Malcom Butler

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Our CB room is pretty damn atrocious lol let’s not overthink this.

- A CB that hasn’t played real ball since 2018 & was already falling off before that.

- A CB in his 3rd year that hasn’t fully turned on the switch just yet.

- A CB that is a rookie who had inconsistent college tape & while played solid in preseason, went against QBs like Ben DiNucci & Shane Buchele. I have hope, but let’s relax.

It was already bad with Butler, but eesh, this is just another level.
Pretty much all of this. Pass rush better be top flight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah. It's hilarious how fast people turned from "Actually, Malcolm Butler is better than Patrick Peterson" to "Malcolm Butler is Actually Bad and Easily Replaced."

Because the Cards were bad, people don't remember thatt Byron Murphy was extremely bad his rookie season. It's part of the reason he carries a lot of baggage after an okay second year.
I was going to post this. It’s the koolaid way!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pretty sure he was all the buzz all training camp. Right up until he got burned on the game winning TD in the Pats primetime home opener.
Yup. We started him in his first game as a rookie. Everyone was cheering him. And he flat out sucked.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In keim's mind, probably.

No reasonable, sane, clear thinking person would entertain it however.

I mean, Richard Sherman has been a consummate professional and one of the best CB's in the league.

Everything he has been charged with is a misdemeanor (driving offenses and trying to break in to in laws home) and will likely lead to no jail time or will eventually be dropped.

His wife stood beside him in court.

I find the idea that Sherman is suddenly radioactive to be laughable. I guess nobody here ever made a single mistake in their lives uh?

My only concern with Sherman would be if these root cause of this is behind him and he's mentally in a good place.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What choice do they have? How could they say or do anything else, at this point? Hell, I think I'M the next starter up on the depth chart, and I'm 45 recovering from a broken leg.

I mean, we're definitely due to hit on a later-round pick as a star, for once. Even a blink monkey finds a banana once in a while, right? I'd say blind squirrel, but that was Graves...

Have you considered that the reason Butler hung them up was because it was already apparent that Wilson was going to play over him?

I don't know why that's so hard to believe, especially considering how much you have slated Butler.

Here's a kid that's an elite athlete that's 90%+ percentile in nearly every metric. His forced incompletion percentage was 50% in pre season, the highest of any CB. He was apparently making plays on the ball all the time in practice. So why shouldn't he earn a spot over Butler?

10 Yard Split1.49s*90
20 Yard Split2.51s*89
40 Yard Dash4.35s*92
Vertical Jump43½"*98
Broad Jump136"*98
3-Cone Drill6.8s*80
20 Yard Shuttle4.09s*69
Bench Press26 reps*99

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a lot of "Our CB room sucks", "We are doomed" and "It's the worst in the league" in here. It's nonsense. This fan base has been spoiled by a good P2 at CB for about 6 years and now everyone thinks you need a perennial pro bowler at CB to be any good.

The Seahawks won the division last year with Griffin (not resigned), DJ Reed and Ugo Amadi at CB. They had the leagues best defense in the 2nd half of last season allowing only 15 points per game.

The 49ers, a team everyone thinks is a superbowl contender, has a starting 3 of often injured Jason Verrett, Emanuel Moseley and K'Wuan Williams. Their depth is 2 rookies.

I'm excited for this defense. If Wilson has earned his playing time we have 2 young cornerbacks, 2 young ILB's, 3 young safeties, 4 young interior DL. The only area we need to get younger (and likely the focus next draft) is at OLB.

Also, I hate to break it to folks, but we weren't winning the super bowl this year. I'd rather break in the young guys than ride Butler to a similar result.

What's funny is that if the Seahawks or Niners named a 4th round rookie as a starter (or high in their depth chart) fans here would be shouting "They found a gem again. Why can't Keim do that".

When we do actually do that fan's shout "I can't believe Keim didn't have better vets so we didn't have to play a 4th round pick". Crazy.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There's a lot of "Our CB room sucks", "We are doomed" and "It's the worst in the league" in here. It's nonsense. This fan base has been spoiled by a good P2 at CB for about 6 years and now everyone things you need a perennial pro bowler at CB to be any good.

The Seahawks won the division last year with Griffin (not resigned), DJ Reed and Ugo Amadi at CB. They had the leagues best defense in the 2nd half of last season allowing only 15 points per game.

The 49ers, a team everyone thinks is a superbowl contender, has a starting 3 of often injured Jason Verrett, Emanuel Moseley and K'Wuan Williams. Their depth is 2 rookies.

I'm excited for this defense. If Wilson has earned his playing time we have 2 young cornerbacks, 2 young ILB's, 3 young safeties, 4 young interior DL. The only area we need to get younger (and likely the focus next draft) is at OLB.

Also, I hate to break it to folks, but we weren't winning the super bowl this year. I'd rather break in the young guys than ride Butler to a similar result.

