Defense

Marco Wilson - 62
Byron Murphy - 76.3
Robert Alford - 76.1
Budda Baker - 85.4
Jalen Thompson - 62.8

Isaiah Simmons - 63 (PFF on crack)
Jordan Hicks - 52
Zaven Collins - 72.5 (Run defense 90, coverage 41. This might explain why he vanished during passing downs)

Chandler Jones - 93.8
JJ Watt - 67.5
Markus Golden - 68
Zach Allen - 34.8 - Yikes
Leki Fotu - 42.2
Rashard Lawrence - 56.9
Michael Dogbe - 62.7
Corey Peters - 62.9

Those young D line guys really have a long way to go.

Offense coming up

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw a stat posted that had Zach having a good pressure on QB % on rush snaps. He was 2nd or 3rd best on the team.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Offense

Kyler Murray - 84.5

Chase Edmonds - 63.8
James Conner - 63.3

Maxx Williams - 54.7
Demetrius Harris - 55.3
Darrell Daniels - No grade

Hump - 78.7
Pugh - 67.8
Hudson - 52.7 (Only 28.5 pass blocking)
Jones - 42.5 (65 pass blocking)
Beachum - 67.4
Murray - 66.4

Hopkins - 81.8
Green - 55.9 (Nothing to see here, quickly move on)
Kirk - 85.9
Moore - 80.9

When did we last have a QB and 3 WR's over 80 grades?

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
PFF Is stupid
Yup. These ranking sites are ridiculous.
I'll take the eye test over most of these stat based assessments or whatever they use to come up with these.
I thought Corey Peters had a good game from what I saw. Same with Hicks and Simmons. Didn't remember seeing much of Zaven which was evident by his snap count.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll take the eye test over most of these stat based assessments or whatever they use to come up with these.
I thought Corey Peters had a good game from what I saw. Same with Hicks and Simmons. Didn't remember seeing much of Zaven which was evident by his snap count.

I really don't want to make this a discussion about PFF but the "I trust my eyes while watching the ball, eating chips and drinking 6 beers" argument is hard to take over 3 professional football analysts paid to watch every individual play using coaches film from multiple angles.

I think everyone here would agree we catch the splash plays right? Simmons played 60+ snaps last night and I bet none of us saw more than 8 of them. He could have been beat in coverage 20 times and just not targeted. He could have been trucked out of position 30 times and we wouldn't notice. PFF also watch all those plays we never see.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how accurately you can have an entire crew sit and review all the tape from a single game every single play and have an overall review by the next day.

Jesus how large would PFF staff have to be? To review every single player at every single position for every single snap for an entire game and grade it and then do that for all 32 teams? And they would need A so-called expert reviewing all of that an expert at every single position. THEY WOULD HAVE TO HAVE Literally like 2000 people sitting in a room reviewing tape for hours and everyone of them would have to be an expert. Lol

seems to me like they do a VERY generic look of stats and just kind of throw numbers out there….. Sonetimes there numbers make zero sense. Simmons as an example in the list above for me…

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Offense

Kyler Murray - 84.5

Chase Edmonds - 63.8
James Conner - 63.3

Maxx Williams - 54.7
Demetrius Harris - 55.3
Darrell Daniels - No grade

Hump - 78.7
Pugh - 67.8
Hudson - 52.7 (Only 28.5 pass blocking)
Jones - 42.5 (65 pass blocking)
Beachum - 67.4
Murray - 66.4

Hopkins - 81.8
Green - 55.9 (Nothing to see here, quickly move on)
Kirk - 85.9
Moore - 80.9

When did we last have a QB and 3 WR's over 80 grades?

Humphries being the best lineman yesterday, got beaten couple of times
Don't think are any accurate those grades
It is possible the pff guy waa watching games yesterday and decide to put those grades some with highlights and some randomly?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know how accurately you can have an entire crew sit and review all the tape from a single game every single play and have an overall review by the next day.

Jesus how large would PFF staff have to be? To review every single player at every single position for every single snap for an entire game and grade it and then do that for all 32 teams? And they would need A so-called expert reviewing all of that an expert at every single position. THEY WOULD HAVE TO HAVE Literally like 2000 people sitting in a room reviewing tape for hours and everyone of them would have to be an expert. Lol

seems to me like they do a VERY generic look of stats and just kind of throw numbers out there….. Sonetimes there numbers make zero sense. Simmons as an example in the list above for me…

What I love is the point 3, .4, .5, .8, etc.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As I said in my reply. How many plays of Simmons do you think you actually saw of his 66 yesterday? Maybe 8?

What did he do on the other 58?

I understand everyone thinking Simmons (His grade is above average) played well because they saw a handful of plays where he played well, but do you think there is at least the chance that in all the plays we didn't notice him there might have been some things he got negative grades for?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really don't want to make this a discussion about PFF but the "I trust my eyes while watching the ball, eating chips and drinking 6 beers" argument is hard to take over 3 professional football analysts paid to watch every individual play using coaches film from multiple angles.

I think everyone here would agree we catch the splash plays right? Simmons played 60+ snaps last night and I bet none of us saw more than 8 of them. He could have been beat in coverage 20 times and just not targeted. He could have been trucked out of position 30 times and we wouldn't notice. PFF also watch all those plays we never see.
Conceptually I agree with you. My only hesitations on these tend to be:

1. What’s the resume of the analysts? Are they actually qualified to make the judgment calls?

2. how much insight into players assignments in different formations against offensive sets do the analysts really have? Absent that information a lot of their analysis as to success or failure is somewhat educated guesses.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As I said in my reply. How many plays of Simmons do you think you actually saw of his 66 yesterday? Maybe 8?

I understand everyone thinking Simmons (His grade is above average) played well because they saw a handful of plays where he played well, but do you think there is at least the chance that in all the plays we didn't notice him there might have been some things he got negative grades for?
That's not what Shane is talking about imo. I get what you're saying BritCard but he's saying PFF would need literally half an army of employees to review every single play of every player on Sundays.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is exactly what I have always thought about PFF. So, I have never taken them seriously. It's entertainment, not science.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

What's the relevancy of any of Simmons plays that don't have a material impact on a given outcome?

I can see whether he made a tackle, broke up a pass, or failed at either. What else is there?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conceptually I agree with you. My only hesitations on these tend to be:

1. What’s the resume of the analysts? Are they actually qualified to make the judgment calls?

2. how much insight into players assignments in different formations against offensive sets do the analysts really have? Absent that information a lot of their analysis as to success or failure is somewhat educated guesses.

I honestly don't know. I know many are former college players, coaches etc

What I do know is that their grades must align. So if 2 guys say this play was +1 and the others say -1 it has to go to a supervisor.

See I'm sounding like a PFF freak now. DVontel will be banking this away for future use.

There are definitely some things I don't like. Each play is graded equally. So a 4th down hail mary catch to win the game can score as highly as a WR run block in Q1. This is what leads to fans getting angry with grades, a RB can run for 100 yards and 2 TDs but get a 65 grade because he sucked at pass blocking.

Yet on the other hand I understand that approach as that's the job he has been given to do and to a coach that pass block is as important as a 6 yard run.

Like all things it's not perfect but I'll definitely take their eyes over our eyes.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's the relevancy of any of Simmons plays that don't have a material impact on a given outcome?

I can see whether he made a tackle, broke up a pass, or failed at either. What else is there?

PFF are grading performance. If you get beat in coverage and the QB didn't see the open guy you still performed poorly.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if that is what Simmons looks like at 63, then Simmons at 80 is going to wreck things

I personally think 63 is good.

Its game 1. He played nearly every snap. It's a major leap forward.

And he didn't play all snaps at ILB. He played some edge which may have dragged him down.

If this is 63 imagine him by game 6.