2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if you could live with your family year round, make a ton of money and play with one of your best friends who’s still a beast and challenge for a title, that might be pretty tempting. Especially if we don’t win it this year.
Yup. I didn’t want to give it credence, but if suns don’t win it all next year, those are a lot of items in the plus column for LA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if you could live with your family year round, make a ton of money and play with one of your best friends who’s still a beast and challenge for a title, that might be pretty tempting. Especially if we don’t win it this year.
Yup. I didn’t want to give it credence, but if suns don’t win it all next year, those are a lot of items in the plus column for LA.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you were CP3 would you trade this roster of young thoroughbreds for that roster of aging broken dow vets?

the Suns will pay him the money, and taxes are cheaper here.

Honestly, I think it all depends on how important it is for him to spend year round time with his family, because basketball wise, yes I think the Suns are a better situation for him.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
We know he loves it here. It comes down to how important that one hour flight is during the season to him and his family.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think y’all are underestimating the allure of playing with one of his best friends, Lebron. Remember Paul was in outside looking in whilst banana boat buddies Lebron, wade, and giraffe neck guy (can’t believe I’ve forgotten his name temporarily) got to win championships together. So LA would be a chance to play with one of his buddies who is still one of the top 3 players in the league and perhaps another top 5 player in Davis while getting the same $$$.

I’m not saying I think he would definitely choose LA over phx. But I’m saying there’s enough pluses there to worry me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shocked to see Paul playing.

interesting thing is it’s so guard heavy. Not a lot of bigs.

I'm surprised to see Chris Paul play at his age as well, especially since he might out of his contract for more money.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think y’all are underestimating the allure of playing with one of his best friends, Lebron. Remember Paul was in outside looking in whilst banana boat buddies Lebron, wade, and giraffe neck guy (can’t believe I’ve forgotten his name temporarily) got to win championships together. So LA would be a chance to play with one of his buddies who is still one of the top 3 players in the league and perhaps another top 5 player in Davis while getting the same $$$.

I’m not saying I think he would definitely choose LA over phx. But I’m saying there’s enough pluses there to worry me.

Well it wouldn't be catastrophic to me, because I feel like signing him to a high dollar 3 year contract will not look like a very good idea in 2 years. My issue if he leaves is who the heck can we get to replace him and not drop off too much. Don't think that person is out there - unless somehow someway we could get Dame alongside Book and Ayton.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol I'm not a salary cap expert, but it looks to me like they'd literally have to get rid of their entire roster besides LBJ and AD.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/cap/2022/

Which they would do. They would be fine signing vet mins to go with those 3.

Lets face it that is the performance they got out of their role players anyway.

They just have to dump Kuzma somehow - a future first and I am sure OKC would eat him.

EDIT: Well actually they would have to dump Calwell Pope too. Considering all the picks they already gave up for AD - perhaps they can't get the cap room unless Chris agrees to play on the cheap. If that is the case, the Suns chances of retaining him look much better.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well it wouldn't be catastrophic to me, because I feel like signing him to a high dollar 3 year contract will not look like a very good idea in 2 years. My issue if he leaves is who the heck can we get to replace him and not drop off too much. Don't think that person is out there - unless somehow someway we could get Dame alongside Book and Ayton.
I get it. And yeah Dame, book, Ayton would look awful enticing.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Kendrick Perkins is suggesting a trade of DRussell and change to Philly for Ben Simmons. That is actually a brilliant idea. Simmons moves to PF and becomes a point forward.

Rubio-PG
Edwards--SG
Simmons--PF
Towns--C

All Minny needs is a 3 and D sf. Someone like a Craig/Bridges/CJohnson.

That becomes a potent line up.

DRuss would work in Philly too.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bosh?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So Kendrick Perkins is suggesting a trade of DRussell and change to Philly for Ben Simmons. That is actually a brilliant idea. Simmons moves to PF and becomes a point forward.

Rubio-PG
Edwards--SG
Simmons--PF
Towns--C

All Minny needs is a 3 and D sf. Someone like a Craig/Bridges/CJohnson.

That becomes a potent line up.

DRuss would work in Philly too.
Rubio, edwards, Simmons is a lot of non shooters.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tim MacMahon
⁦‪@espn_macmahon‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

The Mavericks will not seek any compensation from a team that hires Rick Carlisle despite the coach resigning with two years remaining on his contract, sources told ESPN. Mark Cuban does not want to complicate Carlisle’s quest for a new opportunity.

6/22/21, 5:27 PM

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Which they would do. They would be fine signing vet mins to go with those 3.

Lets face it that is the performance they got out of their role players anyway.

They just have to dump Kuzma somehow - a future first and I am sure OKC would eat him.

EDIT: Well actually they would have to dump Calwell Pope too. Considering all the picks they already gave up for AD - perhaps they can't get the cap room unless Chris agrees to play on the cheap. If that is the case, the Suns chances of retaining him look much better.

I don't think they have a first round pick to trade until 2027.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lakersnation.com/lakers-future-first-and-second-round-draft-picks/?amp

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pistons won the draft lottery today and will get the #1 pick. The Rockets get #2, Cavaliers get #3, Raptors at #4, and Magic at #5.

The Suns will draft 29th overall. :)

ESPN.com/nba/story/_/id/31689269/nba-draft-lottery-2021-social-media-reacts-detroit-pistons-land-no-1-overall-pick

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pistons won the draft lottery today and will get the #1 pick. The Rockets get #2, Cavaliers get #3, Raptors at #4, and Magic at #5.

The Suns will draft 29th overall. :)

ESPN.com/nba/story/_/id/31689269/nba-draft-lottery-2021-social-media-reacts-detroit-pistons-land-no-1-overall-pick

that’s a good spot for the Raptors to come back a little quicker after a long playoff run and title a couple years ago. Being able to build around Van Fleet, Siakam, Gary Trent Jr. and Anunoby and the 4th pick in a good draft can set them up for a short fall from grace.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good time to have another coveted point guard on the market with Cam Payne being a free agent.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Nets free agent Spencer Dinwiddie has been fully cleared for all basketball activities, his operating surgeon Dr. Riley Williams says. Dinwiddie recovered from a partial ACL tear in just over five months. He enters free agency as one of the top point guards on the market.

3:14 PM · Jun 22, 2021·Echofon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So apparently Magic said Lakers should go after Chris Paul.

Since LA is his home, and he is friends with Lebron, this could legit happen if they can fit him in cap wise - which I think they can.

Magic thinks everyone should be a Laker