Situational Football

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Dogs it on a sure first down if he hustled and throws an int everyone in the stadium could see ahead of time..

Yeah I don't know why he let up on that one and got caught from behind that was a weird play

The one K9 is talking about he should have just slid down inbounds for a 3 yard gain so they have to use a Timeout.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really think Kliff is so insecure about being a meme McVay/Shanahan that he refuses to run pre-snap motion more. Ran it for a good bit in 2019 & only runs in 1st halves now it seems like. Mind-boggling.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching on TV also and he threw a lot of short passes after the INT's and held the ball to long

He was hesitant to throw long

Just what I saw

I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't recall too much of that. They were doubling D Hop and playing 2 deep safety so the underneath stuff was there. He had a nice throw downfield to AJ and the nice throw to Kirk but for the most part the Vikings scheme took away the deep stuff IMO

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was watching on TV also and he threw a lot of short passes after the INT's and held the ball to long

He was hesitant to throw long

Just what I saw
Yeah he played scared, lost some confidence after the second interception, and almost wasted everything good he did
He must step up in those situations and let it go, like nothing can affect his plays

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
30TD 30INT Winston? No he’s far very from from that type of player
You don’t think the telegraphed pick-six was Winston-esq? Or throwing it into the middle of the field where only the DB could make the play? I’m not equating the two, but the decisions Murray make are sometimes baffling. Fortunately for him, he has the athleticism to overcome gaffs, but I don’t want him to rely solely on it

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't recall too much of that. They were doubling D Hop and playing 2 deep safety so the underneath stuff was there. He had a nice throw downfield to AJ and the nice throw to Kirk but for the most part the Vikings scheme took away the deep stuff IMO
Yea they even said on TV the Vikings were playing 2 high. Kyler did right by being patient. I dont know what Bull is talking about. The dumb run sure. However, we lost the Lions game last year because Kyler was forcing deep passes instead of taking what was there.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
he played really well, but yea that last series was pro Vikings for sure. But regardless we need to establish the run, did s0me to calm the game then back to passing ourselves to death one dimensionally

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You don’t think the telegraphed pick-six was Winston-esq? Or throwing it into the middle of the field where only the DB could make the play? I’m not equating the two, but the decisions Murray make are sometimes baffling. Fortunately for him, he has the athleticism to overcome gaffs, but I don’t want him to rely solely on it
Im not seeing what was "so" bad about the 1st pick. That looked like he clearly thought the LB couldnt get there. He underestimated just how long that guys arm were. Great play overall by the LB.

The 2nd int was Jameis Winston esque. Even then they got away with a hit to the helmet. The ints disappointment, but I wouldnt go Jameis.

I obviously didnt post back then. However, there must have been major threads questioning Palmer's football IQ after throwing so many ints that 1st year right.

Too many Farve like plays, but wrongly thinking his arm is Farve's level.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not seeing what was "so" bad about the 1st pick. That looked like he clearly thought the LB couldnt get there. He underestimated just how long that guys arm were. Great play overall by the LB.

The 2nd int was Jameis Winston esque. Even then they got away with a hit to the helmet. The ints disappointment, but I wouldnt go Jameis.

I obviously didnt post back then. However, there must have been major threads questioning Palmer's football IQ after throwing so many ints that 1st year right.

Too many Farve like plays, but wrongly thinking his arm is Farve's level.

I need a better angle on the 2nd pick I think the contact impacted the throw but was there another WR there or just the guy we saw on camera? Because it's just the guy we saw on camera just a terrible decision to throw it there.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I need a better angle on the 2nd pick I think the contact impacted the throw but was there another WR there or just the guy we saw on camera? Because it's just the guy we saw on camera just a terrible decision to throw it there.
Yea it was a terrible decision. Id say his other 2 ints this year were from having too much faith in his arm. It did look like he got his helmet contacted so maybe he thought he was getting a penalty either way it was the wrong time and place try that throw. We were in FG range.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Completed 81% of his passes for 400 yards, threw for 3, and ran for 30 yards & a 4th touchdown. No Cardinal QB in our history could do that. Sure, he needs to clean up a few things. They all do. Lamar Jackson just threw a pick 6. We have a 24 year old SUPERSTAR as the QB of our AZ Cardinals. And you’re really going to be critical. Lighten up my friend.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I got yelled at here when I questioned Kyler’s football intelligence. I think he’s supremely talented, but I often think he makes a series of Jameis Winston-type decisions
The Cards in general seem to do the simple things poorly and the spectacular things well

Kyler is almost representative of us as a whole.

I'm sure on his way through high school and college he made small errors - missing out on a yard to get a 1st down, not throwing it away when pressured, clock management mistakes etc.

However he had the talent to get out of it on the next play. The little errors didn't matter because he was running in TDs himself and throwing dimes.

A less talented QB has to be good at the little things. Can't just talent his way out of a situation.

Kyler still does this to a degree at NFL level but gets burned at times.

That's one of the exciting things about him - there's room for improvement. Having Colt McCoy there will hopefully help him round off the rough edges.

In his first couple of seasons he's seemed a little sensitive to criticism. Acknowledging that there are areas he can improve is not a sign of weakness. Will be truly special if he can tidy up the things people have mentioned in this thread.

The difficult stuff that is impossible to teach he can do in his sleep.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose