Gender-bending remakes/reboots, etc. (movies or TV shows)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has always seemed to be lazy to me. Let's take this existing IP and swap the gender of the main character(s). Sometimes the remakes are word for word copies of the originals (ala Doogie Kamealoha, M.D. from Disney+). From the IMDB trivia section: The first episode is a direct retelling of the first episode of Doogie Howser, MD (1989). The script is word-for-word identical in some scenes. :|

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't care. If you don't want to watch, don't watch.

There are so many worse things out there to worry about. And so many more TV shows to watch instead of these.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't care. If you don't want to watch, don't watch.

There are so many worse things out there to worry about. And so many more TV shows to watch instead of these.
To me, it just screams laziness. Ocean's 8, Ghostbusters (2016), etc. I don't care if you want to make movies with female leads, but just taking an existing property and plugging in an actress instead of a male actor isn't being creative at all.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To me, it just screams laziness. Ocean's 8, Ghostbusters (2016), etc. I don't care if you want to make movies with female leads, but just taking an existing property and plugging in an actress instead of a male actor isn't being creative at all.
LOL, since when has creativity had ANYTHING to do with it?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on, this one is just screaming for a reboot/remake. Not that I care or will watch, but this one is a no-brainer. Especially if Disney can make it on the cheap.
Why not do it as a sequel with some familial connection? Daughter of the original character or something? Could have some of the original cast back in it. I guess it wouldn't be seen as outrageous or get as much attention as a remake with the gender-swapping.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not telling anyone to watch or not watch any of the films or TV shows mentioned in this thread. It's just a topic. Remakes or reboots with swapping happen quite often - with race, gender, and sexuality of characters changing while the overall plot remains unchanged - so it is worthy of notice and discussion, IMHO.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Fantasy Island TV show seems to be doing well. It is more of a continuation/renewal show than a reboot as Elena Roarke (played by Roselyn Sanchez) is a direct descendant of the original show's Mr. Rourke. The show kept the same setting and format - guests arrive on the island, their stories unfold, and at the end, they leave and the next week it is all new guests.

You must be registered for see images attach

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm sick of it too and have stopped watching them. If the pitch for the show is "we'll remake x but change the lead to y" then I'm pretty much out these days. It's Hollywood being creatively bankrupt. Give me a new property or character instead. What's going on now is just lazy.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
For me, I would find it insulting if I were a woman/minority individual. Like, seriously, you can't give us (in the abstract) a real original movie of our own? You have to try to appease "us" with a white male led property that's changed to fit "us"? If that makes sense.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, I would find it insulting if I were a woman/minority individual. Like, seriously, you can't give us (in the abstract) a real original movie of our own? You have to try to appease "us" with a white male led property that's changed to fit "us"? If that makes sense.
Reminds me of this podcast convo by Eric July.

Eric July Calls Out Actors Who Take On Race And Gender Swapped Roles: “These Guys Have Absolutely No Integrity”​

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Eric July Calls Out Actors Who Take On Race And Gender Swapped Roles: “These Guys Have Absolutely No Integrity”​

I'm not in favor of the gender/race swapped movies but I have no problem at all with actors that take those roles. It's tough enough for anyone to get a good role, expecting minorities to walk away from an opportunity and a paycheck is lame IMO.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL
I'm not in favor of the gender/race swapped movies but I have no problem at all with actors that take those roles. It's tough enough for anyone to get a good role, expecting minorities to walk away from an opportunity and a paycheck is lame IMO.
Yup - plus this guy is a Libertarian nutjob who lacks basic understanding of economics (which is pretty much a Libertarian requirement).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
LOL

Yup - plus this guy is a Libertarian nutjob who lacks basic understanding of economics (which is pretty much a Libertarian requirement).
Come on. We all know economics has no place in this discussion.

nothing like listening to people who get paid to insult and attack people for what they choose to do to get paid.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Remakes of old movies pretty much are lame regardless of gender bending/race changes IMO. But, they must make money because they seem to keep churning them out. I am not offended or bothered by it in and of itself I just don't go to see them or watch them on TV.

Now, Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher...THAT offends me. LOL

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remakes of old movies pretty much are lame regardless of gender bending/race changes IMO. But, they must make money because they seem to keep churning them out. I am not offended or bothered by it in and of itself I just don't go to see them or watch them on TV.

Now, Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher...THAT offends me. LOL

So never saw any of the Batman/Superman, etc Movies?

And 100% agreed on Cruise/Reacher

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
loved flight of the navigator as a kid.

Big hellraiser fan but always skeptical of new ones.