Progress? VJ: "we want more"!

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After Substantial Progress, Cardinals' Defense Wants More
Defensive coordinator Vance Joseph proved accurate in promising improvement
In 2019, Vance Joseph had to grin and bear it.

On a near-weekly basis, the Cardinals' defensive coordinator was pelted with questions about miscues during his Thursday press conference with reporters.

It was a year to forget, as the defense ended up allowing the most yards (402 per game) and the 28th-most points (27.6 per game) in the NFL in his first season in charge.

"It takes courage to live through this," Joseph said after a particularly rough outing that December against the Rams. "It's hard times. We're going to get it fixed, and once it's fixed, no one remembers these times. But right now, it's tough. If you're not strong-willed and you don't have courage, you can't fix it.

After Substantial Progress, Cardinals’ Defense Wants More (azcardinals.com)

Reaction score
I read a report today that they were 9th in passing yardage dvoa whatever the hell that means. I took it as something positive. ;)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
VJ’s first year was terrible. Last year, considering the injuries we had, I was impressed with the defensive growth. Our line was decimated so stopping the run was impossible at times and our secondary talent was below par. VJ did a great job of manufacturing a pass rush, especially without Chandler Jones. If the defense can stay healthy this year, I am expecting a very good unit.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
The mismanagement of Simmons last year bothered me a ton but I thought the defense overperformed. We had so many injuries last year - Jalen, Buddha, Chandler, Lawrence, Peters, Allen, Kirkpatrick, Murphy, and Phillips all missed time last year.

That being said, the defense seemed to not show up in big spots and I think tended to beat up on worse offenses. Definitely looking for another step forward this year with how the personnel has been improved.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The mismanagement of Simmons last year bothered me a ton but I thought the defense overperformed. We had so many injuries last year - Jalen, Buddha, Chandler, Lawrence, Peters, Allen, Kirkpatrick, Murphy, and Phillips all missed time last year.

That being said, the defense seemed to not show up in big spots and I think tended to beat up on worse offenses. Definitely looking for another step forward this year with how the personnel has been improved.

your star players are the ones who are supposed to step up in big moments.... ours spent a lot of time in the tub last season.
VJ has improved the defense every year he has been here... he gets tons of flack but he has done a decent job so far... if that trend continues we should have a solid unit this season with everyone back

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose