Our Backup QBs

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have to say that both have looked good in the first two games. I was expecting McCoy to impress, but Streveler has surprised. His TD toss to Travis was impressive, and he brings a running toughness to the position. I think that they both make the team. Anyone agree?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to say that both have looked good in the first two games. I was expecting McCoy to impress, but Streveler has surprised. His TD toss to Travis was impressive, and he brings a running toughness to the position. I think that they both make the team. Anyone agree?

I'm not changing my opinion on Streveler based on a few snaps in preseason. He's never going to be an NFL QB.

McCoy however has looked very good. Looks like he gets the scheme. Looks confident and comfortable.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brit, what do you think of CS has a gimmick QB? QB sneaks, etc. We never, hardly ever, ran a 'sneak', last year, when we were often faced with a third/fourth and inches.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not changing my opinion on Streveler based on a few snaps in preseason. He's never going to be an NFL QB.

McCoy however has looked very good. Looks like he gets the scheme. Looks confident and comfortable.

Based on what this statement?
Do u have any experience coaching or its all about to follow the herd
The guy made ton of improvements in his mechanics, and displayed great touch on some of his throws, the realese is quick and has has good velocity
The guy offers different skilset and toughness
He deserve a spot, and certainly he ll get one
Btw McCoy didn't look so great, just average, if he has to throw over 15 yards it's a mess
I know u didn't watch the first game and a not sure u even watched the second one
U base great part of your opinions on pff ratings, sometimes can be good but quite often is not

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on what this statement?
Do u have any experience coaching or its all about to follow the herd
The guy made ton of improvements in his mechanics, and displayed great touch on some of his throws, the realese is quick and has has good velocity
The guy for the different skilset and toughness he offers he deserve a spot, and certainly he ll get one
Btw McCoy didn't look so great, just average
I know u didn't watch the first game and a not sure u even watched the second one
U base ton of your opinion on pff ratings

Actually I watched both games.

Streveler had 1 drive and 6 pass attempts against 3rd stringers. Yes he made a nice TD pass, he is after all a QB, its kinda expected of him. But forgive me while I don't change my opinion of him based on 5 passes.

McCoy played much longer. Made 13 of 18 (72%) for 113 yards with 2nd and 3rd string guys on top of 6/7 for 70 yards vs Cowboys. A game Streveler completed 12 of 24.

So no, I'm not going to change my opinion because of 1 TD and 5 passes.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually I watched both games.

Streveler had 1 drive and 6 pass attempts against 3rd stringers. Yes he made a nice TD pass, he is after all a QB, its kinda expected of him. But forgive me while I don't change my opinion of him based on 5 passes.

McCoy played much longer. Made 13 of 18 (72%) for 113 yards with 2nd and 3rd string guys on top of 6/7 for 70 yards vs Cowboys. A game Streveler completed 12 of 24.

So no, I'm not going to change my opinion because of 1 TD and 5 passes.
Last week u were talking good about the punter for a 50 yards punt, but the punt was a horrible 35 yards that bounced 20yards down the field

McCoy is good for dink dunk plays, has good pocket presence but is a terrible qb cause can't do nothing with his arm beyond 15yards

Streveler attempts were much longer throws, so the % comparison is irrilevant

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing against u @BritCard but I don't get how the supposed to be experts, people who eat football like bread, praise McCoy who Is a very mediocre thrower, and in this NFL can't do nothing
Can be adequate just as a game manager if we are 20 points ahead in the fourth quarter

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last week u were talking good about the punter for a 50 yards punt, but the punt was a horrible 35 yards that bounced 20yards down the field

McCoy is good for dink dunk plays, has good pocket presence but is a terrible qb cause can't do nothing with his arm beyond 15yards

Streveler attempts were much longer throws, so the % comparison is irrilevant

So I missed the punt...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing against u @BritCard but I don't get how the supposed to be experts, people who eat football like bread, praise McCoy who Is a very mediocre thrower, and in this NFL can't do nothing
Can be adequate just as a game manager if we are 20 points ahead in the fourth quarter

You're praising Streveler based on 5 passes. By comparison McCoy is Peyton Manning.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're praising Streveler based on 5 passes. By comparison McCoy is Peyton Manning.
I praise a younger player made a big leap as a passer
He has more chance to turn into a serviceable back up then Mccoy
Then u insist with those stats, Mccoy is fine just with short passes, Tha s why he has % of completed passes

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I praise a younger player made a big leap as a passer
He has more chance to turn into a serviceable back up then Mccoy
Then u insist with those stats, Mccoy is fine just with short passes, Tha s why he has % of completed passes
Streveler had 4.45 yards per attempt vs Cowboys.

I'm not changing my mind because of 5 passes.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Well, they are both backup QBs. I like McCoy more and his BB gun arm as one who can manage a game and give a team a consistent approach that might win a few games if Kyler goes down provided the defense is up to the task. Stev is the type of guy who will be sporadic and play some hero ball which during a regular season game will result in more mistakes than splash plays

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I think they have both looked good this preseason. McCoy is no doubt #2, and if we can afford to have a #3, then I have no problem with Streveler being that guy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I think they have both looked good this preseason. McCoy is no doubt #2, and if we can afford to have a #3, then I have no problem with Streveler being that guy.

One TD pass aside how has Streveler looked good?

His preseason stats are 56% completion rate, 6 yards per attempt and 1 TD vs guys that wouldn't make it in the CFL and in 2 weeks time will be selling insurance.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JMO, but I think that CS has looked MUCH better than last year. And, this PS, in his second game, he looked better than in the first game.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One TD pass aside how has Streveler looked good?

His preseason stats are 56% completion rate, 6 yards per attempt and 1 TD vs guys that wouldn't make it in the CFL and in 2 weeks time will be selling insurance.
You do realize we're arguing about a "possible" 3rd string QB. Like a few have already stated, we're probably dead in the water if Murray were to get injured. And McCoy is DEFINITELY #2. So, calm down & we can argue about something that actually matters.;) On a positive note, I've been finding myself agreeing with many of your posts of late.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You do realize we're arguing about a "possible" 3rd string QB. Like a few have already stated, we're probably dead in the water if Murray were to get injured. And McCoy is DEFINITELY #2. So, calm down & we can argue about something that actually matters.;) On a positive note, I've been finding myself agreeing with many of your posts of late.

It's a fair point. I just don't get where these "Streveler has looked good/better" opinions I've seen come from. Must be watching a different Streveler.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I thought McCoy looked okay; better than expected. I‘m not spending a roster spot on a gimmick QB, so I’m not a Streveler fan.
Agreed. Taysom Hill works because he also plays on special teams.