2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that would probably be a plus for Aldridge, he wouldn't have to play center unless it's small ball center like Saric played.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let the Nets have Aldridge, he had his chance and signed with the enemy.
ACLs are one thing but he has a bad ticker, I don't want to mourn a Suns player.
Let him drop out somewhere else.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let the Nets have Aldridge, he had his chance and signed with the enemy.
ACLs are one thing but he has a bad ticker, I don't want to mourn a Suns player.
Let him drop out somewhere else.

The Nets have 15 players.

Maybe they can petition the NBA to expand their roster to 20 players so they can add more ring chasers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an agreement for Juancho Hernangomes to be traded to the Celtics with Memphis.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't read the reports but for the veteran minimum it's a steal.

If the Suns wanted Millsap enough, they had the partial MLE remaining so they could have paid more.

Millsap is done. Any guy that lets Saric drive by them at will is too big a liability to get playing time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeAndre Jordon will be traded to Pistons.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeAndre Jordon is expected to sign with Lakers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alize Johnson had 20 points and 21 rebounds in a game last season.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another Kevin Durant super team
Ugh I miss the old days where you battled for a championship not all this chasing rings. I hope the Nets are epic losers

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another Kevin Durant super team
Ugh I miss the old days where you battled for a championship not all this chasing rings. I hope the Nets are epic losers
The good news is I'd definitely bet the field against the two "super teams" (Lakers and Nets).

And I'm not sure what Harden will be now that they are no longer going to reward non-basketball moves. The Nets are clearly loaded but personally I figure the Nets have at least as good of a chance to implode as they do to win it all this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marquese Chriss signs a non-guaranteed contract with the Portland Trail Blazers.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The good news is I'd definitely bet the field against the two "super teams" (Lakers and Nets).

And I'm not sure what Harden will be now that they are no longer going to reward non-basketball moves. The Nets are clearly loaded but personally I figure the Nets have at least as good of a chance to implode as they do to win it all this season.

The Nets without two of their three best players lost to the NBA champs by a few inches. Barring health they’re the overwhelming favorites. Hell they could all hate each other and beat anyone handedly (assuming health).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nets without two of their three best players lost to the NBA champs by a few inches. Barring health they’re the overwhelming favorites. Hell they could all hate each other and beat anyone handedly (assuming health).
Or, another way to say it, the Nets lost to a team that only advanced past a Hawks team once Atlanta's best player came up hobbled and then only won again when they faced another team limited by injury.

As I said, they are loaded but thanks to rules changes Harden will not be the player he's been the past couple of years (he'll still be good, just not unstoppable). And the odds of their big 3 being healthy are not good. Maybe it happens but like I said, I'd take the field over them or the Lakers staying healthy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Or, another way to say it, the Nets lost to a team that only advanced past a Hawks team once Atlanta's best player came up hobbled and then only won again when they faced another team limited by injury.

As I said, they are loaded but thanks to rules changes Harden will not be the player he's been the past couple of years (he'll still be good, just not unstoppable). And the odds of their big 3 being healthy are not good. Maybe it happens but like I said, I'd take the field over them or the Lakers staying healthy.

Actually Trae and Giannis both missed time that series…

As for Harden he doesn’t need to be his old self. He’s basically the main distributor in that scheme. The rule changes won’t mitigate that significantly enough to affect them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Part of what made Harden a good distributor was the attention he required defensively and he won't need that much attention going forward because of his health and athleticism declining and the rule change.

He'll still be good but he won't great.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Part of what made Harden a good distributor was the attention he required defensively and he won't need that much attention going forward because of his health and athleticism declining and the rule change.

He'll still be good but he won't great.

That is true but not because of athleticism or rule changes. He was a different player in Brooklyn than Houston with defenses not solely focused on him. Although he can do that at times like when he beat the Suns single-handedly last year.

-

On average, though, Harden is both passing more often and not driving as deep into the paint in Brooklyn as he did in Houston. His average drive has begun 27.9 feet from the rim (closer than in Houston) and ended 8.2 feet away (farther than in Houston). He’s simply not barreling all the way to the basket at all costs anymore, because he doesn’t feel he has to.

Not getting all the way to the rim quite as often has sent his free-throw rate through the floor. Not flinging himself all the way to the basket has had the knock-on effect of raising the share of his shots originating in floater range (3-to-10 feet away from the basket), per Basketball-Reference.com, with a career-high 26.2 percent of his attempts meeting those qualifications. He’s connecting on those shots at a 49 percent clip, and it’s an especially deadly weapon for him because of how well he disguises whether he’s shooting a floater or throwing an alley-oop.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is true but not because of athleticism or rule changes. He was a different player in Brooklyn than Houston with defenses not solely focused on him. Although he can do that at times like when he beat the Suns single-handedly last year.

-

On average, though, Harden is both passing more often and not driving as deep into the paint in Brooklyn as he did in Houston. His average drive has begun 27.9 feet from the rim (closer than in Houston) and ended 8.2 feet away (farther than in Houston). He’s simply not barreling all the way to the basket at all costs anymore, because he doesn’t feel he has to.

Not getting all the way to the rim quite as often has sent his free-throw rate through the floor. Not flinging himself all the way to the basket has had the knock-on effect of raising the share of his shots originating in floater range (3-to-10 feet away from the basket), per Basketball-Reference.com, with a career-high 26.2 percent of his attempts meeting those qualifications. He’s connecting on those shots at a 49 percent clip, and it’s an especially deadly weapon for him because of how well he disguises whether he’s shooting a floater or throwing an alley-oop.

You're talking about how he played but you don't appear to be considering the effect the rules changes will have on the defense. For the past several years defenders haven't been able to play up against Harden because his ability to draw fouls with non-basketball moves made it almost impossible.

Now that the refs have been instructed to not reward players for non-basketball moves, Harden will have to get by defenders the old fashioned way. I think he'll still be a star, I just don't believe he'll continue to figure prominently in the annual argument for MVP. Of course Harden could decide to drop 25 pounds and get back some of the quickness he's lost the past couple of years but I'll believe that when I see it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You're talking about how he played but you don't appear to be considering the effect the rules changes will have on the defense. For the past several years defenders haven't been able to play up against Harden because his ability to draw fouls with non-basketball moves made it almost impossible.

Now that the refs have been instructed to not reward players for non-basketball moves, Harden will have to get by defenders the old fashioned way. I think he'll still be a star, I just don't believe he'll continue to figure prominently in the annual argument for MVP. Of course Harden could decide to drop 25 pounds and get back some of the quickness he's lost the past couple of years but I'll believe that when I see it.

Defenses will adjust as will offensive players. Harden and Trae are targeted for these rule changes but they’ll still draw a ton of legit fouls. As the article stated he’s already adjusted his game based on the supporting cast. He doesn’t need to bait defenders and live at the FT line anymore.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harden is busy buying rappers extravagant watches and partying...we've seen the last of MVP James

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the Nets roster looks like. If this is correct, expect other moves. I count 21 players.

By Blake Schuster, Bleacher Report, September 3, 2021:

2021-22 Brooklyn Nets Depth Chart

PG:
Kyrie Irving, Patty Mills, Jevon Carter, Marcus Zegarowski

SG: James Harden, Cameron Thomas, DeAndre' Bembry

SF: Joe Harris, Bruce Brown, Kessler Edwards

PF: Kevin Durant, Sekou Doumbouya, Paul Millsap, James Johnson, Reggie Perry, RaiQuan Gray

C: Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Claxton, Day'Ron Sharpe, Jahlil Okafor

Note: For some reason the link does not show up when posted.

Bleacherreport.com/articles

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harden is busy buying rappers extravagant watches and partying...we've seen the last of MVP James

uh he’s been doing that for a decade. It’s his regular off season routine lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson