Can Chase Edmonds be a solid NFL Starting RB?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
If not, why are we relying on him this season? I am going to google how all the starting RBs are rated compared to each other. I will report my findings.

Okay, I looked at 4 sites who ranked the top 30 or 32. Nfl.com has Edmonds listed as 26th, while all the others have him at 30 or not listed at all in the top 30. Those that listed him, even though low, had nothing but good things and expectations to say about him.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think he really just needs to be a serviceable starter with Kyler’s running ability and Conner as a complementary back. If Kyler gets hurt and Conner is ineffective, I don’t think Chase can carry an offense, nor has it been designed for him to do so.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If not, why are we relying on him this season? I am going to google how all the starting RBs are rated compared to each other. I will report my findings.

Okay, I looked at 4 sites who ranked the top 30 or 32. Nfl.com has Edmonds listed as 26th, while all the others have him at 30 or not listed at all in the top 30. Those that listed him, even though low, had nothing but good things and expectations to say about him.
So...A bunch of sites rank Chase high, low or sideways. They have their right to their opinion. But that's all it is - an educated opinion that might be accurate - or not. (That's why they play the games.

From a pure business standpoint, I'd be a bit leery of investing too much on a smallish asset who might prove brittle. Pays to have a suitable (& durable) backup

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While Chase may be the technical starter, I definitely think you’ll see running back by committee. We’re not a RB-focused team, with Kyler and the WRs we have, we’re going to be throwing the ball, counting on the horizontal passing game (mesh routes, WR screens, quick outs, jet sweeps, etc.) as more of our short-yardage running game. Chase is exceptional in the open field - very fast, can catch, and is great in space. I just don’t see him as a pound-the-rock between the tackles kind of back. I hope I’m wrong, but he hasn’t produced like that up to this point in his career, and I doubt that kind of change is going to be made now after he’s established his play style in the NFL.

I think Connor or Eno will wind up sharing time in the running game for sure, and I’d expect to see all three backs getting significant time, with Edmonds getting most of the yardage, but one of the other backs getting snaps in goal-line.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No he is not really what you would desire in a starter in my opinion, but he is the best the cards have by far IMO. I think he will be passable if the passing offense lives up to it's potential (it probably won't).

I was hoping we would draft someone, but they never did for some reason.

If we are a good rushing team, it's going to be because Kyler loosens up the defense with his running ability. Him stating he does not want to run as much this season worries me, because it was by far the most effective part of our offense last season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
While Chase may be the technical starter, I definitely think you’ll see running back by committee. We’re not a RB-focused team, with Kyler and the WRs we have, we’re going to be throwing the ball, counting on the horizontal passing game (mesh routes, WR screens, quick outs, jet sweeps, etc.) as more of our short-yardage running game. Chase is exceptional in the open field - very fast, can catch, and is great in space. I just don’t see him as a pound-the-rock between the tackles kind of back. I hope I’m wrong, but he hasn’t produced like that up to this point in his career, and I doubt that kind of change is going to be made now after he’s established his play style in the NFL.

I think Connor or Eno will wind up sharing time in the running game for sure, and I’d expect to see all three backs getting significant time, with Edmonds getting most of the yardage, but one of the other backs getting snaps in goal-line.
I think Ward will be in for playing time over Benjamin. When I pulled up his college tape when we signed him as a UDFA, I was impressed. Decent size and speed and he is fairly explosive.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No he is not really what you would desire in a starter in my opinion, but he is the best the cards have by far IMO. I think he will be passable if the passing offense lives up to it's potential (it probably won't).

I was hoping we would draft someone, but they never did for some reason.

If we are a good rushing team, it's going to be because Kyler loosens up the defense with his running ability. Him stating he does not want to run as much this season worries me, because it was by far the most effective part of our offense last season.
Outside of using a round one pick or reaching in round two, none of the good prospects were available in round two.

Javonte Williams was my guy, but as I thought from running mock draft simulators, he was long gone by the time the Cardinals selected.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
In a 17 game season, I think it's hard to designate any back as a dependable starter. Stump Mitchell for the Cards back in the day was a smallish back but remarkably durable. Most teams use a running back by committee approach and especially an offense like the Cardinals run

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have to define what a starting RB is in this offense and IMO the answer is yes.

Kenyan Drake got 4.8 YPC 2 years ago as the starter, came during the season so didn't play the full year for us. Same year Edmonds was at 5.1 in 60 carries so not a ton of carries but not like it was 10.

If you watched Drake last year if it was blocked for 4, he got 4, if it was blocked for 6, he got 4, he just wasn't decisive or quick to the hole. He had a couple of really good games with some nice runs I kept hoping we'd get 2019 KD but we never did. Edmonds consistently makes the first guy miss, he dramatically improved as a receiver last year to where Drake was nowhere near as good, and IMO he improved as an inside runner too.

Can he take 20 carries a game no, but that's not what this offense really needs from him IMO. We need him to help spread the field. Conner hopefully for the short yardage runs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He's an adequate complementary back, but not a starter. He can contribute, but that's what I think his limit is. He might have a good game here or there, but I think we have a pretty bottom tier RB room in the league.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's an adequate complementary back, but not a starter. He can contribute, but that's what I think his limit is. He might have a good game here or there, but I think we have a pretty bottom tier RB room in the league.
The running game does not look like a strong point at the moment

Run blocking as well as our backs are a concern

Would be nice if Eno could step it up, but we haven't seen him do anything against first teams defenses

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I also feel that the Cards RBs are a major weakness. Maybe we will pick one up after the cuts are made next week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where that becomes a problem IMO is if Kyler is serious about not wanting to run as often. Then it puts more onus on the RB's to get the rushing yards. If we see what we saw late last year, 6 DB's 2 deep safeties we're going to have to run the ball better than we did. That's where it will be a key if it's not Kyler can the RB's punish teams for playing that many small guys?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Offense has ran more since air red, I have high hopes since we finally Structually added a run game coordinator and an offense coordinator. Chase is a good back imo - but bell cow is not his role. Should be connors role. If you want to force defenses into plays that help r/p option or play action. It is disrespectful to NFL defenses if you are dead set on beating them one dimensional. Conner needs 5 carries each 1/4- chase won’t hold up - he can maybe to 5 touches each 1/4 - but that takes away from Hopkins and others.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever happens with Chase can we at least drop the idea that he's a "small" back.

The average height of an NFL back is 5'10". Chase is 5'9".

He's 210lb, the average is 214lb. He's an average sized RB.

He's the same size as Aaron Jones. Dalvin Cook is 5'10" and 210lbs. Barry Sanders was 5'7.5" and 205lb.

If he fails it's not size related.