Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
38m
Free agent center Jahlil Okafor is signing a non-guaranteed deal with the Atlanta Hawks, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Real GM, Jazz waive 6'5" power forward Jarrell Brantley. I believe this is the correct height.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Per Real GM, Jazz waive 6'5" power forward Jarrell Brantley. I believe this is the correct height.

Is it wrong that I want the Suns to sign him just to watch some people's heads explode?

:pullhair: 6'5" PF?!? James Jones has lost his mind!!!!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong that I want the Suns to sign him just to watch some people's heads explode?

:pullhair: 6'5" PF?!? James Jones has lost his mind!!!!
Yeah but we clearly need help at the 4, what kind of loser team can't even sign a 6'5 PF to the team? This is starting to remind me of the 2005 season when Sarver was too cheap to sign any decent free agents. Will Booker, Paul and Ayton still be on the team a month from now once they realize we're not even going to try to plug the huge hole we have at power forward? Not signing this guy the moment he was released will set this franchise back at least a decade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if Marc Gasol ends up with the Warriors.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not going to go there with respect to that specific player, AzStevenCal, as I don't think he would be of any help, but you don't find it at all curious that while literally every other playoff team in the Western Conference continues trying to improve their rosters, the Suns are just sitting on their hands with at least one open roster spot, anywhere from $5 million to $10 million in cap exemptions to spend, and their biggest hole still unaddressed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a team fills roster spots, get the player you want. A team can add a warm body anytime this season.

I think the Suns want a contributor. Last season the Suns roster was filled with too many smalls. Making a move for the sake of making a move is not going to help the team. They didn't get Torrey Craig until March of last season. I should also add Cam Payne was a late addition.

I don't want to be kicking myself later in the season thinking if the Suns had waited they could have had that player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When a team fills roster spots, get the player you want. A team can add a warm body anytime this season.

I think the Suns want a contributor. Last season the Suns roster was filled with too many smalls. Making a move for the sake of making a move is not going to help the team. They didn't get Torrey Craig until March of last season. I should also add Cam Payne was a late addition.

I don't want to be kicking myself later in the season thinking if the Suns had waited they could have had that player.

But they have at least two minimum contracts at the end of the bench (Nader and Kaminsky) that they can jettison without consequence if they fill their remaining spot now and find someone they want to add and need to open up a roster spot later. Plus if what they are waiting for is a trade for someone like Thaddeus Young, that would be a 2 for 1 where the Suns would open up yet another roster spot, anyway.

There is therefore zero reason not to try to fill the spot with the best available and willing power forward right now, before training camp starts.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to go there with respect to that specific player, AzStevenCal, as I don't think he would be of any help, but you don't find it at all curious that while literally every other playoff team in the Western Conference continues trying to improve their rosters, the Suns are just sitting on their hands with at least one open roster spot, anywhere from $5 million to $10 million in cap exemptions to spend, and their biggest hole still unaddressed?

We're getting close to luxury tax level so I'd expect us to be looking for someone that's going to make a difference, not just fill a roster spot. And I'll take our off-season over that of many teams including some playoff contenders.

You tend to overreact almost every time some end of the bench guy gets signed but we aren't going to collect the hanger-ons in search of a ring, probably by design but also because we aren't that big of a draw for those kind of players.

I've said this so many times and in so many ways but I'll say it again, we need help but we mostly need someone that can clearly beat out either our starting power forward or our backup power forward. Other than T Young I don't believe that's the case for ANY of the names that have surfaced the past month or so.

This all goes back to your insistence that Cameron Johnson can only play the small forward spot. I agree he cannot be our only playable backup forward but he has proved time and again to be valuable as a stretch 4. We need a more traditional PF at times but the bulk of the minutes would likely still go to Cam unless we got someone better than the castoffs others are picking up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We're getting close to luxury tax level so I'd expect us to be looking for someone that's going to make a difference, not just fill a roster spot. And I'll take our off-season over that of many teams including some playoff contenders.

You tend to overreact almost every time some end of the bench guy gets signed but we aren't going to collect the hanger-ons in search of a ring, probably by design but also because we aren't that big of a draw for those kind of players.

I've said this so many times and in so many ways but I'll say it again, we need help but we mostly need someone that can clearly beat out either our starting power forward or our backup power forward. Other than T Young I don't believe that's the case for ANY of the names that have surfaced the past month or so.

This all goes back to your insistence that Cameron Johnson can only play the small forward spot. I agree he cannot be our only playable backup forward but he has proved time and again to be valuable as a stretch 4. We need a more traditional PF at times but the bulk of the minutes would likely still go to Cam unless we got someone better than the castoffs others are picking up.

Cam Payne was such a "castoff" two years ago. With an open roster spot anyway, they should at least take a flier on someone who MIGHT be able to contribute minutes in that capacity, rather than leaving the roster spot entirely unfilled and going into the season at a disadvantage compared to every other team in the league.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is therefore zero reason not to try to fill the spot with the best available and willing power forward right now, before training camp starts.

Not so, there are several reasons. For one, we're nearing luxury tax territory and it's shortsighted to hand out contracts to players that probably can't help us. And Frank is better for us than many of the names out there.

Best available means very little when you're looking at the bottom of the barrel. I see no name out there that's worth screwing around with our continuity and chemistry other than Young. And you always talk about mistakes in the past, none has caused us more problems IMO than constantly churning the roster. I'm all for improving the roster but we need actual improvement, not more guys we'll likely dump the first chance we get.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a player becomes available I think fits the Suns needs I'm going to jump on it but until then I will play the waiting game.

What I am hoping, is the Suns give Kyle Alexander a Training Camp invite. He is probably as good as any player currently available.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and going into the season at a disadvantage compared to every other team in the league.
And there you go. Once again you set speed records going from kind of right to mostly wrong to over the top absurd.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And there you go. Once again you set speed records going from kind of right to mostly wrong to over the top absurd.

Having 13 healthy players on the roster when every other team has 15 is a disadvantage, no matter how you slice it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not so, there are several reasons. For one, we're nearing luxury tax territory and it's shortsighted to hand out contracts to players that probably can't help us. And Frank is better for us than many of the names out there.

Best available means very little when you're looking at the bottom of the barrel. I see no name out there that's worth screwing around with our continuity and chemistry other than Young. And you always talk about mistakes in the past, none has caused us more problems IMO than constantly churning the roster. I'm all for improving the roster but we need actual improvement, not more guys we'll likely dump the first chance we get.

The Suns' total cap figure is at $112.9 million. The luxury tax threshold is $136.606 million. Tell me again how the luxury tax is a reason, particularly after Sarver went on the radio and said he would be willing to pay the luxury tax in order to compete for a championship.

This reeks more and more of Sarver being penny wise and pound foolish again.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns' total cap figure is at $112.9 million. The luxury tax threshold is $136.606 million. Tell me again how the luxury tax is a reason, particularly after Sarver went on the radio and said he would be willing to pay the luxury tax in order to compete for a championship.

This reeks more and more of Sarver being penny wise and pound foolish again.
I'm ignorant when it comes to most things cap related but Spotrac shows us with an active 2021 cap of $128,373,873 and that is what I based my comment on. And the conclusion about it being part of the decision making process of the organization was just my opinion. I have no inside information on the internal workings so you're out on a very weak limb if you're using that to once again attack Sarver.

And being willing to pay the luxury tax doesn't mean he's going to just throw away money. It's not like he has a goal of paying luxury tax, he's just acknowledging it will probably be necessary to compete for a championship and he's willing to doing it (so he says).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having 13 healthy players on the roster when every other team has 15 is a disadvantage, no matter how you slice it.
You said we were going into a season at a disadvantage with every other team. If all you meant to say is that every team will have an advantage in the number of players on their roster you should have said it differently. If you mean that all told we are at a disadvantage compared to every other team (which is how most people will read your comment IMO) you're way off base.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said we were going into a season at a disadvantage with every other team. If all you meant to say is that every team will have an advantage in the number of players on their roster you should have said it differently. If you mean that all told we are at a disadvantage compared to every other team (which is how most people will read your comment IMO) you're way off base.
Why do you guys still engage with him? He can't keep his opinion consistent from thread to thread, post to post and is always overreacting?!??

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you want our championship window to be slammed shut?
penny pinching saver will never learn!
This reeks of JJ all over again!

How did I do?

You did excellent! Almost too good. I almost gave you a serious answer. :cool: