Movie A Day #127: Taps

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Very memorable movie for me, especially since I was only 10 when I first saw it. Very emotional feel to the film and the topic is actually still relevant these days with all the base closures in recent years. Some great actors, young and old. Some very memorable scenes, especially Tom Cruise and his machine gun. A must see if you've never seen it, or even if you just haven't seen it in awhile. (It's actually on tv tonight.)

From Amazon: Memorable mostly as the film that introduced filmgoers to Tom Cruise and Sean Penn, both of whom nearly steal the film from its nominal star, Timothy Hutton. Hutton, fresh from his Oscar for Ordinary People, plays the top cadet at a private military school run by George C. Scott. When the announcement is made that the school will be closed, the inmates take over the asylum with military precision. Hutton is caught among his sense of duty to mentor Scott, the rabid militarism of cadet Cruise, and the rational arguments of Penn, as Hutton's best friend. Then a cadet kills one of the cops responding to the crisis, and suddenly this game of playing soldiers takes on a warlike atmosphere.

Directed by Harold Becker.

Featuring: George C. Scott, Timothy Hutton, Ronny Cox, Sean Penn, and Tom Cruise.

Misc:

Prior to the production of the film, the key actors--Timothy Hutton, Sean Penn, Tom Cruise, and others--were required to participate in a 45 day-long period of orientation with the students of Valley Forge Military Academy. While most of the actors enjoyed and excelled at their orientation, Tom Cruise opted to leave the training for the comforts of a nearby hotel until filming began.

The gate seen at the end of the quad area was built specifically for the film and was dismantled after filming ended.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this movie! Great choice! :thumbup:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought this was that freaky movie with Gregory Hines and that russina dude, where they danced all the time :confused:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Not sure how I never watched this growing up. Much darker than I was expecting.

I thought that looked like a young Giancarlo Giuseppe and I was right! I see that he was also in Trading Places. I'm gonna have to rewatch that one this christmas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave