Malcom Butler

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This makes no sense. First, they sign him and one would think they had an idea he lost a step already. Secondly, where have they shown they had a solution to be happy about right now... in other words, how do they look prepared and initially why did they offer him a contract in the first place because maybe just maybe you would think they worked him out
Most free agents don't get worked out before they sign.. they're signed off of their recent history. It may just have become apparent to the Cardinals, as off-season workouts and training camp went along, that he wasn't the player that they thought they were getting.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This makes no sense. First, they sign him and one would think they had an idea he lost a step already. Secondly, where have they shown they had a solution to be happy about right now... in other words, how do they look prepared and initially why did they offer him a contract in the first place because maybe just maybe you would think they worked him out
Yeah certainly sounds like wishful thinking

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i guess this is a good place to put this:

i am interested this season is seeing how Marco Wilson plays relative to Caleb Farely and Greg Newsome.

Had the Cards taken one the two in rd 1, likely they dont go Wilson in Rd 4.

Maybe Keim and the Cards got lucky on this one........

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i am interested this season is seeing how Marco Wilson plays relative to Caleb Farely and Craig Newsome.

Had the Cards taken on the two in rd 1, likely they dont go Wilson in Rd 4.

Or they could’ve gotten 1 in Rd 1 & still go Wilson in Rd 4 lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Keim didn’t know this? Did Butler suddenly “ lose his legs” in the last 3 moths?…ugh.

Well yeah, it happens all the time.

Casey Hayward went from Pro bowl caliber in 2019 to below average in 2020. Heck, P2 went from one of the fastest backs in the league to a lead footed donkey between the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

So yeah, it happens. I know people like to pile on Keim but I don't see it with this one. Butler was a good value off season pickup on paper. He wasn't to know the guy had lost a step and/or had lost his motivation.

And this is all rumor remember, it may just be that he actually has a personal issue and he removed Cards images from IG because he was never going to play a game and he knew his money was getting paid back.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

i am interested this season is seeing how Marco Wilson plays relative to Caleb Farely and Craig Newsome.

It will be interesting to see what develops, for sure.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know there is a tendency for doom and gloom here but I'm looking round the depth charts of other teams at CB for anyone that might be available for trade and there are lots of teams look comparable to us in terms of their CB room.

Remember Ken Crawley last year that came into camp for around 3 weeks and didn't make the final 53? He's barely played since 2018. He's the Saints starting CB opposite Lattimore this year.

The Bears have 4 CB's on their roster and they are all nobodies. The Jet's CB room has 7 nobodies. The Niners room isn't good. Lot's of teams out there in a similar position to us.

If Dennard hadn't got injured and Butler didn't retire it would have been one of the better groups in the league.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know there is a tendency for doom and gloom here but I'm looking round the depth charts of other teams at CB for anyone that might be available for trade and there are lots of teams look comparable to us in terms of their CB room.

Remember Ken Crawley last year that came into camp for around 3 weeks and didn't make the final 53? He's barely played since 2018. He's the Saints starting CB opposite Lattimore this year.

The Bears have 4 CB's on their roster and they are all nobodies. The Jet's CB room has 7 nobodies. The Niners room isn't good. Lot's of teams out there in a similar position to us.

If Dennard hadn't got injured and Butler didn't retire it would have been one of the better groups in the league.

Do you know Dennard's status?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Farley was already hurt in camp

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I did a roster to roster comparison of the Cardinals vs. Rams and I came away thinking that the reason the Rams are better is Donald and Ramsey. Other than that, the Cardinals have more depth and player for player, a better roster.

football karma

Reaction score
Or they could’ve gotten 1 in Rd 1 & still go Wilson in Rd 4 lol
could have, but i dont think its a reach to say they wouldnt have traded up in the rd 4 to take another CB.

football karma

Reaction score
this is the truth

Daniel Jeremiah was noting a league wide shortage of competent CBs

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Bottom line, had Steve Keim’s drafted the position better the team would not be in the putrid position they are in the secondary. End of story, it’s all on him.

football karma

Reaction score
Let's see if I have this one, correct. When SK misses on a draft pick, he's stupid. When he gets one right, he's lucky. :)
lucky in the sense of -- i dont care who is drafting, getting a 4th rounder to play at a decent level as a rookie in a high leverage position is lucky

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose