Latavius Murray?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Per Adam Schefter, Latavius Murray is being released by the Saints over a pay dispute. He's getting older, so I'm unsure about how I feel... but would you consider bringing him in? He's coming off a season in which he averaged 4.5 YPCarry and 7.7 YPCatch.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Adam Schefter, Latavius Murray is being released by the Saints over a pay dispute. He's getting older, so I'm unsure about how I feel... but would you consider bringing him in? He's coming off a season in which he averaged 4.5 YPCarry and 7.7 YPCatch.
You beat me to it. I think he would be a great addition. He is a bull that if you need 2 yards he will get you 3.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No. This is more darksider nonsense.

You have done nothing but complain about Edmonds and Conner all off season yet you're interested in signing a 31 year old who's been a backup since 2017 and by any metric is worse than our current backup James Conner?

Or do you want to sign a 31 year old to a 1 year deal to be the 3rd back and sacrifice one of the younger long term guys who earned it in camp?

Murray is a fine RB and he will do a job for someone. I just don't think how you can think that someone is us when Murray fits exactly everything you have argued against.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he’s a 31 year old back who has played behind an excellent offensive line. What could he offer that Conner and chase don’t? The saints cutting him should be some sort of indication here.

Exactly. The Saints saved $2.4m with the cut and didn't think he was worth that money over a UDFA that hasn't played an NFL snap yet. And he's supposed to be an upgrade.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Why would we want an experienced back who’s played and thrived on good teams, averaged over 4.0 yards a carry, can catch the ball and is a load to tackle. Especially since we got 2 guys in the running back room that would be thrown into a prominent role should Edmonds or Conner misses time. Two solid backs that was on the team last year and totalled ONE carry.
I’m pretty sure Ward and/or Benjamin would clear waivers and make the practice squad.
Murray fits Keims kind of guy. He’s older, however , he’s seldom injured so, yes he probably isn’t a good fit.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No. This is more darksider nonsense.

You have done nothing but complain about Edmonds and Conner all off season yet you're interested in signing a 31 year old who's been a backup since 2017 and by any metric is worse than our current backup James Conner?

Or do you want to sign a 31 year old to a 1 year deal to be the 3rd back and sacrifice one of the younger long term guys who earned it in camp?

Murray is a fine RB and he will do a job for someone. I just don't think how you can think that someone is us when Murray fits exactly everything you have argued against.
At this point I'm all about bodies that have done it before in the league. Am I cutting one of the younger guys? Yes. They're not very good.

At this point I'm resigned to a committee approach. The more the merrier.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point I'm all about bodies that have done it before in the league. Am I cutting one of the younger guys? Yes. They're not very good.

At this point I'm resigned to a committee approach. The more the merrier.

If the Cards were using a committee approach then sure, but I think they have been clear that Edmonds is RB1 and Conner will share the load. Similar to Drake/Edmonds last year.

So signing Murray would be replacing one of the people we have.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cards were using a committee approach then sure, but I think they have been clear that Edmonds is RB1 and Conner will share the load. Similar to Drake/Edmonds last year.

So signing Murray would be replacing one of the people we have.
Edmonds has a history of not holding up. When he goes down we are now down to Conner. I’m not down on Conner but suddenly if he gets nicked up we are down to 2 backs with one carry in their collective career. Murray would be the perfect back to step up in a pinch or late in the game when you want to batter the defense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Edmonds has a history of not holding up. When he goes down we are now down to Conner. I’m not down on Conner but suddenly if he gets nicked up we are down to 2 backs with one carry in their collective career. Murray would be the perfect back to step up in a pinch or late in the game when you want to batter the defense.

There are always a bunch of RBs that can come in and do a job if that happens. Murray might be one if them.

Also Edmonds missed 3 games in 2019. That's it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Why would we want an experienced back who’s played and thrived on good teams, averaged over 4.0 yards a carry, can catch the ball and is a load to tackle. Especially since we got 2 guys in the running back room that would be thrown into a prominent role should Edmonds or Conner misses time. Two solid backs that was on the team last year and totalled ONE carry.
I’m pretty sure Ward and/or Benjamin would clear waivers and make the practice squad.
Murray fits Keims kind of guy. He’s older, however , he’s seldom injured so, yes he probably isn’t a good fit.
We have that on the team already. No need for a 3rd RB
you dont sign a 3rd freaking RB preparing for 2 injuries that haven’t even happened

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We have that on the team already. No need for a 3rd RB

you dont sign a 3rd freaking RB preparing for 2 injuries that haven’t even happened
I think the infatuation with RBs is the remnants of the old NFL that doesn't really exist anymore.

No need to sign another veteran unless it was a guy who was clearly better than Edmonds and Conner (Murray isn't).

The Cardinals can only fix so many positions in one offseason and they seemed to prioritize the biggest holes from last season.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure teams will wait until Game #2 to sign him. That way salary isn't guaranteed. Or at least that's the way it used to be. And, after a game teams will have a better feel about their RB's.