Looking at stats

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy who we need to get going better is Green. 12 targets 5 catches so far, 2-3 of those were catchable he had a drop yesterday the one he stepped out last game and the one in the endzone where he didn't shield the defender off but Kyler has to get better rapport with Green. Rondale with 11 catches leads the team, also has the most targets with 13. We can't let teams just take D Hop away but you could see what happened yesterday and it wasn't PP it was them essentially doubling him with Harrison Smith the bulk of the game. If you looked there were a bunch of plays where Kyler took a quick look that way saw the double and went elsewhere. D Hop will want more touches as the year goes on but right now 13, 12, 12 and 9 for targets from our 4 WR's looks like pretty good distribution.

The RB's look like so far it's working, Edmonds 5.4 YPC in 20 carries getting the bigger chunks, Conner only 3.3 in 24 carries getting the tough yard carries.

We still need a TE but if Maxx can do more like yesterday that's a big help.

One good sign is Kyler has only 10 runs in 2 games he hasn't HAD to run to keep us on schedule yet. I'm sure there will be games he has to but right now the ratio of pass to run for him is good.

Thompson is 3rd in tackles again some of them downfield but so far he's been real good at getting guys down. SImmons is the tackles leader still has lots of room to improve but he's much improved this year against the run.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The guy who we need to get going better is Green. 12 targets 5 catches so far, 2-3 of those were catchable he had a drop yesterday the one he stepped out last game and the one in the endzone where he didn't shield the defender off but Kyler has to get better rapport with Green. Rondale with 11 catches leads the team, also has the most targets with 13. We can't let teams just take D Hop away but you could see what happened yesterday and it wasn't PP it was them essentially doubling him with Harrison Smith the bulk of the game. If you looked there were a bunch of plays where Kyler took a quick look that way saw the double and went elsewhere. D Hop will want more touches as the year goes on but right now 13, 12, 12 and 9 for targets from our 4 WR's looks like pretty good distribution.

The RB's look like so far it's working, Edmonds 5.4 YPC in 20 carries getting the bigger chunks, Conner only 3.3 in 24 carries getting the tough yard carries.

One good sign is Kyler has only 10 runs in 2 games he hasn't HAD to run to keep us on schedule yet. I'm sure there will be games he has to but right now the ratio of pass to run for him is good.

Thompson is 3rd in tackles again some of them downfield but so far he's been real good at getting guys down. SImmons is the tackles leader still has lots of room to improve but he's much improved this year against the run.

One of my biggest disappointments yesterday was their usage of Green. He ended up with a reasonable stat line and a TD but he was one on one all game in man coverage against Breeland. They could have thrown it too him all game and 9 times out of 10 he would come down with it.

I thought they missed a big opportunity there for easy yards.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought the pass to Green in the end zone was thrown slightly behind Green on purpose. If Kyler would have lead Green, Green may have gotten his taken off by the safety coming across. Too bad AJ doesn't have the body control like Dhop. But the throw before the one in the end zone, AJ should had that one.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the pass to Green in the end zone was thrown slightly behind Green on purpose. If Kyler would have lead Green, Green may have gotten his taken off by the safety coming across. Too bad AJ doesn't have the body control like Dhop. But the throw before the one in the end zone, AJ should had that one.

I actually meant the one in the first game in the endzone that looked like uncalled PI but you're right about this one.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It appears Kliff runs "his" offense irrespective of matchups (Example, Green over Breeland). There were more throws to middle of the field where vikings are stronger compared to their CB positions towards the go routes.. Head scratching display of play calling from Kliff most of the times.

Also, it is third year has anyone felt the offense has rhythm once they get their grove on?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It appears Kliff runs "his" offense irrespective of matchups (Example, Green over Breeland). There were more throws to middle of the field where vikings are stronger compared to their CB positions towards the go routes.. Head scratching display of play calling from Kliff most of the times.

This has been a Kliff issue. Nearly every other offense plans matchups as part of their game plan. For example, on 3rd down yesterday you would find Theilen almost always lined up on Hamilton.

Kliff just seems to role his plays out irrespective of matchups, and doesn't move his players around to take advantage. It's already pretty set in stone that Nuk is wide left. Moore is left slot. Kirk is right slot and Green outside right. While there has been the occasional change (which is something I guess) it's still pretty rigid and good defenses will pick it apart.

I thought Kliff had one of his best days yesterday, possibly even his best, but it was poor that he just left Hopkins out on the left the whole game and didn't move him around. Even if just to make the Vikings defense uncomfortable with having to change their plan. Hell, put him in motion pre snap even.

And as you said, I thought not using Green more vs Breeland was a poor choice. There were a lot more yards to be had there with him 1 vs 1.

Kliff is getting better but still room to improve.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This has been a Kliff issue. Nearly every other offense plans matchups as part of their game plan. For example, on 3rd down yesterday you would find Theilen almost always lined up on Hamilton.

Kliff just seems to role his plays out irrespective of matchups, and doesn't move his players around to take advantage. It's already pretty set in stone that Nuk is wide left. Moore is left slot. Kirk is right slot and Green outside right. While there has been the occasional change (which is something I guess) it's still pretty rigid and good defenses will pick it apart.

I thought Kliff had one of his best days yesterday, possibly even his best, but it was poor that he just left Hopkins out on the left the whole game and didn't move him around. Even if just to make the Vikings defense uncomfortable with having to change their plan. Hell, put him in motion pre snap even.

And as you said, I thought not using Green more vs Breeland was a poor choice. There were a lot more yards to be had there with him 1 vs 1.

Kliff has his methods. Offense is missing something despite Murray playing like MVP. Cannot put a finger on it. Is it Rhythm? Identity? Just doesn't feel as sustainable when compared to say Rams, Bucs, Chiefs etc...

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You guys do realize we have the #2 ranked offense and 3 INTs are all on Kyler. Meaning make a better decision and we probably have 14 more points over last 2 games which would have us too
Scoring tram and probably beat offense. KK is putting us in a good situations. I don’t think anywhere he knows what is suppose to be the first option on the correct option. Meaning in film room there may be WRs open that we don’t necessarily see on the tv. We have scored 34+ points back to back and haven’t played great great. But I don’t think that’s on KK

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I said at halftime even if Breeland can come back in after injuring some of the thousands of muscles in his lower back, it would suggest we're going to attack him with passes the whole 2nd half. We did more but nothing like what I was expecting. I do wonder if that's Kyler just isn't as comfortable with AJ yet but that doesn't make sense the targets are similar just not the results.

Obviously the throws to Moore are much easier throws half of them are behind the LOS, but right now Kyler and AJ are just not clicking it's one of the few issues on offense I see, that and the turnovers.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think it's charted wrong. Murray has SEVEN total incompletions. That would mean that all of those incompletions were to Green and that's clearly NOT true.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kliff has his methods. Offense is missing something despite Murray playing like MVP. Cannot put a finger on it. Is it Rhythm? Identity? Just doesn't feel as sustainable when compared to say Rams, Bucs, Chiefs etc...
The running game still doesn't really get going, but part of that is due to how teams defend the Cardinals. They tend to really try to get to Murray and that also tends to stop the run well too.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's charted wrong. Murray has SEVEN total incompletions. That would mean that all of those incompletions were to Green and that's clearly NOT true.

That's 2 games of stats Murray is 50 of 68 so 18 total incompletions.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's 2 games of stats Murray is 50 of 68 so 18 total incompletions.

I said a 70% completion season was coming based on natural progression. Right now we might be staring at a 71% season, which would be Drew Brees territory. He would eclipse Watson as the youngest to get over 70%

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AJ Green had a couple of plays I really didn't like yesterday. At times, he didn't run his routes hard. One time, Kyler was scrambling and winds up throwing the ball away. On that side of the field is AJ Green, and he is just standing there. Makes no effort to come back for the ball and help his QB at all. The other, was a run play after he got called for holding. His response to that, was to not make a block at all. He didn't even try. Just did a light jog in the vicinity of who he should've blocked and it was a short gain because of that.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said at halftime even if Breeland can come back in after injuring some of the thousands of muscles in his lower back, it would suggest we're going to attack him with passes the whole 2nd half. We did more but nothing like what I was expecting. I do wonder if that's Kyler just isn't as comfortable with AJ yet but that doesn't make sense the targets are similar just not the results.

Obviously the throws to Moore are much easier throws half of them are behind the LOS, but right now Kyler and AJ are just not clicking it's one of the few issues on offense I see, that and the turnovers.

Its a money ball though. Breeland never gets his eyes back to the ball.

Kyler could just throw it up in Greens direction and its either a Green catch or a PI.

It was a wasted opportunity I thought.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think Marcus Golden got credit for the sack yesterday but IMO, it was Chandler's. He came around the corner and dove at his legs...Golden kind of fell on top.