The Biggest Loser (of Cardinals training camp)

Reaction score
I would say after an entire year on the right side, no.
Didn't DJ stay on the right for a year as well? Sucked at it if I remember correctly. Jones also didn't have an off season last year when they tried to move him to a different position. I think moving from left to right is a little harder than we think.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Didn't DJ stay on the right for a year as well? Sucked at it if I remember correctly. Jones also didn't have an off season last year when they tried to move him to a different position. I think moving from left to right is a little harder than we think.
DJ was two years younger than Jones when he came to the NFL. He was more athletic but also more raw and more immature. DJ wasted his first year but the coaches saw enough that they let Massie go at RT to get Humphries reps. I equate Beachum to Massie when looking at Jones. The Cardinals won't even let Jones compete for the RT spot whereas they let Massie walk in FA to get Humphries starting reps.

The coaches saw talent in Humphries. My point is they don't see it in Jones or else he would be starting at RG and they would work through the mistakes in game reps. They are essentially saying, he isn't significantly more talented than Justin Murray, Brian Winters, and Kelvin Beachum to make up for his technical deficiencies. That is not an all-world group he is competing with and at RG, he would be surrounded by two veteran players in Hudson and Beachum.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Could Jones be having the same issues DJ had playing on the opposite side that he's always played on? He always played left tackle in college.

Humphries was super immature when he came into the league (Florida was an awful, poorly-run program at the time and DJ left two years early). The reason why he's successful now is because Arians humbled him. Now, DJ is just goofy, but is known as a leader.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
DJ was two years younger than Jones when he came to the NFL. He was more athletic but also more raw and more immature. DJ wasted his first year but the coaches saw enough that they let Massie go at RT to get Humphries reps. I equate Beachum to Massie when looking at Jones. The Cardinals won't even let Jones compete for the RT spot whereas they let Massie walk in FA to get Humphries starting reps.

The coaches saw talent in Humphries. My point is they don't see it in Jones or else he would be starting at RG and they would work through the mistakes in game reps. They are essentially saying, he isn't significantly more talented than Justin Murray, Brian Winters, and Kelvin Beachum to make up for his technical deficiencies. That is not an all-world group he is competing with and at RG, he would be surrounded by two veteran players in Hudson and Beachum.

I'm not sure if the coaches saw talent in Humphries as much as Keim removed the choice from anyone else. There's little in Arians' background that tells me he's ever eager to let a young player take his lumps to the detriment of the team.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The reason Jones fell is that he was a marginally athletic talent who was older coming out of college and had a lot of technical issues. The idea was that if you could get him right, he could be a starting caliber player. The Cardinals obviously did not see enough growth to prevent them from extending Beachum, signing Winters, and then starting Jones over Murray and Winters.

Also we have to remember Dj Humphries went and spent multiple offseasons at LeCharles Bentley's OL academy to improve. At this point, we do not know if Jonses is doing anything additional or not.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the coaches saw talent in Humphries as much as Keim removed the choice from anyone else. There's little in Arians' background that tells me he's ever eager to let a young player take his lumps to the detriment of the team.
Maybe that was a point of contention between Keim and Arians, but I guess I never assumed Bruce didn't get his way when disagreeing with Steve.

Reaction score
Humphries was super immature when he came into the league (Florida was an awful, poorly-run program at the time and DJ left two years early). The reason why he's successful now is because Arians humbled him. Now, DJ is just goofy, but is known as a leader.
How do you know Jones isn't? You guys are all speculating but you don't know for sure. It could be the same exact scenario as DJ. Everyone said at the time that DJ was put at the RT position that it was tough to re-learn the muscle memory on the opposite side. That's why he struggled on that side. Then it was he was immature so we gave him time & he became a top LT in the league. We have no idea what is going on with Jones. I say give him a little more time & he may turn into a top RT. He was pretty good in college.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These are the types of late round wins that we need.
The Rams GM is pretty good with late rounds picks, finding late rounds contributors show how good the scouting department is
Keim all the time praised the work of his scouts, still wondering why
Is like a producer congrats with the director even if the movie was a fiasco

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How do you know Jones isn't? You guys are all speculating but you don't know for sure. It could be the same exact scenario as DJ. Everyone said at the time that DJ was put at the RT position that it was tough to re-learn the muscle memory on the opposite side. That's why he struggled on that side. Then it was he was immature so we gave him time & he became a top LT in the league. We have no idea what is going on with Jones. I say give him a little more time & he may turn into a top RT. He was pretty good in college.
Humphries started year 2, Jones doesn't look to be doing so and is two years older than Humphries was. Also, tell me when the wait and see approach has worked out?

If Jones was good or had shown growth and development, he wouldn't be switched from RT to RG to give a shot at a starting spot and then moved back because he couldn't beat out Murray or Winters. Also, he wasn't good enough to make the team ok with letting Winters walk and using that roster spot elsewhere. Essentially, Joshua Jones = Joshua Miles at this rate and that isn't good when using top 100 picks.

Reaction score
Humphries started year 2, Jones doesn't look to be doing so and is two years older than Humphries was. Also, tell me when the wait and see approach has worked out?

If Jones was good or had shown growth and development, he wouldn't be switched from RT to RG to give a shot at a starting spot and then moved back because he couldn't beat out Murray or Winters. Also, he wasn't good enough to make the team ok with letting Winters walk and using that roster spot elsewhere. Essentially, Joshua Jones = Joshua Miles at this rate and that isn't good when using top 100 picks.

DJ started year 2 at RT & completely sucked. Then played 5 & 9 games the following two years. It wasn't until year 5 that he was a decent starting LT & now above average. Just because they had JJ play RG doesn't mean anything other than giving him experience at other positions. I think Beachum starting at RT is that the Cards want experience there until JJ is ready which imo will be next year or this year if Beachum goes down. I don't know why you think he's a bust & not the Cards are grooming him to be the starting RT of the future.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DJ started year 2 at RT & completely sucked. Then played 5 & 9 games the following two years. It wasn't until year 5 that he was a decent starting LT & now above average. Just because they had JJ play RG doesn't mean anything other than giving him experience at other positions. I think Beachum starting at RT is that the Cards want experience there until JJ is ready which imo will be next year or this year if Beachum goes down. I don't know why you think he's a bust & not the Cards are grooming him to be the starting RT of the future.

Why?

Because Chopper is still "Wirf"ed up!

His way of revisiting the fact that we didn't select Tristan Wirfs by crapping on Jones.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are just reaping the negative BS and nonsense that this board has evidently become. Negative Nancys everywhere and not a game that counts has been played yet

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To be fair Hump only started year 2 because he was a 1st round pick and there was no way that could sit a 1st rounder for a 2nd year. They have that luxury with Jones.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if Jones won the starting job we would have heard about it ad nauseam in cards media. We haven't heard a peep.

He might get his shot at RT though. I get the hunch that beechum will fall off the cliff massively this year.
I dont recall a tidal wave of opposition against Jones when we drafted him. Biggest loser is...us.