Josh Rosen - 2021 Season

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Josh really needed to be drafted by Buffalo. They would have tolerated mediocre play or 2 years and then kept building talent around him. The work they've done with Josh Allen is remarkable. Thought he was headed the Trubisky route.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not like to be responsible for drafting QB's.

I was actually team Lamar in that class and I feel I got that one right, but I had Rosen down as most NFL ready and thought he would at least be a solid pro. On the other hand I didn't like him at all as a person.

It ended up the opposite. I really like the guy, but he's just missing something mentally as a QB. He has the arm but there's just something missing in his processing now and again that makes in a liability.

I think he will hang around in the league as a potential backup unless he calls it quits himself.

I was happy we took a chance on him but i did say if you watched him at UCLA, and I did lots, he was never as good as you thought he should have been given the size, arm and intelligence. He consistently missed open deep guys at UCLA. Different offense every year, sometimes within the season, terrible OL so I found ways to excuse his weaknesses and hoped he'd be good.

You could see as a rookie what you expect is the game slows down as the season goes on, it didn't for Josh. our OL was bad and got much worse as the season went on, the WR's were off the street bad, but he just never got better he got worse. the game never slowed down for him. Weird he's an EXTREMELY smart guy, and he worked hard but just never got there.

I hope he gets another chance somewhere but seems unlikely he'll ever get where I expected he would

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was happy we took a chance on him but i did say if you watched him at UCLA, and I did lots, he was never as good as you thought he should have been given the size, arm and intelligence. He consistently missed open deep guys at UCLA. Different offense every year, sometimes within the season, terrible OL so I found ways to excuse his weaknesses and hoped he'd be good.

You could see as a rookie what you expect is the game slows down as the season goes on, it didn't for Josh. our OL was bad and got much worse as the season went on, the WR's were off the street bad, but he just never got better he got worse. the game never slowed down for him. Weird he's an EXTREMELY smart guy, and he worked hard but just never got there.

I hope he gets another chance somewhere but seems unlikely he'll ever get where I expected he would

Same. I saw his size, his arm and his obvious intelligence and wrote off the underwhelming stats and play to what he had around him and the poor coaching.

The moral of the story is that you never can tell with QB's. The mental stuff is so important and so difficult to quantify.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Wrong.

It was keep Rosen and draft Quinnen Williams.

Keep it straight.
You are correct. Forgot, I didn't want the Cards to draft Bosa because they were talking about moving him to OLB, a position he had never played, and Williams was the guy I wanted.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm one of them. And would still probably do it that way. The Cards haven't exactly lit the league on fire with Murray either. This will be the telling year.
And you have been thoroughly proven wrong my friend. So, did you expect the Cardinals to go from the worst team in Cardinal history to a serious contender in 2 seasons? The kid was the OROY & then a pro bowler. Best young QB in Cardinal history & no one else is even close.

Last edited:

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched both Rosen & Herbert extensively during their college careers, paying attention because both were getting so much hype. I never understood the hype behind Rosen, just didn't see any great NFL future in him because he never looked that special to me. Watching Herbert, I couldn't help but think I was seeing the same thing all over again - all the physical tools, tons of hype, but nothing special to get excited about. Wow, look how different they turned out to be at the next level. It's a shame that Herbert went to the Chargers because they're going nowhere fast (except out of LA sooner than later because nobody will ever show up for their games there).

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
And you have been thoroughly proven wrong my friend. So, did you expect the Cardinals to go from the worst team in Cardinal history to a serious contender in 2 seasons? The kid was the OROY & then a pro bowler. Best young QB in Cardinal history & no one else is even close.
When they finish above .500 and make the playoffs, you can talk.
Until that happens, I’d be slow to call people out.

He may be the best young QB in cards history but that’s not a high bar to clear. He has a looong way to go to get in the class of Warner, Hart, or Palmer.

And you could argue Lomax was a better young QB until he got hurt.

and don’t forget Plummer either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

He may be the best young QB in cards history but that’s not a high bar to clear. He has a looong way to go to get in the class of Warner, Hart, or Palmer.

Long way to go to have the career those guys had. However, as a Cardinal? I'd say Kurt and Carson each had 1 or maybe 2 years better than Kyler did last year. In terms of their Cardinal careers.

Factoring in everything yea he's got a ways to go.

4800 yards total/37 tds total is impressive no matter how you slice it. Offense friendly era or not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Josh should do IMO is do what Warner did, go play in a "lesser" league, for Josh I'd say Canada where he should be able to go out and play. He hasn't really played much since his rookie year and when he was playing in Miami he had a very short leash because of Fitzpatrick being there. He needs a situation where he can just go play for a year or two and hopefully for him things slow down. I just don't know if Josh is going to be interested in canada. He doesn't need the money, he's got so many other interests he may just try and stick somewhere as a FA again.

Lots of UCLA fans I know when it first happened were saying well the Cards organization stinks, they have no clue. 2 years later most of them have figured it out, there WAS a reason the Cards moved on from Josh so quickly. We didn't necessarily see it because we only saw the games, but they saw the practices etc too and apparently they figured out he's not the guy and moved on.

In a sense he reminds me a bit of Rob Johnson who had that one great run for a few games got a big contract and then the whole NFL figured out he couldn't handle the rush he stared down the pass rush and held the ball and got sacked. He just never got past that. Josh has some of those issues but the main one is the game just never slowed down for him, he several times a game throws a ball that has picksix written all over it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

and

Hahahahaha. I love you dude, but come on. Have you even looked at stats for Cardinal QB’s over their 1st two seasons??? Especially when you consider that Cardinals were the worst team in the NFL when they drafted Murray.

Murray
7693 passing yards
46 tds / 24 ints / 16 rushing tds
Avg over 65% completion
OROY / Pro Bowl

Hart
5067 passing yards
47% completion %
34 tds / 48 interceptions

Lomax
2942 passing yards
52% completion %
9 touchdowns/ 16 interceptions

Plummer
5940 passing yards
55% completion %
32 tds / 35 int / 6 rushing tds

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only we had a Rosen / Falcons thread... oh wait ...

You must be registered for see images attach

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Hollywood is already sequestering scripts for the story of a first round draft pick and his exploits trying to stick with a team and of course finally leading to super bowl victory, followed by a famous career as one of the country's top surgeons.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
^^ to play as 2nd half of double-feature when Kurt Warner biopic debuts this winter.

NOT!

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I don’t dislike the guy at all, but I find it odd to still keep tabs on the guy 5 teams later. Must have been really attached to him in college.

Agreed. I think many of us feel like Keim should have at least talked to him before Murray was drafted. So we wish him the best. Pretty low class move not to call him on the day of the draft. Classic Keim