Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I know the Thad Young stuff is what most are focused on, understandably so, but I wouldn't mind DeAndre Jordan as a 3rd Center if the Nets let him go. How is his relationship with Chris Paul? CP3 made him an All-Star in LA. I'm not sure if there's bad blood though. That would move Frank to being 3rd string PF, which is probably for the best.

Jordan has been done for a couple of years now. I watched him in Dallas a lot and he was pretty useless.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also as the story goes, look for the Suns to acquire an additional piece possibly via buyout.

Suns presently have 14 players on their roster.

The Thad Young trade rumor would involve two players going out (Smith and Saric) so that would get the Suns down to 13 players even adding Young. If that happens the Suns would still be looking for at least one other player to get to 14.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also as the story goes, look for the Suns to acquire an additional piece possibly via buyout.

Suns presently have 14 players on their roster.

The Thad Young trade rumor would involve two players going out (Smith and Saric) so that would get the Suns down to 13 players even adding Young. If that happens the Suns would still be looking for at least one other player to get to 14.
This deal kinda scares me. Hope we don't give up something we shouldn't (Saric and Smith would be Ok).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This deal kinda scares me. Hope we don't give up something we shouldn't (Saric and Smith would be Ok).

I doubt the Suns would give up more than Saric and Smith in a trade unless it's a second round pick(s).

James Jones has some cash ( about $4.5 million MLE) so if he wants to add more to the team he will probably look for buyouts. On minimum deals he wouldn't have to use the remaining MLE.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When things get stagnant in the NBA it's fun to listen to Flex From Jersey. He is the ultimate high. I take everything as rumor but I think he has some sources.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan has been done for a couple of years now. I watched him in Dallas a lot and he was pretty useless.

He isn't what he was from what I saw this year in Brooklyn but I wasn't sure how he was in Dallas. That's telling. Like I said I viewed him as a possible 3rd Center so he may work in that role since he wouldn't see much time but I guess it depends on how done he is. Is he still a decent rim protector? If he can then I'd say bring him in. The Nets don't p!ay defense so I can't judge based on his limited time there.

He could be a good mentor for Ayton since he knows what CP3 wants. Ayton has talked about watching tape of DJ & Blake from the Clippers to try and see cuts where Paul would find them.

I guess I would be more for it if the Thad Young trade happens because then wed need a 14th roster spot filled and he could do that while leaving us 1 more spot for later.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would you want Jordan when you have McGee. Basically the same player. We need a pf.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you want Jordan when you have McGee. Basically the same player. We need a pf.

yeah, being interested in a totally washed up Jordan while slagging a guy like Paul Milsap, who was more productive than Jordan and is in a position of need at backup PF seems odd to me.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why we freed up a spot by getting rid of Alexander. I'm sure James Jones is keeping that 15th spot open for buyouts/all-star time frame.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why we freed up a spot by getting rid of Alexander. I'm sure James Jones is keeping that 15th spot open for buyouts/all-star time frame.

I wish Ty-Shon Alexander well but he did not impress during summer league. He was on a two-way contract.

Kyle Alexander was more impressive in summer league if the Suns want to look at another two-way contract. The Suns might decide not to add any two-way contracts if they pursue some of the rumored trades.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been crickets do you guys think JJ has an ace up his sleeve?

I do. I think James Jones is playing chess this season.

He can play it so many ways. By leaving an open roster spot he can pursue buyouts (whenever they happen) and he has some extra cash to pay a player more than the minimum if need be with the partial $4.5 million MLE.

In the meanwhile, he can see if Stix develops while also looking at trade options.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do. I think James Jones is playing chess this season.

He can play it so many ways. By leaving an open roster spot he can pursue buyouts (whenever they happen) and he has some extra cash to pay a player more than the minimum if need be with the partial $4.5 million MLE.

In the meanwhile, he can see if Stix develops while also looking at trade options.

Playing stix could hurt his value, if he stinks it up that bad

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stix is unlikely to see much game action unless he develops. If he shows anything it will likely be in practice. The Suns have a deeper bench this season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure hiding a player to protect his trade value is done occasionally but I suspect you can outsmart yourself thinking like that. Better to play him so he can develop and you can find out what you have. Especially when you're talking about a player like Jalen that doesn't have a whole lot of trade value to begin with.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure hiding a player to protect his trade value is done occasionally but I suspect you can outsmart yourself thinking like that. Better to play him so he can develop and you can find out what you have. Especially when you're talking about a player like Jalen that doesn't have a whole lot of trade value to begin with.
They should just do their best to develop him and forget about trying to hide him and pass him off to someone else as something he is not. Its like selling a car on craigslist. Go ahead and list the positives and negatives.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only throwing a name out there.

It's expected PF Juancho Hernangomez will be waived by the Grizzlies.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Stix does earn playing time and plays well this is the best case scenario.

This is why the Suns drafted him. He would be the Suns young power forward of the future. There would be no need to trade him. Quite the opposite. The Suns would want to keep him.

The Suns could then look toward other options such as buyout to fill out their roster whenever the opportunity arises.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Suns are interested in T. Young, per Shams.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Stix does earn playing time and plays well this is the best case scenario.

This is why the Suns drafted him. He would be the Suns young power forward of the future. There would be no need to trade him. Quite the opposite. The Suns would want to keep him.

The Suns could then look toward other options such as buyout to fill out their roster whenever the opportunity arises.
Stix has been working his ass off, it showed in summer league and that shirtless pic of him.

I feel like he has the skills and IQ all he really needs is BULK and experience.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stix has been working his ass off, it showed in summer league and that shirtless pic of him.

I feel like he has the skills and IQ all he really needs is BULK and experience.

If Stix takes the next step everything should fall into place. The question I have is how much more weight can he carry. Stix is in terrific shape as you mention. Of course Christian Wood has turned into a good player and he only weighs 214 pounds. I'm torn about trading Stix.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if we could get Thad Young w/o losing Stix?

Only if he is bought out which seems unlikely at the moment.

The Suns would have to come close to matching salaries in a trade. Thad has a $14,190,000 million expiring contract.

Saric makes only $8,510,000 million.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA