2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also, notwithstanding his many faults, McDonough drafted Booker, Ayton, and Bridges. Perhaps not optimal drafting, but damn near.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team USA is looking good.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing in the most decorated player in the history of your organization is a “red flag.” Okay. I just think you’re out to attack luka.

Yes because Dirk is known for his prowess in coaching searches. LOL. How many times do I have to say I hope it's an isolated incident? Yes, I felt how Luka did it was wrong but you are only reading what you want not what I actually said.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, notwithstanding his many faults, McDonough drafted Booker, Ayton, and Bridges. Perhaps not optimal drafting, but damn near.

Missing on Bender, Chriss and Jackson really set the franchise back in addition to going years without an NBA point guard.

I think the trade for Mikal Bridges was Sarver's move and Ayton was the consensus #1 pick. Ryan McDonough was discharged not that long after the 2018 draft.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He also drafted Bender, Jackson and Chriss. So don't go pinning a medal on him.

I was just typing those 3 names and had to step away. Came back.. hit refresh and saw this lol.

we screwed up big time with those 3.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Missing on Bender, Chriss and Jackson really set the franchise back in addition to going years without an NBA point guard.

I think the trade for Mikal Bridges was Sarver's move and Ayton was the consensus #1 pick. Ryan McDonough was discharged not that long after the 2018 draft.
Honestly. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I think finding savvy older PGs through FA that can bring a calming presence and move the ball effectively is the answer. Build depth and size/athletes through the draft and find one or two serviceable vet PGs that can get everyone involved. Easier said than done obviously...but we've also shown it can work for this org.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I think finding savvy older PGs through FA that can bring a calming presence and move the ball effectively is the answer. Build depth and size/athletes through the draft and find one or two serviceable vet PGs that can get everyone involved. Easier said than done obviously...but we've also shown it can work for this org.

If the Suns can keep their core players, this is exactly where they are at.

Drafting wisely is a way to add cheap talent.

Also key free agent additions like Jae Crowder, Torrey Craig and Cam Payne have really helped the team.

I can't say enough good things about the trade for Chris Paul.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns can keep their core players, this is exactly where they are at.

Drafting wisely is a way to add cheap talent.

Also key free agent additions like Jae Crowder, Torrey Craig and Cam Payne have really helped the team.

I can't say enough good things about the trade for Chris Paul.
Yeah.. I think the numbers would show percentage wise it's just not an easy thing to do trying to hit on your pgotf through the draft. PG is just one of those positions where "time" is needed in the NBA to develop IMO. At least an effective one that knows the true meaning of being a PG. Even though Luka is a star.. having the savvy Paul as an amazing distributor is the best gift a PG can give you.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Dallas’ second best player is Tim Hardaway and he’d be our 7-8th guy in the rotation. Think about that. Donnie Jr has done a really poor job. They probably should’ve kept Curry instead of trading for Josh Richardson. They were banking on this coming summer for FA’s but Giannis re-signed and Kawhi is a Cali guy.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mitchell is gt decision. Conley is going to play.

might as well prepare for the clippers on Sunday.

I might as well guarantee a clippers win tonight.;)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dallas’ second best player is Tim Hardaway and he’d be our 7-8th guy in the rotation. Think about that. Donnie Jr has done a really poor job. They probably should’ve kept Curry instead of trading for Josh Richardson. They were banking on this coming summer for FA’s but Giannis re-signed and Kawhi is a Cali guy.
Other than luka and a few others, a lot of Dallas’ personnel moves have backfired since 2011. They have had a lot of solid players come through Dallas. But the most important thing is that they have Luka. Which is why I think mark Cuban is keen on making changes now. I agree about keeping curry. The word from the mavs was that Richardson was sought out for Carlisle to give him the type of defender that he needed to fit his system. Rick hardly turned to Richardson in the clippers series as much as he would of turned to curry if that were an option. A lot of media in Dallas are questioning now whether or not Carlisle is a coach that players want to play for. he has butted heads with many of his players over the years due to his harsh style. This was an issue with J-Kidd and deandre Jordan at times. rondo basically stopped talking to Rick while he was in Dallas and can be seen yelling at Rick during a game asking something along the lines of why am I here? Of corse I think it was J crowder and draft picks that they sacrificed for rondo.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He also drafted Bender, Jackson and Chriss. So don't go pinning a medal on him.

No GM hits on every lotto pick (50% is a pretty good hit rate), but almost none draft three franchise cornerstones.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Obviously fans are unforgiving and expect a GM to draft the best available player every draft.

The lack of rationality is why they’re fans. Embrace it, guys.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It did to all of us. Obviously the Knicks thought differently and many other teams too.

I thought it was a huge gamble at the time. His body, his injuries, his me only attitude plus his brother made for far too risky of a proposition. I understood why Cuban took that risk but I'd have been miserable if we had. Phil Jackson wanted to move away from him for very good reasons, reasons Cuban and others apparently overlooked.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitchell is gt decision. Conley is going to play.

might as well prepare for the clippers on Sunday.

I might as well guarantee a clippers win tonight.;)

Me and the cat can't decide what we want.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I see what you are saying, but it just isn't accurate. I follow Dallas closely, and it is no secret that the players were on Rick's side (against the one who shall not be named). Luka doing what he did was simply the leader telling the coach to fight for control. Rumors have circulated for a year now that Rick was reduced to being told who to play and how many minutes to play them.
I think most of the mavs problems are that they have improved a lot in a short time. They almost upset a better team in the first round and a lot of people are freaking out because they blew a series lead. The expectations have soared for this team. other teams with young stars are winning while Dallas is already out and that has people over analyzing.

The journalists close to the team have said that Rick was given a lot of analytics data on who he should play in what situations etc. and Rick used that data to make decisions. Of corse that is what Cuban is saying as well. Of corse Nelson probably doesn’t like the analytics guy overseeing his department.

But I look at the playoffs and Carlisle did some interesting things like putting Luka on the bench while he was on a hot scoring streak. That seems to be like analytics based decision. Yet he over played boban in the post and basically used KP as a decoy. If that was coming from the analytics department then I’m interested to know what analytics they are looking at. And maybe that is a possibility that the analytics guy isn’t doing his job or carlise tore up the analytics papers in the playoffs. Carlisle did similar things in the past like using JJ barea more in the playoffs than what he ever did in the regular season. And that worked offensively, but hurt defensively. Carlisle will turn away from players in strange situations. He basically ignored Brunson these playoffs as soon as Brunson made mistakes. I think Rick is a smart coach and very headstrong. He is going to do what he wants in the moment regardless.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous the foul calls Trae Young gets. I know the whole NBA is messed up in this regard. I feel the same way about the foul calls James Harden gets.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but that seems like a lot for Horford who’s way older now.

it’s not like there saving a ton of money either cause Horford has a big deal himself

I get Kemba has been dealing with injuries but to give up and the 16th pick just doesn’t seem right.

And the Celtics let Horford walk because that contract he got offered by the Sixers, at the time, was too rich for them. To take it back on 2 years later and giving up your starting PG and a 1st rounder for it is a real overpay.

If they had some patience they probably could have dumped Kenya on New York without taking on much, if any, salary in return.

Bad move.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes because Dirk is known for his prowess in coaching searches. LOL. How many times do I have to say I hope it's an isolated incident? Yes, I felt how Luka did it was wrong but you are only reading what you want not what I actually said.
Okay projection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose