Bucks @ Suns Thursday Finals game thread 7-8-2021 - Game 2

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Damn this shouldn’t be so difficult…
Have you ever studied your **** off for an exam, and failed? If not, you would be in unfathomably tiny % of humanity that has never experienced this.
Ayton entered the game focused. But he’s in a classroom of PhD’s and he’s a mere undergrad. He can be max-focused and it might still not be anywhere close to being good enough in this setting. So on Sunday, he gets to retake the exam. He will have learned from his shortcomings and he’ll play better…
Is this really that difficult to grasp?
Actually, no. I've never failed an exam I studied my *** off for. I would think if I had, that would mean I had lost focus, since I was prepared. Look, it is what it is. Did you see Monty talking to Ayton? Ayton was playing tentative, unfocused, whatever you want to call it. Ayton needed that talk. It helped re-focus, re-center him, re-assert him, calm him, whatever you want to call it. It's ok to admit it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Certainly didn't look as obviously bad as Saric going down, but I am still concerned about something like a strained MCL or deep bone bruise, either of which could keep him out for the rest of the series.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Actually, no. I've never failed an exam I studied my *** off for. I would think if I had, that would mean I had lost focus, since I was prepared. Look, it is what it is. Did you see Monty talking to Ayton? Ayton was playing tentative, unfocused, whatever you want to call it. Ayton needed that talk. It helped re-focus, re-center him, re-assert him, calm him, whatever you want to call it. It's ok to admit it.
Of course I saw Monty coaching-up a young pup who still needs a coach in his ear.
I think we’re saying the same thing… but in different languages.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the Suns need a point guard behind Payne. Consider it as insurance if you like. Moore and Galloway have not been big contributors.

Javon Carter, anyone?

I do remain mystified as to how Galloway has been kept on the roster despite not being anywhere near getting playing time for the second half of the season plus the playoffs (likely due to poor defense and lack of ball movement), while no effort was made to bring in a big man to contribute off the bench instead.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Javon Carter, anyone?

I do remain mystified as to how Galloway has been kept on the roster despite not being anywhere near getting playing time for the second half of the season plus the playoffs (likely due to poor defense and lack of ball movement), while no effort was made to bring in a big man to contribute off the bench instead.

No one is taking Carter's contract unless it's included in a trade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
His shots don’t even look close either. We need first round Payne back.

He seems to have developed a hitch in his shot. It was particularly noticeable in person on Tuesday.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I will admit it is pretty darn frustrating to see the Suns go into clock killing mode with as many as 4-5 minutes left in the game. But that has not been unique to CP3. Booker has been doing the same thing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is taking Carter's contract unless it's included in a trade.

Don't think that's why he was mentioned, he's another PG option. We're fine in that department, more than fine. I think you are just used to the Suns of the last 4-5 years and want to horde all the PG's you can. I get it. I never want to see a Shaq Harrison or Mike James in a Suns uniform starting again.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Fun game tonight, I'm not going to lie, I was a bit nervous about mid way through the 4th. But right on cue the suns went on a run. This was the first game the wife has watched all year, and she said the suns are really good early and I thought it might be her last game of the year for a while there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Huh? Booker was Booker all game. He made some boneheaded plays early but he shot 12-25 and 7-12 from 3 with 6 assists and 3 turnovers.

I wouldn't say he sucked at any point.
Dude he started out 2-10. That happened.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I suggest you watch the footage of his play this year, including in the G League, other than the meaningless regular season finale in San Antonio.

I wasn't being facetious when I said the Suns would be at least a minus-7 for every minute Stix plays. He is nowhere near ready to contribute so much as a minute in any NBA game that counts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think that's why he was mentioned, he's another PG option. We're fine in that department, more than fine. I think you are just used to the Suns of the last 4-5 years and want to horde all the PG's you can. I get it. I never want to see a Shaq Harrison or Mike James in a Suns uniform starting again.

Moore gets Carter's minutes though. If Carter can't beat out Moore that's not saying a lot. The Suns have too many smalls that can't get playing time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
1.) That I’m making “excuses” for Ayton
2.) That you are bent on holding Ayton to a standard of play that is entirely unrealistic, even in the light of how he’s performed throughout the post season.

Was it a bummer that he got schooled tonight? Of course. But you take the disappointment to the level of disdain… where you clearly lose proper perspective.
Ayton is learning… not high-school or even under-grad learning. He’s been tossed into PhD level learning. He will fail a few exams here and there… I can accept that, especially as he has scored A+’s on the vast majority of the tests he’s been forced to take!
No I don’t. I call him out in the moment due to his actions/inactions in the moment - you know, it’s a game thread. There’s no disdain. It’s called disappointment that he’s not living up to his ability in the moment. And he didn’t for most of the game tonight. Raising his age is making excuses. Don’t know what else to call that.