Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We lost that game. Meanwhile, we are without Saric now. And Frank is no longer ever ready to help.
You keep ignoring the fact that we started off with a fairly easy schedule and yet we still lost 8 of our first 16 games. And at the time you were putting most of the blame for our poor start at the feet of Chris Paul. You're rewriting history to support your point and you're never going to get there. We didn't lose a bunch of games because of Cameron Johnson.

It would be great to have a perfect team, we're not likely to get there. Our power forward situation is slightly below average, our guard situation is well above average. Like most good teams, we won on our strength and usually, we lose when our strength stumbles, not because our slightly below average front-court plays to it's level of mediocrity.

We'd all love to see us improve our front court but our best chance is through player growth, mostly Ayton. Adding other mediocre power forwards isn't going to make much of a difference.

We had a fairly empty cupboard when we traded for Paul and we had holes throughout the lineup. When you don't have a lot of cap room or tradable assets, stepping up from that level is a slower process. We got lucky last season but our finals appearance notwithstanding all we really did was grow from being a bottom 8 team to being a top 8 team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You keep ignoring the fact that we started off with a fairly easy schedule and yet we still lost 8 of our first 16 games. And at the time you were putting most of the blame for our poor start at the feet of Chris Paul. You're rewriting history to support your point and you're never going to get there. We didn't lose a bunch of games because of Cameron Johnson.

It would be great to have a perfect team, we're not likely to get there. Our power forward situation is slightly below average, our guard situation is well above average. Like most good teams, we won on our strength and usually, we lose when our strength stumbles, not because our slightly below average front-court plays to it's level of mediocrity.

We'd all love to see us improve our front court but our best chance is through player growth, mostly Ayton. Adding other mediocre power forwards isn't going to make much of a difference.

We had a fairly empty cupboard when we traded for Paul and we had holes throughout the lineup. When you don't have a lot of cap room or tradable assets, stepping up from that level is a slower process. We got lucky last season but our finals appearance notwithstanding all we really did was grow from being a bottom 8 team to being a top 8 team.

You overestimate our forward situation. We are average at small forward but have one of the worst power forward rotations in the league, if not THE worst. It's why the guards and wings have to play our of their minds and shoulder a disproportionate amount of the burden most of the time to win, and it is why Ayton isn't all he can be at center.

If our power forward rotation were merely "slightly below average", we would be entering the season as the defending champions.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And yet, here we are as runners up with the worst PF rotation in the league. Do you even read what you write? And how can you not realize how asinine this take is??

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You overestimate our forward situation. We are average at small forward but have one of the worst power forward rotations in the league, if not THE worst. It's why the guards and wings have to play our of their minds and shoulder a disproportionate amount of the burden most of the time to win, and it is why Ayton isn't all he can be at center.

If our power forward rotation were merely "slightly below average", we would be entering the season as the defending champions.

You've underestimated this team to an absolute laughable level for the last year. You said we wouldn't make the playoffs, even predicting we'd collapse entirely despite having a top 2 record in the league during the final month of the season. Then you predicted losses all throughout the playoffs in each series. Why should anyone listen to you now when you've been so wrong lately?

You are a living embodiment of the broken clock cliche. You live for those 2 times you're right and are oblivious to the 22 times you're wrong. You predict losses in every instance so you can inevitably say " I told you so!!!" But anyone that isn't reading your posts for the first time knows that's your schtick. That's all you care about, which is why you cling to it so desperately.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And yet, here we are as runners up with the worst PF rotation in the league. Do you even read what you write? And how can you not realize how asinine this take is??

Our guards are that good, but the margin for error is so small.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You've underestimated this team to an absolute laughable level for the last year. You said we wouldn't make the playoffs, even predicting we'd collapse entirely despite having a top 2 record in the league during the final month of the season. Then you predicted losses all throughout the playoffs in each series. Why should anyone listen to you now when you've been so wrong lately?

You are a living embodiment of the broken clock cliche. You live for those 2 times you're right and are oblivious to the 22 times you're wrong. You predict losses in every instance so you can inevitably say " I told you so!!!" But anyone that isn't reading your posts for the first time knows that's your schtick. That's all you care about, which is why you cling to it so desperately.

Attack me personally all you want. It still doesn't address this team's obvious deficiency at the power forward position or the fact that ownership and management have done not a darn thing to address it this offseason, despite it being our biggest need by far.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Attack me personally all you want. It still doesn't address this team's obvious deficiency at the power forward position or the fact that ownership and management have done not a darn thing to address it this offseason, despite it being our biggest need by far.

I'm not attacking you personally, I'm attacking your takes. You constantly say the sky is falling. You actually said that CP3, Booker, and Ayton would all demand trades if Jalen Smith sees any sort of playing time, which is the most insane sports take I've ever heard.

Say that's a personal attack if that makes you feel better.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not attacking you personally, I'm attacking your takes. You constantly say the sky is falling. You actually said that CP3, Booker, and Ayton would all demand trades if Jalen Smith sees any sort of playing time, which is the most insane sports take I've ever heard.

For players like CP3 and Booker, it always comes down to this:

Are ownership and management committed to winning?

Now ask yourself this:

Does the total lack of effort to fill the team's biggest hole demonstrate such a commitment to winning, especially if it results in someone like Jalen Smith getting significant minutes right after he proved he couldn't cut it in Summer League (which came right off of a flat-out embarrassing performance in the G League)?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For players like CP3 and Booker, it always comes down to this:

Are ownership and management committed to winning?

Now ask yourself this:

Does the total lack of effort to fill the team's biggest hole demonstrate such a commitment to winning, especially if it results in someone like Jalen Smith getting significant minutes right after he proved he couldn't cut it in Summer League (which came right off of a flat-out embarrassing performance in the G League)?

Maybe they like Jae Crowder and Cam Johnson at PF, they did play well enough to take us to the NBA Finals. Crowder specifically has made it to 2 straight NBA Finals as his teams starting PF. So say he's not a PF, that's only your opinion but I'll take Pat Riley, Eric Spoeslstra, James Jones and Monty's words and actions over yours. All of whom view him as a quality PF and used him as a starter with great success.

Other than you, who says Jalen Smith failed in Summer League? He did get selected to the First Team for his performance. So he didn't win SL MVP but he did rank amongst the top players in the league there.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe they like Jae Crowder and Cam Johnson at PF, they did play well enough to take us to the NBA Finals. Crowder specifically has made it to 2 straight NBA Finals as his teams starting PF. So say he's not a PF, that's only your opinion but I'll take Pat Riley, Eric Spoeslstra, James Jones and Monty's words and actions over yours. All of whom view him as a quality PF and used him as a starter with great success.

Other than you, who says Jalen Smith failed in Summer League? He did get selected to the First Team for his performance. So he didn't win SL MVP but he did rank amongst the top players in the league there.

I actually watched the games. Jalen Smith got selected to the Summer League First Team for a single stat (rebounds per game) that was artificially inflated. His play was cringeworthy. If you've seen the movie Men In Black, he looked like the "bug in the Edgar suit". He was that awkward and uncoordinated. He looked uncomfortable in his own body.

And yes, Jae was good enough at the 4 to get his team to the NBA Finals two years in a row, only to be exploited and bowled over in the Finals by bigger opponents. I don't know about you, but especially with the team being this close, I would like to see the team actually try to WIN a championship. They really only have one hole to fill to give themselves a great shot to do so, and yet they aren't trying to fill it.

And I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone in his/her right mind could be so hell-bent on playing a 6'8", 210 pound spot-up shooter who can't rebound or rim protect at power forward instead of at his natural spot on the wing.

Other than the Warriors with their historic shooting backcourt (and as good as our backcourt is, it will never be as good as prime and healthy Steph and Klay), small ball doesn't win championships. The reason less and less teams are trying to emulate the Warriors is because they realize it is impossible to do so. It's high time James Jones and Robert Sarver realize that as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

lol, I missed that post. What a pile of trolling.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also 1Sun a year ago...

A post proclaiming that Cam could not only play power forward but is better suited to do so than Crowder! But don't mistake it for praising Cam, he was only having a brief mental lapse out of a base need to **** all over whatever the most recent signing was.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is our biggest hole but it's not as big of a hole as you keep making it out to be. And you have no idea (none of us have any idea) whether this team has made an effort to improve that position. And lastly, good power forwards cost to acquire. What, you think we can just trade the worst power forward ever for a quality PF?

Maybe we could package Mikal, CJ, Saric and picks to get an above average power forward but then we'd have a much bigger hole at the 3 than we have right now at the 4. Barring the rumored trade for T Young, about all we can hope to get are players that other teams don't feel the need to keep. And that is not putting us in the winner's circle.

I'll take any improvement we can get but you continue to overstate our needs and you continue to ascribe urgency to a situation where there is none. I expect we will improve the backup PF spot at some point this year but going into the season with Cameron Johnson and Frank Kaminsky is survivable, we showed that last season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is our biggest hole but it's not as big of a hole as you keep making it out to be. And you have no idea (none of us have any idea) whether this team has made an effort to improve that position. And lastly, good power forwards cost to acquire. What, you think we can just trade the worst power forward ever for a quality PF?

Maybe we could package Mikal, CJ, Saric and picks to get an above average power forward but then we'd have a much bigger hole at the 3 than we have right now at the 4. Barring the rumored trade for T Young, about all we can hope to get are players that other teams don't feel the need to keep. And that is not putting us in the winner's circle.

I'll take any improvement we can get but you continue to overstate our needs and you continue to ascribe urgency to a situation where there is none. I expect we will improve the backup PF spot at some point this year but going into the season with Cameron Johnson and Frank Kaminsky is survivable, we showed that last season.

Until the Finals (and actually it would have been until the first round had AD not gotten hurt), when we got blitzkrieged, providing a roadmap for every other opponent that actually has quality size up front (which includes at least half of the teams in the NBA).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For the regular season I can buy that. Although, seeding will be important. I still maintain that Cam can't be your main solution at PF and it will cost us the deeper we go but I think we can play that position by committee if we can get some competent bodies in here. Here is the thing. So much can happen between now and the middle of the season. By trade deadline we should have an idea what is working and what's not. Worst case scenario you wait for a team deciding to shed salary and pack it in for the season and make a trade.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am glad there are no more options for PHX but to keep and develop Smith. It will be a challenge for PHX to repeat last season's success because now they are on everyone's radar and won't catch anyone by surprise. With our cap situation the next 3 years, drafting and developing talent is only way to add to the roster as we won't be able to add any major FA's or acquire any pieces in trade unless dealing a core piece is involved. Yes PHX has a 3 year window with Paul but this team is still very young and if you could develop Smith this team can be good for a longer period of time. In 3 years Cam Payne could replace Paul and we won't lose any chemistry or continuity.

PHX should play out regular season and develop Smith so that come playoff time he can be a contributor, PHX could have used his rebounding in Finals and if he can continue to improve as a defender than that is a plus as well. He showed he has shooting range so if he can continue to improve he can add to the shooter we have.

Worst case scenario, we can see where we are at trade deadline and if a piece becomes available that can help us then we can consider a move then.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am glad there are no more options for PHX but to keep and develop Smith. It will be a challenge for PHX to repeat last season's success because now they are on everyone's radar and won't catch anyone by surprise. With our cap situation the next 3 years, drafting and developing talent is only way to add to the roster as we won't be able to add any major FA's or acquire any pieces in trade unless dealing a core piece is involved. Yes PHX has a 3 year window with Paul but this team is still very young and if you could develop Smith this team can be good for a longer period of time. In 3 years Cam Payne could replace Paul and we won't lose any chemistry or continuity.

PHX should play out regular season and develop Smith so that come playoff time he can be a contributor, PHX could have used his rebounding in Finals and if he can continue to improve as a defender than that is a plus as well. He showed he has shooting range so if he can continue to improve he can add to the shooter we have.

Worst case scenario, we can see where we are at trade deadline and if a piece becomes available that can help us then we can consider a move then.

If we take this approach, we will be out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. CP3 didn't re-sign here for the last 2-3 years of his career to see ownership and management sacrifice game after game after game trying to develop a player who is nowhere near ready for NBA minutes. This will reek of when Dragan Bender was gifted minutes he didn't deserve. Do you really want to go back to those days?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For the regular season I can buy that. Although, seeding will be important. I still maintain that Cam can't be your main solution at PF and it will cost us the deeper we go but I think we can play that position by committee if we can get some competent bodies in here. Here is the thing. So much can happen between now and the middle of the season. By trade deadline we should have an idea what is working and what's not. Worst case scenario you wait for a team deciding to shed salary and pack it in for the season and make a trade.

This I agree with. The problem is that we don't currently have any competent bodies at the 4 other than Jae Crowder. (And no, this is not an attack on Cam. This is my belief that at 6'8", 210 pounds, Cam is a 3 and closer to a 2 than a 4.)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But he hasn't been our main solution at PF, he's been the backup to Crowder. I believe we need to add a more traditional power forward for those nights that the Cameron matchup goes in favor of the other team but even still, Johnson is going to get his share of minutes. IMO he would get his share of minutes on most teams although maybe not quite the 24 minutes per he averaged with us.

The biggest problem we have IMO is that this team a year ago was NOT one or two players away from being a championship team. Trading for Paul made us a solid playoff contender but injuries across the league paved the way for our record and subsequent tournament run.

We have all the key players back except for Saric but we've added a decent backup shooting guard and a very good backup center. All told that's a net improvement. It still doesn't make us the favorite but I don't know how to bring in a star power forward while keeping the rest of the rotation intact.

And IMO a good power forward or a legendary leap by Ayton is what's needed for us to truly be a championship contender this season. But last year showed that just being close to that level can put you in a position to take advantage when ill fortune befalls some of the other teams. We did it and reached the finals before we became one of those teams that suffered ill fortune, the Bucks were like us and stayed injury free enough to win it all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns keep Jalen Smith his progress this coming season or lack thereof will weigh heavily into their decision.

The reason I used the word "if" is because his contract has a team option for the 2022/23 and 2023/24 seasons. So if Stix doesn't show significant signs of improvement in the coming months the Suns will likely make a decision whether to keep him by the end of this season.

If the Suns have shopped Smith, it hints that perhaps they have already made that decision or they want to use his contract in a trade for a veteran.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we take this approach, we will be out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. CP3 didn't re-sign here for the last 2-3 years of his career to see ownership and management sacrifice game after game after game trying to develop a player who is nowhere near ready for NBA minutes. This will reek of when Dragan Bender was gifted minutes he didn't deserve. Do you really want to go back to those days?
We'll at least make the playoffs with this roster barring any injuries. Maybe not a #2 seed because teams in West like GS are healthier but PHX is a Top 8 team in West right now.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the Suns keep Jalen Smith his progress this coming season or lack thereof will weigh heavily into their decision.

The reason I used the word "if" is because his contract has a team option for the 2022/23 and 2023/24 seasons. So if Stix doesn't show significant signs of improvement in the coming months the Suns will likely make a decision whether to keep him by the end of this season.

If the Suns have shopped Smith, it hints that perhaps they have already made that decision or they want to use his contract in a trade for a veteran.
I see what you are saying but with the trade market all dried up PHX has no choice but to develop Smith to either showcase him for a trade later or hold onto him if he becomes a contributor. Again, win-win because right now this is the only option for PHX. Instead of making a hasty move and selling low, invest a little more time which big men usually need and see if you have a keeper who is on a rookie deal for next three years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson