Cards cuts

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've moved the goal posts. My first post was in response to your statement that, "He wasn't even good in the CFL." Yet, he had good passing and running stats in his rookie year, and while playing on a broken ankle, helped his team win the Grey Cup in his 2nd year. It's just not true to say he "wasn't even good."

A followup post also minimized his play in the CFL, so I responded to that.

I also added that while literally no one expects him to have starting-level traditional QB ability in the NFL, I believe he can make plays from the QB position in the NFL. We shall see!

...dave

dude... everything you posted showed he wasn't good in the CFL. He was a backup, spot starter and terrible passer. In what universe is that considered good by any standard?

I mean, would you right now say Taysom Hill is good in the NFL?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude... everything you posted showed he wasn't good in the CFL. He was a backup, spot starter and terrible passer. In what universe is that considered good by any standard?

I mean, would you right now say Taysom Hill is good in the NFL?
I'd say he's a good football player. Sean Payton seems to agree. He gets snaps at the QB position & has helped his team win - similar to what Streveler did in the CFL.

...dave

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Streveler is putrid
Wasnt even prepared
That's on Kliff
Atleast we have a decent backup this year

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say he's a good football player. Sean Payton seems to agree. He gets snaps at the QB position & has helped his team win - similar to what Streveler did in the CFL.

...dave

lol... okay Dave. now who's moved the goal posts? The discussion about Strevler was as a backup QB. Thus, the issue is him as a QB, thus the comment about him not being good was in reference to... wait for it... as a QB.

Would you say Hill is a good QB?

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get why they didn't move Streveler to the PS as one of the protected players. They get 4. Right now they're only protecting Seikovits the Austrian TE.

It suggests they plan to dress him on game day, maybe even instead of McCoy who would dress as the starter only if K1 gets injured.

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't get why they didn't move Streveler to the PS as one of the protected players. They get 4. Right now they're only protecting Seikovits the Austrian TE.

It suggests they plan to dress him on game day, maybe even instead of McCoy who would dress as the starter only if K1 gets injured.
And as far as I know Seikovits doesn't even count, players of the International Pathway Program get an extra spot...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would call it neither a hit nor a miss.

My view is that top three rounds you are looking for future starters. If a player isn't a starter within the first two years, they are a miss. A player can also be a miss if they are a below average starter as well. I think longevity matters as well: a decent starter drafted in the first round who isn't resigned should be labeled a miss (Reddick).

For day three guys, rounds 4 & 5 should last more than a year and either contribute as a back up or on special teams. Rounds 6 & 7, have struggles to even make the roster. Michael Menet making the roster is a huge win, but it's not a miss if he doesn't
I think you stay with a BPA approach and expect it to converge with the position-fit approach (Not that it's perfect - as in: you wind up overloaded with slot receivers but thin at TE).

My point - 2 different approaches can net similar results. Also I think Mike B and his staff may scan the roster for lack of leadership at certain positions and may place a greater priority on "intangibles" where appropriate.

But given the opaqueness of this COVID-19 off season, it's hard for us fans to know who's a leader and who's a follower - on the field or off.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the draft should be all about BPA in every round. When need and BPA intersect that's fine. I think a team would have better draft results using this method.

Free agency and trades should be more about fulfilling need.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the draft should be all about BPA in every round. When need and BPA intersect that's fine. I think a team would have better draft results using this method.

BPA is great until you draft 7 Wide Receivers......

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The odds of this happening for one position is remote but in theory, you can always trade excess talent for need.
Like all our small forwards for a PG like the Suns had trouble with a few seasons back? I like the theory of BPA. You do have to fill needs. A good team has a plan on how to fill out their roster. I don't think you can always be 100% with any strategy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The whole term BPA is a joke. It’s too subjective and varies in most cases from one scout to the next.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole term BPA is a joke. It’s too subjective and varies in most cases from one scout to the next.

No, unfortunately it's not. It just takes great scouts. Don't ask me about the Suns 2020 draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like all our small forwards for a PG like the Suns had trouble with a few seasons back? I like the theory of BPA. You do have to fill needs. A good team has a plan on how to fill out their roster. I don't think you can always be 100% with any strategy.

This is where free agency and trades come into play. If a team has a bad draft, it's a wasted pick and a team has nothing to show for it.

Nothing is 100%.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, unfortunately it's not. It just takes great scouts. Don't ask me about the Suns 2020 draft.
No it really is. People on here all the time screaming we should have taken such and such they were the BPA and that person doesn’t go for 3,5,10 picks later... And many times busts. It’s a complete farce and far to subjective.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it really is. People on here all the time screaming we should have taken such and such they were the BPA and that person doesn’t go for 3,5,10 picks later... And many times busts. It’s a complete farce and far to subjective.

Again, a team has to be heavily invested in scouting. Some teams frequently hit on UDFAs.