Suns sign Chandler Hutchison on a two-way contract

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns sign Chandler Hutchison on a two-way contract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More information on the signing of Chandler Hutchison.

By BY KEVIN ZIMMERMAN, Arizona Sports:

The Phoenix Suns on Tuesday signed free agent wing Chandler Hutchison. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

He was released by the San Antonio Spurs on Saturday. In August, he was moved from Washington to San Antonio in a five-team deal that included Russell Westbrook heading from the Wizards to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Hutchison was a 2018 first-round pick by the Chicago Bulls (22nd overall) out of Boise State.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some highlight video of Chandler Hutchison in Wizards vs. Pacers game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He has experience. Better than the scrubs who haven't played.

Jones seems to value guys with resumes over guys without.
Maybe. Four teams isn’t inspiring. And his shooting is really poor, mediocre stats all over. Admittedly haven’t seen him play so maybe he’s a terrific defender or has big upside athleticism. But otherwise seems like a redundant poor man’s Abdul Nader.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a two-way deal so I can't see the downside. He's got experience and it may pan out. It can't really backfire since it's a two-way deal. We still have another two way spot available and an open roster spot.

From my understanding he's more of a SF than SG but can play both. I think depth at SF wasn't really a need but something that could have been improved since the SG's we have aren't big enough to slide over to forward regularly.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Four teams isn’t inspiring. And his shooting is really poor, mediocre stats all over. Admittedly haven’t seen him play so maybe he’s a terrific defender or has big upside athleticism. But otherwise seems like a redundant poor man’s Abdul Nader.

I saw some try to say he's more athletic than Nader but that's probably a decent description for him.

He was a 1st round pick so he showed something before. Yahoo Sports said he was a good pick for Chicago as a Trevor Ariza type of a 3&D SF. Of course we also signed Ariza in 2018, which is when Hutchinson was drafted and that comparison was made.

Knowing he washed out in Chicago and Washington doesn't bother me. Chicago is pretty bad at developing young players, they have too many and have had a coaching carousel similar to the Suns before Monty. Washington doesn't seem to know what theyre doing either.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They could do worse for a two-way signing, but the fact that they continue to do nothing at all at the power forward position is beyond perplexing. I very much fear that they are horribly overestimating Jalen Smith's readiness to contribute.

Yes, he led the Summer League in rebounds, but many of his rebounds were off of his own missed layups and short jumpers (which won't be allowed to happen by real NBA competition), his rebounding percentage was mediocre, and he had a lot of uncontested boards due to horrible shooting. Meanwhile, balls kept slipping through his hands, his shooting was atrocious for a big, he threw the ball away a ton, and he couldn't defend at all despite significant effort to do so. And I have already noted his strange physique and resulting awkwardness and lack of basic coordination. In fact, I think all of this likely comes down to his bizarre physique, so barring a complete transplant of his upper body or lower body to match the other, this isn't going to improve.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh. He’ll most likely be gone by all star break.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could do worse for a two-way signing, but the fact that they continue to do nothing at all at the power forward position is beyond perplexing. I very much fear that they are horribly overestimating Jalen Smith's readiness to contribute.

Yes, he led the Summer League in rebounds, but many of his rebounds were off of his own missed layups and short jumpers (which won't be allowed to happen by real NBA competition), his rebounding percentage was mediocre, and he had a lot of uncontested boards due to horrible shooting. Meanwhile, balls kept slipping through his hands, his shooting was atrocious for a big, he threw the ball away a ton, and he couldn't defend at all despite significant effort to do so. And I have already noted his strange physique and resulting awkwardness and lack of basic coordination. In fact, I think all of this likely comes down to his bizarre physique, so barring a complete transplant of his upper body or lower body to match the other, this isn't going to improve.
You think they're planning on giving big minutes to Jalen Smith despite all the reports we've been trying to trade him? Including the rumor that we've offered him and Saric to San Antonio for T Young.

Jalen isn't ready. I don't know anyone that thinks Smith is ready, close to ready or close to being close to ready so I'm not sure why you're trying to convince us we're about to put our fate in his hands. I still have some long term hopes for him but from what I've seen he's almost ready for garbage minutes on a super team or a team battling for the top draft pick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh. He’ll most likely be gone by all star break.
On a two way? Maybe but we still have a spot open so I don't imagine we'll need to move on from him that soon but who knows.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Watched him a few times here in person in Boise. Decent defender, can fill the steals, rebound stats well. Seems like he was left on a island by himself a lot in Chicago. He does best running the break and slashing to the hoop. With better passers and non ball dominate players he could do well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You think they're planning on giving big minutes to Jalen Smith despite all the reports we've been trying to trade him? Including the rumor that we've offered him and Saric to San Antonio for T Young.

Jalen isn't ready. I don't know anyone that thinks Smith is ready, close to ready or close to being close to ready so I'm not sure why you're trying to convince us we're about to put our fate in his hands. I still have some long term hopes for him but from what I've seen he's almost ready for garbage minutes on a super team or a team battling for the top draft pick.

I agree, but what else explains the total lack of effort to bring in a power forward?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but what else explains the total lack of effort to bring in a power forward?
Well, the rumor is we want T Young, he wants us, Spurs want more than we're willing to pay.

I hope we get him but it's the ideal situation for people that like to second guess (not an accusation, just a general comment). We could probably get him by rushing to meet their price (Saric, Jalen plus draft capital) and get roasted by many for caving or we could hold the line and get bashed for being too cheap to add the player we need.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, the rumor is we want T Young, he wants us, Spurs want more than we're willing to pay.

I hope we get him but it's the ideal situation for people that like to second guess (not an accusation, just a general comment). We could probably get him by rushing to meet their price (Saric, Jalen plus draft capital) and get roasted by many for caving or we could hold the line and get bashed for being too cheap to add the player we need.

Even if they were to do any variation of that trade, we still have an extra open roster spot. Wouldn't it make sense to bring in a power forward, or at least a 3/4 or 4/5 who is built more like a forward than a guard, to fill that extra spot, just in case the trade for Young never materializes?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Never heard of him but if JJ or Monte wanted him then I'm all in.
Maybe another body to move?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if they were to do any variation of that trade, we still have an extra open roster spot. Wouldn't it make sense to bring in a power forward, or at least a 3/4 or 4/5 who is built more like a forward than a guard, to fill that extra spot, just in case the trade for Young never materializes?
If we can get someone clearly good enough to move Crowder to the bench, that would be great. If we just get someone that could barely beat out Cameron, it's not going to make much of a difference. Most likely though, what else we might add will depend on whether we get Young.

If we get Young, anybody else we add will likely spend most of his time watching the game. If we can't add Young, we're probably better off keeping an open roster spot for a midseason addition.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The hand wringing over 14 and 15th roster spots is silly.

This is a slot that will spend a hefty hunk of the season in d league or not in uniform. Take a swing at whatever player you think has upside, regardless of position.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why did you bring the "OMG WE NEED A PF!!!!" hysterics to another thread? Its bad enough you're convinced the sky is falling but to spread it to every thread, regardless of what the subject of the thread is, shows that you're more interested in derailing conversation than engaging in meaningful discussion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hand wringing over 14 and 15th roster spots is silly.

This is a slot that will spend a hefty hunk of the season in d league or not in uniform. Take a swing at whatever player you think has upside, regardless of position.

Chandler Hutchison is on a two-way contract so he is does not technically count towards the Suns 15 man roster.

If and when the Suns add another player to their roster spot that does not necessarily equate to the value of the player. Torrey Craig was a rotation player and he was added in March of last season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose