The new and improved Kliff Kingsbury

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not to take anything from KK but if I'm hearing Murray right at least 2 of the TD's sunday were audibles. It came across my FB feed he was describing them. One is really not an audible the play where he rolled and hit D Hop for the TD wasn't an audible but he improvised to keep the play alive and then hit the WR who also improvised so not a called play. The one to Kirk the moon ball, that was an audible. Kyler said he recognized they had "zero coverage" so he checked to a different play, he even joked Kliff may not have liked what I was doing on the sideline but it worked and that's the bottom line with him as long as it makes sense and works I check on any given play
Exactly what you want from your franchise QB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Definitely had some concerns with Kliff heading into this season. Game 1 looks like he has adjusted some and was a great start. That said, one game does not make a season and the big test will be how the Cardinals finish out the year. Happy for a week and hope to see more of the same vs Minnesota whose scheme will be another nice test.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I posted this in the Vikings thread but it should probably be here

All I am going to say is that very few, if any, OTs are going to be successful when the QB has a 10 yard drop in the pocket. I didn't notice this in the game but it seems consistent on most of his gun snaps. He might need to be under C just for that.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to take anything from KK but if I'm hearing Murray right at least 2 of the TD's sunday were audibles. It came across my FB feed he was describing them. One is really not an audible the play where he rolled and hit D Hop for the TD wasn't an audible but he improvised to keep the play alive and then hit the WR who also improvised so not a called play. The one to Kirk the moon ball, that was an audible. Kyler said he recognized they had "zero coverage" so he checked to a different play, he even joked Kliff may not have liked what I was doing on the sideline but it worked and that's the bottom line with him as long as it makes sense and works I check on any given play
Every single game people complain about Kliff's playcalls. What is almost never mentioned, is Murray has complete freedom to audible. So, how do we know the play we just watched was actually the play Kliff called? Answer: We have no clue if KK or K1 called that play.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was pissed because of the late substitutions by the Titans.
The second timeout was just ridiculous and KK was furious. Five seconds on the clock and the Titans player was 8 yards in our backfield and doing a light jog. And, the ref did absolutely nothing. But, in the game thread, the knives came out for Kliff.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I posted this in the Vikings thread but it should probably be here

I was just about to post this article.

The flaw in logic I see is that he pans Kliffs offense but then says that Murray is actually BETTER when he plays within the offense.

Even on some of Murray's big plays, he bailed when he didn't have to.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing Kyler under center was a big revelation for me. Same with Hopkins in the slot.

I saw this on the Vikings board and I think it bears repeating.

Cardinals Scoring:

2018: 225
2019: 361
2020: 410

In two years we have almost doubled our scoring in a season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Seeing Kyler under center was a big revelation for me. Same with Hopkins in the slot.

I saw this on the Vikings board and I think it bears repeating.

Cardinals Scoring:

2018: 225
2019: 361
2020: 410

In two years we have almost doubled our scoring in a season.
But Kingsbury doesn't know what he's doing!

You'd think he was Mike McCoy the way he is talked about on this board.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The flaw in logic I see is that he pans Kliffs offense but then says that Murray is actually BETTER when he plays within the offense.

i think some of this is expectations (with the Ringer leading the charge two seasons ago) -- they were excited for this wide open, 5 wide every play kind of offense. What they got was a NFL offense with Air Raid influences.

Lots of offenses are pretty standard. McVay, Shanahan and Reid run route combos and concepts over and over again.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am no fan of his but it's hard to dispute those numbers. I found it interesting he is thought of well by an opposing fan base.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am no fan of his but it's hard to dispute those numbers. I found it interesting he is thought of well by an opposing fan base.
I went to a couple of boards and read their pregame threads. I was surprised that it was almost unanimous we are the far better team and we are going to win. The vikings do have some injury problems on defense that are making them even more pessimistic.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

You're banging this drum pretty hard after one game. We have two years of a whole lot of bad tendencies. This season CAN put a lot of concerns to bed, but one game isn't nearly enough. Time will tell. Hope to God I'm 100 percent wrong on KK.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're banging this drum pretty hard after one game. We have two years of a whole lot of bad tendencies. This season CAN put a lot of concerns to bed, but one game isn't nearly enough. Time will tell. Hope to God I'm 100 percent wrong on KK.
2018: 225 pts - (14.1) rank#32

2019: 361 pts - (22.6) rank#16

2020: 410 pts - (25.6) rank#13*

* prior to KM damaging his shoulder he had 10tds on the ground and after.......... 1.

Spot a trend?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He has had stretches where his offense has looked pretty good....its not just one game.

His game management has been questionable at times, no doubt.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
2018: 225 pts - (14.1) rank#32

2019: 361 pts - (22.6) rank#16

2020: 410 pts - (25.6) rank#13*

* prior to KM damaging his shoulder he had 10tds on the ground and after.......... 1.

Spot a trend?
Kliffs offense was clearly working up until about game 9.

The concept that it was all Murray just isn't true. Even the Ringer article states that Murrah plays better when he plays within the offense. I know when experts have done film study, Murray misses a ton of open receivers or checks down too often.

I'm kind of in the camp that thinks the relationship between QB and offense can work. Murray has to get better and KK needs to adapt a bit. Both have only scratched their ceilings and I think soon we will see the top scoring offense in Cardinals history.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to a couple of boards and read their pregame threads. I was surprised that it was almost unanimous we are the far better team and we are going to win. The vikings do have some injury problems on defense that are making them even more pessimistic.

I have 2 friends from school who are huge Vikings fans that are both in my fantasy league. One of them I beat last week. They both said on FB they expect the Vikings to lose and they're not the type that just says that in past years if we played them they would always say we're going to win easily.

For whatever reason that one game really changed perception for lots of people.

As a longtime fan I'm still cautiously skeptical because of history but I do think we have a chance to be a very good team if we can stay the course.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have 2 friends from school who are huge Vikings fans that are both in my fantasy league. One of them I beat last week. They both said on FB they expect the Vikings to lose and they're not the type that just says that in past years if we played them they would always say we're going to win easily.

For whatever reason that one game really changed perception for lots of people.

As a longtime fan I'm still cautiously skeptical because of history but I do think we have a chance to be a very good team if we can stay the course.

The problem is that's the easy choice. The Cards whooped a team many think are good in the Titans and the Viks lost to a team many think is bad.

The problem is nobody knows. Titans may well be bad and Bengals might be decent.

Easy Cards win is the obvious call but game this early very rarely stay on script.

On saying that the only places I think they match up with us is WR and RB.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
seems the runningest coach in the history of earth according to the cards website! I mean I’ll take it compared to air red he came with. I like 4 carries by Kyler but one run, could rub out the smallest unicorn ever drafted. Not that he ain’t built to run he is, but has a damn fine arm also!
I’m not as all run as most label me, but I do not think we will see the best of KM, KK or a cardinals Super Bowl championship, until our run game is a primary weapon, earning the hard way r/p options and play action, especially bad weather late season and playoff games. 17 game season will be a marathon with a 21 game potential! we started 13 passes to 3 runs, hope we can be truly 3 dimensional - you know at will - like the Titans ain’t. No run no hope for Tennessee

Kliff Kingsbury​

HEAD COACH​

• Became an NFL head coach for the first time when hired by Arizona on January 8, 2019. Kingsbury came to Arizona after spending six seasons (2013-18) as the head coach at his alma mater, Texas Tech.
  • In his first two seasons with the Cardinals, Kingsbury helped lead a turnaround that resulted in a two-win improvement following his first year in 2019 and a three-win improvement after his second season in 2020.
  • Arizona went from the NFL’s 32nd ranked offense in 2018 to 16th in 2019 and then to 6th in 2020. The Cardinals went from the NFL’s 32nd ranked run game in 2018 to 10th in 2019 and then to 7th in 2020.
  • In two seasons under Kingsbury (2019-20), the Cardinals have rushed for 4,227 yards and 40 TDs. Arizona joins Baltimore, Tennessee, San Francisco and New Orleans as the only five teams in the NFL to have rushed for 4,000+ yards and 40+ TDs during that span.
  • In 2020, Arizona finished top-10 in total offense (#6), rushing yards/game (#7), rushing TDs (#4) and offensive TDs (#10) while compiling 6,153 total net yards, the third-best season total in team history.
  • The Cardinals rushed for 2,237 yards and 22 TDs in 2020. It marked just the sixth time in franchise history – and first time since 1984 – that Arizona had 2,000+ rushing yards and 20+ rushing TDs in a season. In 2019, Arizona established a franchise single-season record with a 5.03-yard rushing average as a team.
  • Arizona has gone without a turnover in 10 games under Kingsbury, including a franchise-record seven games without a turnover in 2019.
  • Recognized as one of the profession’s brightest and most-innovative offensive minds, Kingsbury has built a reputation for his work with QBs. Under Kingsbury’s tutelage, Arizona’s QB Kyler Murray – the #1 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft – was named AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2019 and earned his first career Pro Bowl selection in 2020.
  • Among the QBs Kingsbury mentored in the college ranks were first-round selections Patrick Mahomes (2018 NFL MVP and Super Bowl LIV MVP), Baker Mayfield and Johnny Manziel as well as Case Keenum, Davis Webb and Nic Shimonek. Under Kingsbury’s guidance, Mahomes (2016) and Keenum (2009, ’11) both led the nation in passing.
  • In eight seasons (2011-18) as a head coach/offensive coordinator at the college level, a Kingsbury-led offense never finished outside the top-20 in the nation in total offense and never finished outside the top-15 in passing offense.
  • While at Texas Tech, Kingsbury served as the play-caller for one of the college football’s most explosive and productive offenses. The Red Raiders featured a passing attack that ranked in the top-10 in the country in all six seasons of his tenure, ranked in the top-20 nationally for total offense in all six seasons and finished in the top-25 in scoring five times.
  • Kingsbury also coached at Texas A&M (2012) and at the University of Houston (2008-11) where he began his coaching career.
  • At both Houston (2011) and Texas Tech (2016), Kingsbury’s offenses led the nation in total offense and passing offense.