Kyler utilizing the middle of the field

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
My only real gripe with Murray coming out of college was how he often did not utilize the middle of the field with most of his passes. I do not think this is a vision thing with his height but a physical thing with his height. I remember hearing Kurt Warner state that the pocket being only a few yards from the line makes it difficult for any QB to have complete vision, be it you are 5'10 or 6'4 being so close to the line of scrimmage, but it might just be that Kyler's height makes the trajectory of his release too low to get it there. Maybe as one poster stated he needs to improve on finding his throwing lanes as Drew Brees who is also a short QB (but how does one rely on throwing lanes when you have a hot read reacting to a blitz when there is not enough time for them to make themselves known?). Just a thought and was wondering what those here which might know more think about this. Just hope this is not a physical problem due to height as I think Stout alluded to

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Getting the ball out in rhythm is a big adjustment for players whose previous experience has been throwing to the open man. There is a lot of congestion in the middle of the field as compared to the outside where it's a cornerback and maybe a safety over the top.

Year three is normally when things begin to click for young quarterbacks.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At first glance I thought the title was
"Kyler murray utilizing the middle finger"

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If Murray has difficulties seeing the middle of the field due to his height and he tends to sail the ball a bit high on throws to the middle of the field how in the heck is he ever going to find 5'-7" Moore (who is slated to play the slot which is the primary WR position to run routes in the middle of the field) over the middle?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Murray has difficulties seeing the middle of the field due to his height and he tends to sail the ball a bit high on throws to the middle of the field how in the heck is he ever going to find 5'-7" Moore (who is slated to play the slot which is the primary WR position to run routes in the middle of the field) over the middle?
Thats my concern...

Isabella has his issues, but part of it was Kyler just didnt see him or trust a guy with short arms.

Maybe Hudson makes life easier though.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Moore gonna catch 80% of his balls behind the LOS...

You don't have to throw over the line if you throw behind the line.

You must be registered for see images attach

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thats my concern...

Isabella has his issues, but part of it was Kyler just didnt see him or trust a guy with short arms.

So Murray with his height struggled to see the short Isabella down the field, but how Murray could see the short demerious Byrd down the field?
Didn't have any problems to see Hollywood brown too
Each of them are 5'9 guys with short arms
Its funny how someone is trying to put the blame on Murray for Isabella lack of production

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thats my concern...

You lose trust when you hit Isabella over the middle and he drops routine catches.

Isabella is not a Kyler problem.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So Murray with his height struggled to see the short Isabella down the field, but how Murray could see the short demerious Byrd down the field?
Didn't have any problems to see Hollywood brown too
Each of them are 5'9 guys with short arms
Its funny how someone is trying to put the blame on Murray for Isabella lack of production
Key difference. Kyler had a little more trust in Byrd because he has longer arms/caught the ball with his hands. Byrd played on the outside (from what I remember) Isabella was in the slot.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You lose trust when you hit Isabella over the middle and he drops routine catches.

Isabella is not a Kyler problem.
Think of te passing attack as a multi-facteted "passng machine" that includes passer, receivers blockers and fakers - all meshing together to create a potent attack.

Whatever the reasons - Isabella's short arms, too many OL penalties etc etc. - if it ain't working, it ain't working, and changes need to be made (just hope that the remedy isn't worse than the problem). Slotting Moore in there in place of Isabella seems like a logical move, but I still sense some value in a healthy Isabella (If there's room on the roster, I'd hope we keep him. Plus - Heed the curse of the Cardinals - As soon as we cut him, the injury bug will decimate the entire WR room).

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Key difference. Kyler had a little more trust in Byrd because he has longer arms/caught the ball with his hands. Byrd played on the outside (from what I remember) Isabella was in the slot.

Byrd played screen, slot and also downfield in the middle
I don't remember him playing outside, maybe cutting the middle of the field and then running on the outside

Longer arms?
Isabella 29 3/4
Byrd 29 7/8

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Byrd played screen, slot and also downfield in the middle
I don't remember him playing outside

Longer arms?
Isabella 29 3/4
Byrd 29 7/8
You got me there. I guess the fact he seemed to really extend his arms to make catches/unlike Isabella made me think his arms were longer.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You got me there. I guess the fact he seemed to really extend his arms to make catches/unlike Isabella made me think his arms were longer.

Yes, I can understand u thought
it, he doesn't extend his arms, waiting the ball come in his hands and then using the chest... but this one is just one of his many flaws
Not nfl material at this point, funny how an offensive genius like KK couldn't note it, he was s fired up to get him, probably just watched his highlights

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Yes, I can understand u thought
it, he doesn't extend his arms, waiting the ball come in his hands and then using the chest... but this one is just one of his many flaws
Not nfl material at this point, funny how an offensive genius like KK couldn't note it, he was s fired up to get him, probably just watched his highlights
KK thought he could fix him. Coach the bad out of him. Hopefully he's learned his lesson.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hopefully more of this
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looks at the massive, gaping 5 yard hole he needed on the left of the line to throw it though. Can he throw that pass over the heads of the line if that hole isn't there? I'm not sure he can. I'm pretty sure that play was designed to create that hole so he could make that pass.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks at the massive, gaping 5 yard hole he needed on the left of the line to throw it though. Can he throw that pass over the heads of the line if that hole isn't there? I'm not sure he can. I'm pretty sure that play was designed to create that hole so he could make that pass.

You don't know that he needed a 5 yard gap to complete that pass. Come on...

My guess is that he completed it because it was his first read.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't know that he needed a 5 yard gap to complete that pass. Come on...

My guess is that he completed it because it was his first read.

I'm not sure how he fires it into that window at that speed and trajectory without the big gap in the O line.