What's funny is that if the Seahawks or Niners named a 4th round rookie as a starter (or high in their depth chart) fans here would be shouting "They found a gem again. Why can't Keim do that".

When we do actually do that fan's shout "I can't believe Keim didn't have better vets so we didn't have to play a 4th round pick". Crazy.

I sure hope you aren't left with egg on your face come season's end, because this is extremely bold. I very much feel we didn't do nearly enough at one of the most important positions on the field, and that was WITH the Butler signing. I hope you're right and I'm wrong on this one, but...yeah, it's not looking good at CB.

Just to be clear for when Wilson balls out game 1 I have also always been on the Wilson train from pre draft.

This is Chris and I celebrating after

You must be registered for see images

I'll be waiting waiting to give yinz each a giant internet jug of Kool Aid to drink in celebration if you're right. I'm not joking, either--this is an honest sentiment. It would be freaking awesome to finally hit on a draft pick like this.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, Richard Sherman has been a consummate professional and one of the best CB's in the league.

Everything he has been charged with is a misdemeanor (driving offenses and trying to break in to in laws home) and will likely lead to no jail time or will eventually be dropped.

His wife stood beside him in court.

I find the idea that Sherman is suddenly radioactive to be laughable. I guess nobody here ever made a single mistake in their lives uh?

My only concern with Sherman would be if these root cause of this is behind him and he's mentally in a good place.

Sherman has been overrated for the better part of his career and a team that isn't committed to playing a zone defense has no business signing him, he stinks in man to man.

And yeah, he is radio active. A few months ago he was, by several accounts, suicidal. It is a different situation than abusive, far more sympathetic, but I don't think guys who are mentally unstable should be subjecting themselves to the rigors of pro football.

He is fabulously wealthy, he should focus on his own well being.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As for our secondary... I think great scheme and coaching can cover for lesser talent. I am not overly confident in our coaching or talent in the secondary.

Hopefully I am wrong, but I think our defense's success is going to rely entirely on the ability and health of our front 7. Ideally, pressuring QBs into quick throws and mistakes and rending the running game useless.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I sure hope you aren't left with egg on your face come season's end, because this is extremely bold. I very much feel we didn't do nearly enough at one of the most important positions on the field, and that was WITH the Butler signing. I hope you're right and I'm wrong on this one, but...yeah, it's not looking good at CB.

I'll be waiting waiting to give yinz each a giant internet jug of Kool Aid to drink in celebration if you're right. I'm not joking, either--this is an honest sentiment. It would be freaking awesome to finally hit on a draft pick like this.

To be honest I'm kinda more concerned about Murphy than Wilson. That's not to say Wilson will be better, but he's a rookie and I expect some rookie issues between flashes of good play.

Murphy for me is a JAG who can't play man coverage. He looks stiff to me and doesn't have the fluidity to mirror. Suits zone much more. Even as a slot which is easier because your often covering TE's and WR3/4 he's been below average. So how is he suddenly being called CB1 and expected to cover guys like Julio outside? It's going to take an enormous leap.

It also doesn't make sense that the coaching staff suddenly think he's CB1 and want him on the field for every snap, but they are going to move him from outside to inside in nickel. Why? If he's your best CB you keep him outside all the time. You don't move him inside to cover lesser guys on more crucial passing downs.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be honest I'm kinda more concerned about Murphy than Wilson. That's not to say Wilson will be better, but he's a rookie and I expect some rookie issues between flashes of good play.

Murphy for me is a JAG who can't play man coverage. He looks stiff to me and doesn't have the fluidity to mirror. Suits zone much more. Even as a slot which is easier because your often covering TE's and WR3/4 he's been below average. So how is he suddenly being called CB1 and expected to cover guys like Julio outside? It's going to take an enormous leap.

It also doesn't make sense that the coaching staff suddenly think he's CB1 and want him on the field for every snap, but they are going to move him from outside to inside in nickel. Why? If he's your best CB you keep him outside all the time. You don't move him inside to cover lesser guys on more crucial passing downs.

I don't think the staff feels he is worthy of CB1 status... they just don't have any other option. In nickle sets they will probably lean on his strength, in two WR formations they seem more confident in him than one of these guys they expected to be on the practice squad or a dude who's ACL's are held together with scotch tape.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the staff feels he is worthy of CB1 status... they just don't have any other option. In nickle sets they will probably lean on his strength, in two WR formations they seem more confident in him than one of these guys they expected to be on the practice squad or a dude who's ACL's are held together with scotch tape.

If they feel more confident in him outside in base why move him inside ever? The biggest threats are never inside. If they feel he's the best option outside at all then keep him outside. Nickel CB's are 10 a penny.

Pick up Jimmy Moreland who played slot for Washington last year or Robey-Coleman or Rasul Douglas.

What you don;t do is more a guy you think is your best CB from the most important CB position to the least important CB position unless he;s shadowing their best receiver into the slot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave