Suns free agency recap and going forward

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a catch-22. Anyone who is significantly better than Frank wouldn’t be willing to be a third string Center on a team with limited center minutes available.

I'm not talking about a center, I'm talking about a power forward. McGee is our backup center.

Against the bucks we needed at least 3 bigs. 2 to guard Lopez and Giannis, and at least one to sub in for Ayton and guard Portis. The minutes he was off the floor was when we got smoked, primarly due to no rebounding. Same thing against the Lakers before Davis got hurt.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I'm not talking about a center, I'm talking about a power forward. McGee is our backup center.

You were talking about Frank and Frank is our number 3 Center, not our number 2 PF.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We can make the playoffs without size at the 4, but we WILL get sent home without it in the playoffs.
Mcgee and Shamet will be upgrades over Craig and Jevon. How could they not be. I mean if they play more than 5 min a game that's already a plus.
I don't know what the waiting game is all about as far as filling the roster goes. I'm not sure why Frank is back but good for him I guess, I hope he's not a PF option this season.
Stix is at least a year away but i hope you guys are right id love to see him play some.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can make the playoffs without size at the 4, but we WILL get sent home without it in the playoffs.
Mcgee and Shamet will be upgrades over Craig and Jevon. How could they not be. I mean if they play more than 5 min a game that's already a plus.
I don't know what the waiting game is all about as far as filling the roster goes. I'm not sure why Frank is back but good for him I guess, I hope he's not a PF option this season.

agree with this. McGee and Shamet shore up two pieces of the bench, but Dario’s done for the year and his spot needs to be adequately filled if we want the best shot to win this thing.

the tough part about losing Dario is he was another creator on the second unit with Payne which is part of what made that unit special the first half of the year. As he wore down, he didn’t play at the same level the second half of the year, but he still provided at least A LITTLE creation for himself and others. That will be a tough thing to replace. Hopefully Shamet can do a little of that, but it’s still something missing besides more beef down low.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
agree with this. McGee and Shamet shore up two pieces of the bench, but Dario’s done for the year and his spot needs to be adequately filled if we want the best shot to win this thing.

the tough part about losing Dario is he was another creator on the second unit with Payne which is part of what made that unit special the first half of the year. As he wore down, he didn’t play at the same level the second half of the year, but he still provided at least A LITTLE creation for himself and others. That will be a tough thing to replace. Hopefully Shamet can do a little of that, but it’s still something missing besides more beef down low.
I honestly think if Dario didn't go down when he did we could have rings now, maybe lol.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Totally happy with Tank coming back. I still feel he shoulda been used more in the finals . He coulda altered some very easy buckets the deers were getting. Considering we lost 3 of the 4 in the final minute every possession counts

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly think if Dario didn't go down when he did we could have rings now, maybe lol.

i do too... maybe. Even with a one armed CP3. The games we lost were all on razor thin margins and Dario was good for one good game a series.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally happy with Tank coming back. I still feel he shoulda been used more in the finals . He coulda altered some very easy buckets the deers were getting. Considering we lost 3 of the 4 in the final minute every possession counts

He had a good game 6. It seems some people focus on games 3, 4, and 5 when judging him. I can understand that to a certain extent but it isn't the full story.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
Kaminskey is not the worst signing for a 3rd string C. He can score a little and stretch the floor at times. But I just keep remembering his lack of toughness during the playoffs, where he couldnt grab a board or block a shot when we needed it. Hope he can improve at least a little in those areas.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Kaminskey is not the worst signing for a 3rd string C. He can score a little and stretch the floor at times. But I just keep remembering his lack of toughness during the playoffs, where he couldnt grab a board or block a shot when we needed it. Hope he can improve at least a little in those areas.

Awesome profile picture!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Monty did no favors for him with the way he was played. It was as sporadic as you can get. Even covering for an injured Dario, he saw wildly fluctuating minutes per game. To expect him to just flip a switch is asking too much of him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dario wasn't the difference. In fact, Dario struggles against the type of athleticism the Bucks had in spades. He wouldn't have been able to keep anybody in front of him. Don't get me wrong he could have helped but his injury is not why we lost 4 straight.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As expected Frank Kaminsky signs for the veteran minimum.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Uh, the problem with Kaminsky is the very distinct possibility that James Jones thinks this completes the roster. I mean, I hope that's not the case... and there is still plenty of time for that assumption to be proven wrong.

But if it does turn out to be the case that Jones either is planning on Saric being back by the playoffs, or that Smith makes a quantum leap forward next season to help fill the 4, or that Kaminsky is actually somehow competent enough to do so... well, we probably can already start reconsidering another shot at a title next year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as Frank Kaminsky is not asked to do something he can't do, he is limited athletically, he is a solid third center.

Echoing others, he is a great locker room presence. I still remember him wearing Deandre Ayton's chain for a post game interview.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty regrets not giving Kaminsky minutes more minutes against the Bucks.

Actually I think there were a lot of games Frank deserved minutes. When given regular minutes he usually produces.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, the problem with Kaminsky is the very distinct possibility that James Jones thinks this completes the roster. I mean, I hope that's not the case... and there is still plenty of time for that assumption to be proven wrong.

But if it does turn out to be the case that Jones either is planning on Saric being back by the playoffs, or that Smith makes a quantum leap forward next season to help fill the 4, or that Kaminsky is actually somehow competent enough to do so... well, we probably can already start reconsidering another shot at a title next year.
It does complete the roster. Whether he's finished or not, we have no idea but we basically have our rotation in place. He might have another player he's trying to get and that would be nice but unless it's a trade, most of our playing time is accounted for.

We were never going to have a huge makeover, we had no real way to make that happen. And honestly I can't think of a player that we might have been able to get that would have made me think a return to the finals was a foregone conclusion.

Assuming decent health, we're in the running, just like we were this past season and just like that season, we're looking at having to get past a few teams that have more talent than we do. Does adding Noel or someone like him take us from can't do it to can't miss? I just don't see it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like last season, I think the Suns will make a late roster addition near the trade deadline or during buyouts. Unless things change, it actually looks like it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A little disappointed we are bringing Frank back. I would have liked Baynes instead. Baynes can block the lane and make anyone who drives on him feel it. He will also retaliate. Frank has not shown a willingness to do that. We could use Baynes' toughness.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course things can change, but as I view the Suns roster at the moment, they should add a veteran power forward if they keep the 15th spot open.

The Suns can always look at adding a point guard later on or on a two-way contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Of course things can change, but as I view the Suns roster at the moment, they should add a veteran power forward if they keep the 15th spot open.

The Suns can always look at adding a point guard on a two-way contract.
On the radio today they said we can use a couple two way contracts. Our Summer League team is stacked with euro talent that could be two way contract type guys. Jaleen Smith just won euro mvp in the German basketball league. Might be interesting at the guard spot.