Roster ideas and rumors for Suns

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt Smith is ready to play but I suspect he is better than Knox right now.

In another year Knox will be signing in China. He’s a disaster.
Stix is def not ready yet. But he's ready to get SOME mins. If we keep him we should prob try to get him some nba court time.
We stand a good chance of blowing some teams out this year, throw his butt out there. Unless we can trade him for an NBA ready player we should keep him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For any of those keeping an eye on Kevin Love.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love will need to leave a lot of cash on the table to be bought out. He has 2 full seasons on his contract left. If he were exposing then I could see keeping watch but he's not. He also has won a ring already, he's not desperate to ring chase before he hangs up his sneakers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love will need to leave a lot of cash on the table to be bought out. He has 2 full seasons on his contract left. If he were exposing then I could see keeping watch but he's not. He also has won a ring already, he's not desperate to ring chase before he hangs up his sneakers.
And maybe things have changed for him but he's always wanted to return to So Cal. So even though the Lakers are a franchise barreling towards irrelevance, Love might still prefer to land there. <relax Laker fans, I'm just testing the theory that you can type something into existence>

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And maybe things have changed for him but he's always wanted to return to So Cal. So even though the Lakers are a franchise barreling towards irrelevance, Love might still prefer to land there. <relax Laker fans, I'm just testing the theory that you can type something into existence>

NBA buyouts are weird. Very often you see guys get bought out and still take home 90% of the money they were due, more often than not I am left confused by the team's motivation. Just a desire to move on from dead money I suppose.

I think that Love will be bought out. The Cavs will shop him around, offering him up for anything that could clear his contract, I don't think anyone will bite and that they will buy him out either right before the season or right around the trade deadline.

I also agree with Steve. I think his most likely destination is with one of the LA teams, but if he was interested I would absolutely take him here. Love on a near minimum deal is a no brainer, he is a shell of the player he was but we won't find anyone half as good for that price.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBA buyouts are weird. Very often you see guys get bought out and still take home 90% of the money they were due, more often than not I am left confused by the team's motivation. Just a desire to move on from dead money I suppose.

I think that Love will be bought out. The Cavs will shop him around, offering him up for anything that could clear his contract, I don't think anyone will bite and that they will buy him out either right before the season or right around the trade deadline.

I also agree with Steve. I think his most likely destination is with one of the LA teams, but if he was interested I would absolutely take him here. Love on a near minimum deal is a no brainer, he is a shell of the player he was but we won't find anyone half as good for that price.

Buyouts are strange. Like in Blake Griffin's case at least Detroit didn't sign him but Cleveland signed Love knowing they'd suck. Sure, plans change but giving him an early out seems like really bad management. I believe they have the same GM in Cleveland who extended him. Love more than other buyouts should lead to someone losing their job because the same people who got them in this mess are still running things. I'd be pissed if I were the Cavs owner.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe OKC would be a candidate to take Kevin Love in trade if Cleveland would cough up some draft picks.

Then the Thunder could wait awhile and trade him for more draft picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Love says he is not interested in discussing buyout.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kevin Love says he is not interested in discussing buyout.

Good for him. I doubt he'll make it to the end of his contract but it's refreshing to see a player stick to their contract. It's not like the Cav's are asking a lot of him either.

Maybe he hopes to rehab his image before hitting the open market because right now there's no way he'd recoup what he'd lose in a buyout. I'd be shocked if anyone offered him more than the Bi-Annual Exception and even that would be for just a season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be a negotiating tactic as well or another way to say he wants his full salary.

I suspect Kevin Love will be traded for another large contract or contracts. He could also end up in OKC who can absorb his salary for draft picks.

By Adrian Wojnarowsk iSenior NBA Insider:

"There have been no talks with Cleveland on a buyout, nor is there any interest from Kevin in doing a buyout," Schwartz told ESPN.

The Cavaliers have periodically explored trading Love -- a scenario he supports -- but have been unable to find a deal they're willing to execute, sources said.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It could be a negotiating tactic as well or another way to say he wants his full salary.

I suspect Kevin Love will be traded for another large contract or contracts. He could also end up in OKC who can absorb his salary for draft picks.

By Adrian Wojnarowsk iSenior NBA Insider:

"There have been no talks with Cleveland on a buyout, nor is there any interest from Kevin in doing a buyout," Schwartz told ESPN.

The Cavaliers have periodically explored trading Love -- a scenario he supports -- but have been unable to find a deal they're willing to execute, sources said.

I don't think OKC has the space to absorb his salary outright at this time. They have like $26 million or so in cap space, which is a lot but Love is owed over $30 million this year. They'd need to send something back. That would cost Cleveland a few picks also and they aren't in position to give them up. They still are pretty bad and have a few years before they're a playoff team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OKC has the type contracts they should be able to easily move to absorb Kevin Love if it puts them over the salary cap.

Their salaries total $79,325,717 from what I have seen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OKC has the type contracts they should be able to easily move to absorb Kevin Love if it puts them over the salary cap.

Their salaries total $79,325,717 from what I have seen.

They have a lot of cap holds currently. Spotrac lists their cap space at $20 million. Scroll down and you'll see that closer to the bottom.

Spotrac.com/nba/oklahoma-city-thunder//cap

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
36 year old Chris Paul says it's 2021, far too late to bring in some kid who hasn't even turned 33 yet.

If he was coming off an all pro season like CP3 in OKC there’d be a market for him. Kevin Love’s game has aged very poorly. He’s also a loser who quit on his team and gets hurt a lot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he was coming off an all pro season like CP3 in OKC there’d be a market for him. Kevin Love’s game has aged very poorly. He’s also a loser who quit on his team and gets hurt a lot.
He is clearly in decline but he's still good enough to give you spot minutes. The injuries and the depression issues are a concern and his salary is a killer. But, if you got him cheap as a backup to our backup at the 4, he'd be perfect for us. I don't believe he's on our radar but we'd be very fortunate to get an end of the bench guy that can play like him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He is clearly in decline but he's still good enough to give you spot minutes. The injuries and the depression issues are a concern and his salary is a killer. But, if you got him cheap as a backup to our backup at the 4, he'd be perfect for us. I don't believe he's on our radar but we'd be very fortunate to get an end of the bench guy that can play like him.

We’re not making our 8/9th guy the 3rd highest paid player on the roster. Kevin Love to the Suns was a nice idea 6-7 years ago.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re not making our 8/9th guy the 3rd highest paid player on the roster. Kevin Love to the Suns was a nice idea 6-7 years ago.

I think it was a bad idea 6 or 7 years ago, he was never worth that money IMO. And I'm not sure what you mean here, are you saying Love currently makes too much money to play the role I'm talking about? Because if you are, then I'd absolutely agree. I don't want Love AND his salary. I only want him if he's cheap, in salary and acquisition cost. That's why I don't believe he's really on our radar.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach
He would be a good addition to give you solid minutes. He doesn't do anything great but he can consistently give you double digit points. He disappears on the boards to often but he is also a decent passer to cutters. He is a solid pickup for this late in the offseason so to speak. I don't see much else out there. The Suns should go for it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flex from Jersey has been all over the Dario Saric and Jalen Smith for Thaddeus Young trade even in his most recent podcast.

Reportedly Thad Young wants to play for the Suns and has made that known.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If one wants to get their battery charged here is a link to a recent podcast with Flex From Jersey.

I'd recommend starting at the 30 minute mark if one doesn't want to listen to the whole podcast.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

I know the Thad Young stuff is what most are focused on, understandably so, but I wouldn't mind DeAndre Jordan as a 3rd Center if the Nets let him go. How is his relationship with Chris Paul? CP3 made him an All-Star in LA. I'm not sure if there's bad blood though. That would move Frank to being 3rd string PF, which is probably for the best.