Votes: 8 15.1%
  • 5 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I admit I was one of those who didn't want to pay Chandler in the offseason after the bicep injury last season. So I was wrong.

It is probably going to cost $18-20 million per season now, but I think he's worth it. The question is how much in guarantees and how long the contract should be
This poll is about length. Address size of contract, guarantees, etcetera in replies.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chandler's pass rush game is just not based on speed which makes a 3 with a cuttable 4th sensible.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love him but he will be almost 33 by the beginning of next season. If you could lock him up for 2 more would be more ideal then 3. These guys at some point fall off a cliff. That takes him to 35. How many pass rushers are truly dominant forces after 35? I’m guessing not to many.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
i was thinking...maybe like 3 years for 50mil...
but set it up with like 20 mil year one... then 17 mil year 2... then about 13mil year 3
that way we have his money decreasing as the salary cap increases...and its likely his production will decrease over the next couple seasons.
you could give him 35-40 mil guaranteed... maybe all of year one, then 10mil a year after that
that gets him paid and also should leave us room for kylers deal
for kyler we can exercise his fifth year option but then do an extension...that way he can get his bonus money up front but the salary doesnt kick in until after the fifth year of his rookie deal.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The TJ Watt contract will be the baseline for a deal. Keim really messed this up in many ways…

Meant TJ…

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love him but he will be almost 33 by the beginning of next season. If you could lock him up for 2 more would be more ideal then 3. These guys at some point fall off a cliff. That takes him to 35. How many pass rushers are truly dominant forces after 35? I’m guessing not to many.

You're right... not too many, but as a rule, they are in the elite 100+ category, and Chandler is one of those.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The TJ Watt contract will be the baseline for a deal. Keim really messed this up in many ways…

Meant TJ…
He won't get $28 million per year IMO. He ain't 26, he's 32. TJ is an ascending talent. CJ is a very good talent who is likely peaking or has already peaked. But he's still well worth $20 million IMO.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant TJ Watt… he got 28 per…I originally typed JJ.
He’s not getting TJ Watt money no way… He’s too old TJ white walking in the room at 26 has much more leverage

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand why they didn't extend him. He didn't make much of an impact before he was injured last season, so there had to be some doubts. You'd want to see him get back from injury and perform again at a high level before shelling out the dough. With the Cardinals' luck - had they shelled out a boatload of money on an extension, he'd be underperforming or injured again. I think they've been talking to him and telling him that if he does well he will be rewarded.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He won't get $28 million per year IMO. He ain't 26, he's 32. TJ is an ascending talent. CJ is a very good talent who is likely peaking or has already peaked. But he's still well worth $20 million IMO.
My main point is , CJs price went waay up sine TJ’s contract. AZ has lost almost any leverage they thought they had outside of the franchise tag. Keim screwed up…again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My main point is , CJs price went waay up sine TJ’s contract. AZ has lost almost any leverage they thought they had outside of the franchise tag. Keim screwed up…again.
Tough to argue with that point. But man, navigating extensions with older, high performing, but injured at the time, vets is a perilous tightrope.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And a secondary point is that you have no idea as to the actual discussions between CJ's reps and the Cards and why they were tabled.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
For those who have commented that his game isn't predicated on speed, I present this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-081830.png
    Screenshot_20210914-081830.png
    428.7 KB · Views: 6

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Eh. People would have had a meltdown if we signed him to an extension after what happened last year. I don't think there was anything wrong with seeing if he still 'has it'.

Plus, isn't the franchise tag some pretty serious leverage? I can't think of anyone else we'd be using it on.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
And a secondary point is that you have no idea as to the actual discussions between CJ's reps and the Cards and why they were tabled.
The whole world knows CJ was no not happy this off-season due to contract status.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose