The new and improved Kliff Kingsbury

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ah ah ah...no, NOSE RUBBING starts up to spark negativity. It started right after the game, too. Now, to be fair, it has backed off and folks have apologized, so I don't see a need to start sniping on here. Peace, love, and enjoying the big one everyone, eh?
AANDDD thread derailed. nose rubbing was deserved for MANY after that thumping.

Stout wants it known that he expects to be coddled when he's wrong or he'll start up his negativity again.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ah ah ah...no, NOSE RUBBING starts up to spark negativity. It started right after the game, too. Now, to be fair, it has backed off and folks have apologized, so I don't see a need to start sniping on here. Peace, love, and enjoying the big one everyone, eh?

Eh?

Are you from the Midlands or north of the border? ;)

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was happy to see Kliff fired up and yelling at the refs. Call me crazy, but that was a welcome sight. I think he knows his ace is on the hot seat- let's see what he does about it. Sunday was a good start.

He was pissed because of the late substitutions by the Titans.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i have taken the view that last year's offensives struggles werent all KK. that being said: I think the offense is going to see a ton of shell zone coverage designed to keep eyes on K1 and force him to be patient and make good decisions from the pocket. Lets see how Kliff adjusts

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could argue that if Murray just climbed the pocket, he doesn't have to improvise there. He immediately ran backwards and no tackle is going to be able to keep his block when a QB does that.

Yeah he definitely audibled on the Kirk TD.

Yeah the first play was definitely a play where maybe Kyler should have reacted differently although I question if he steps up if he still has the angle to get it to D Hop? Also he didn't really run backwards he just kind of went out the side door to the right so he could get an angle to throw it. He definitely could have stepped up there's room to do it, but I'm not sure he can get it to Hop then and actually Hop "followed him" when he saw Murray break right.

Not saying that KK didn't call a good game, just that it's nice to see these things from Murray. That was the best throw going right we've seen since we drafted him. And the one to Kirk it's nice to see him recognize something and audible to it for a TD like that.

in the video Kyler said he's much more comfortable this year he feels more confident changing plays and he's feeling like he's seeing things he didn't see his first 2 years.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i have taken the view that last year's offensives struggles werent all KK. that being said: I think the offense is going to see a ton of shell zone coverage designed to keep eyes on K1 and force him to be patient and make good decisions from the pocket. Lets see how Kliff adjusts

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Some coaching changes on the offense may have helped too

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
As good as it was, 1 game doesn’t replace years of ineptitude.
I guess Jameis Winston is going to through about 79TD passes and no picks.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we just live in the moment & enjoy a great win?? I don’t give a rat’s behind what happened in 2019 & 2020. All I know is that we got better each year & I expect more improvement this year. Problem is that we have no idea if injuries will have an impact. That was one the best performances by a Cardinal team in the 57 years I’ve followed them. Kind of reminded me of the divisional playoff game against Carolina after the 2008 season. We won like 33-13, dominated on both sides of the ball, and the game was never in question. I still remember Moose Johnston saying “The Panthers need to score here to have any chance”. It was 33-6 late in the 3rd quarter & we moved the ball at will throughout. I was like screaming at the TV. “Hey idiot, this game is OVER”! LOL.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One thing I give Kliff credit for is that he knows how to keep his ego in check and recognize the big picture

Kyler Murray came to the line against the Titans last week, saw the defense in a Cover Zero all-out blitz-to-come, and changed the play.
A few moments later, he put the perfect pass over the head of Christian Kirk for a 26-yard touchdown. And coach Kliff Kingsbury had another example of his quarterback's growth.
"A couple of those touchdown throws where he got us into different plays against a coverage that he liked, that was a big step," Kingsbury said. "When he can see the field like that and take the matchups we had that are favorable in those situations, that's moving in the right direction."
Experience matters in that regard. Murray knows that two full seasons of working within Kingsbury's offense and seeing hundreds of different looks changes a quarterback's confidence level.
"Seeing a lot of looks, knowing what to call at the line, what to check to, instead of in my rookie season, knowing maybe I should get out of this play but not knowing what I should check to," Murray said. "Now, it's just natural and it's easy."
It isn't just Murray who helps in that regard. On DeAndre Hopkins' catch-and-spin 17-yard touchdown, Murray said veteran center Rodney Hudson saw the defense – again a cover zero – and alerted Murray to make a change on the play.
Confidence matters, and Murray said he only makes a chance when "I know it's going to work."
"The touchdown to CKirk, we got the look we wanted," Murray said. "On the sideline Kliff might've not been too happy with what I was doing, but it ended up working out. That's how it goes."

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched the game replay on NFLN last night, thinking I'd catch a play or three while channel surfing, but wound up watching most of it - and it was just as impressive of a performance the second time around. Man I'm excited for the season now. Could go either way but the signs are all positive at the moment. So much talent out there, and actually being utilized well and the players really seem to be playing like a TEAM, not like a bunch of individuals looking for stats and their next contract.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
AANDDD thread derailed. nose rubbing was deserved for MANY after that thumping.

Stout wants it known that he expects to be coddled when he's wrong or he'll start up his negativity again.
Actually, sounds like YOU just tried to derail the thread...and then everyone simply ignored you lol *little boy voice* Yinz deserve to have your nose rubbed in it *grr grr*

There were some goofy reactions after the game, other than the universal joy we should all be feeling. Those involved have privately and publicly apologized and all is good. Except for those trying to derail threads lol

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 1 game and KK had months to prepare.

True but so did Vrabel.

We're not as good as we looked Sunday but we're not as bad as we looked at the end of last season. we have a chance to be quite good this year if as always we stay relatively healthy. We have D line depth, we have 2 very talented young LB's and a good safety group. WR is improved, looks like OL is better and Kyler is better and our backup QB is better. I think we have a better kicker and definitely better returns group.

The questions are CB, TE, and RB. I personally think we're ok at RB.

And of course the question about Kliff himself.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on the scramble to Hop TD:

Had K1 stepped up into that pocket, Hop was coming open on the cross and Kyler could have thrown in rhythm for a TD

it will come eventually, but he has the gifts to make it happen, mostly, until then

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to take anything from KK but if I'm hearing Murray right at least 2 of the TD's sunday were audibles. It came across my FB feed he was describing them. One is really not an audible the play where he rolled and hit D Hop for the TD wasn't an audible but he improvised to keep the play alive and then hit the WR who also improvised so not a called play. The one to Kirk the moon ball, that was an audible. Kyler said he recognized they had "zero coverage" so he checked to a different play, he even joked Kliff may not have liked what I was doing on the sideline but it worked and that's the bottom line with him as long as it makes sense and works I check on any given play
If you listen to JJ Watt who was mic'd on that play, the naked bootleg touchdown was not only an audible, it was a surprise to the players that were on the field.

start at the 2:03 mark.https://youtu.be/d7rGhZMWNBM

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
True but so did Vrabel.

We're not as good as we looked Sunday but we're not as bad as we looked at the end of last season. we have a chance to be quite good this year if as always we stay relatively healthy. We have D line depth, we have 2 very talented young LB's and a good safety group. WR is improved, looks like OL is better and Kyler is better and our backup QB is better. I think we have a better kicker and definitely better returns group.

The questions are CB, TE, and RB. I personally think we're ok at RB.

And of course the question about Kliff himself.
Spot on.

I called my shot before this season when I said that this is easily the most talented Cardinals team since 2015, and it might actually be more talented than that team.

The problem is that the NFC West is so good and predicting that any of those teams finish with a losing record is fool's good.

The Cardinals could still have a losing record, but I think the Cardinals showed that some of the faith some of us have is warranted. They have playmakers at every positional group save TE. Some of the groups have multiple playmaker. Jones looks like he is in the best shape in his life and Murray looks like he took another step forward.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
on the scramble to Hop TD:

Had K1 stepped up into that pocket, Hop was coming open on the cross and Kyler could have thrown in rhythm for a TD

it will come eventually, but he has the gifts to make it happen, mostly, until then
Hop was also coming open on Kirk’s 2nd TD. Hop could’ve had a 4 TD day, tbh.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave