the rest. Some of them are ugly. I also disagree with PFF on most of them.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Nah, me and my broken down 45 year old with a healing broken leg could've gotten 3 or 4 yards a pop in that game, where we were playing a battered OL. We STUNK up the field against the fun, and it had little to do with the RB. Gaping, wide open holes where he wasn't even touched for 5 or so yards. Yes, his cut backs led to much additional yardage, but he would've still been crushing us regardless.

Loloololloooll!!! That is so good.

Man, we have some of the best play calls when we beat the Vikes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't want to see the rest. Some of them are ugly. I also disagree with PFF on most of them.

But I will tell you Zach Allen had a 23.5 grade. Because I don't like him and I'm petty.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how Kyler thinks this is a TD without the small (and late) helmet grab. The safety is always in a better position to get the ball than Kirk.

Not a TD, but probably a bang bang incomplete play at the endzone given his arm strength.

As with the first int though there is a guy wide open underneath.

Still probably should have been a flag.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They ran right at Chandler Jones multiple times to keep him back as a pass rusher. The rest were just constantly out of position on cutbacks

Where is Hopkins on that list?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They ran right at Chandler Jones multiple times to keep him back as a pass rusher. The rest were just constantly out of position on cutbacks

Hopkins was 61.8. Don't @ me.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Chandler is a liability in run D?

Seriously WTH with Hopkins not on this list?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

According to PFF he was. I am not saying he is a liability but it is a way you attack a pass rusher is to make them worried about being out of position during off tackle runs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to PFF he was. I am not saying he is a liability but it is a way you attack a pass rusher is to make them worried about being out of position during off tackle runs.

In my opinion Vance sent them out there with the wrong plan.

I think, like many of us, that he thought his game plan vs the Titans would work vs the Vikings and that they could be aggressive on the pass rush vs guys like Hill.

That zone blocking scheme and the way Cook runs is a whole different kettle of fish. It's much tougher to hold your ground and guys were being swept aside. Credit for changing it up but I think a lot of the bad performance was down to bad planning.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopkins was 61.8. Don't @ me.
As the second half went on, I paid a lot of attention to Hopkins and Murray. I swear, Murray did not even look his way the entire second half. Murray was making the correct reads on the coverage. But a WR like Hopkins beats good coverage routinely. On the interception TD, just before Murray passed, Hopkins beat Peterson and maybe would've have scored a TD. But, Murray never checked him. And, that just continued the entire second half.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think some people are being a bit harsh because the Vikings had the opportunity to win and didn't. It's not what happens in the last second that decides the outcome, it's what happens over 4 quarters.

We came back from 2 scores down to lead at the half. When the defense was struggling the offense didn't buckle as they have done in the past. Including Kliff who called a great game and managed the clock well.

In the 2nd half the defense deserves credit for adjusting and really closing down the Vikings. They only had 3 offensive points in the 2nd half and they only got them due to the roughing the kicker flag. The defense really deserves more credit for a great 2nd half, if they played like that the whole game this board would be raving about them.

The issue was, apart from a little of Q3 we didn't have both offense and defense firing at the same time.

I thought Kliff did a good job. He normally puckers up in tight games like this but while not perfect I thought his play calling and game management were much better. I thought he did a good job of getting the balls to guys like Maxx Williams (94 yards! So close to 100!).

The only thing Kliff did that really confused me was not using the his final timeout of the Vikings last drive. He let 20+ seconds run off at the end that we could have had for a slim chance to win the game had they made the kick.

At least he didn't try ice the kicker. It would have been so Kliff to call a TO as he kicked, miss it and then put it in after the time out for us to lose.

For me this was a great all round team win where all 3 phases and some good coaching came together. It wasn't perfect, but football games rarely are. The Titans win was the exception, not the rule.
After sleeping on this, I had a thought...I bet the Vikings knew the Cards still had a TO and that was communicated to the kicker, snapper, holder...and maybe, just maybe everyone on that side all assumed KK would ice the kicker. They thought they would just go through the motions on the kick and get an automatic do-over. In the end, KK outsmarted them, though.

I don't know...it's just a thought I had.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Snap counts

Zaven Collins up to 41% this week. Daniels and Harris paid the price for being poor vs the Titans.

What was Watt's week 1 snap count? I didn't realize they played him so much yesterday.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
He was 2nd leading rusher in NFL last year, with over 1500 yards, for a reason. Dude is good. He's the perfect/prototypical zone blocking cutback runner...and the Vikings run it well. It doesn't take a world-beating offensive line to be successful with it, too.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

I wouldn't say he's a liability...The Vikings can run those cutback plays from passing formations. It really keeps pass rushing defenses on their toes, or heels as we saw yesterday. The easiest way to take a good defender out of the game is to run right at him AND double team him. Yesterday was more about scheme and matchups...and credit Vance the defense...they did much better after halftime with good adustments.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose