2021 NBA Draft Prospects Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane Rankin of the Arizona Republic discusses players who might be available to the Suns according to mock drafts.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the response of the fans so far in the playoffs is another big draw. Lots of players and media noting how loud and supportive the fans are and how great the experience is.

It's weird to think that Arizona's status as a covid-denying state may actually be helping the Suns in this way.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some FA targets for BAE, if we don’t use MLE:

-Daniel Theis
-Kevon Looney
-Nerlens Noel
-Dwight Howard
-Gorgui Dieng

Put them in order I would prefer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's weird to think that Arizona's status as a covid-denying state may actually be helping the Suns in this way.
We are not a covid denying state. We had all kinds of restrictions for a long time. We only dropped them when the cases were way, way down.

We also did fantastic in facilitating vaccinations for the most vulnerable in our population quickly. It was a beautiful thing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading ESPN's offseason plan pieces for each team and I believe the Suns will be able to resign Cam Payne without touching their MLE. Because they have early bird rights they can resign him to a new deal that is 175% of his previous annual salary or offer him the average player salary, which is $11 million annually.

I'm basing this off what they mention as options for other teams free agents and that's something brought up with other players where their teams hold early bird rights and are over the cap.

I hope that's the case. Not that I believe Sarver will spend big this offseason but retaining Cam Payne while having the ability to add another player or two who makes more than the league minimum should make us even deeper going forward.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We are not a covid denying state. We had all kinds of restrictions for a long time. We only dropped them when the cases were way, way down.

We also did fantastic in facilitating vaccinations for the most vulnerable in our population quickly. It was a beautiful thing.
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but at one point we had the most covid cases and deaths in the world. It did seem our politicians did not put enough restrictions in place at the beginning to protect our population. One can speculate that was done in denial, making us a covid denying state.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So back to the question at hand, I am not a big college ball watcher. Any PF or PG possibilities, maybe a big C as a back up that would be in our range in the draft? I am thinking James Jones may be trading our picks this year?

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've been reading ESPN's offseason plan pieces for each team and I believe the Suns will be able to resign Cam Payne without touching their MLE. Because they have early bird rights they can resign him to a new deal that is 175% of his previous annual salary or offer him the average player salary, which is $11 million annually.

I'm basing this off what they mention as options for other teams free agents and that's something brought up with other players where their teams hold early bird rights and are over the cap.

I hope that's the case. Not that I believe Sarver will spend big this offseason but retaining Cam Payne while having the ability to add another player or two who makes more than the league minimum should make us even deeper going forward.

Can you please link this if it's not insider? Copy and paste suns part if it is?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you please link this if it's not insider? Copy and paste suns part if it is?

Its Insider. For each team with a free agent where they have early bird rights it will mention how they can resign them for up to the league average salary, which is $11 million, without using exceptions or cap space.

Ill have to try and find more on it elsewhere.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's this, which seems applicable.

The crucial difference between Bird rights and Early Bird rights involves the limitations on contract offers. Bird players can receive maximum-salary deals for up to five years, while the most a team can offer an Early Bird free agent without using cap space is 175% of his previous salary or 105% of the league-average salary in the previous season, whichever is greater. These offers are also capped at four years rather than five, and the new contracts must run for at least two years (with no second-year options).

Hoopsrumors.com/2019/03/hoops-rumors-glossary-early-bird-rights-3.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So back to the question at hand, I am not a big college ball watcher. Any PF or PG possibilities, maybe a big C as a back up that would be in our range in the draft? I am thinking James Jones may be trading our picks this year?

The Suns only have one draft pick in this draft, number 29. No second round pick.

Combo guard Ayo Dosunmu is an interesting possibility.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns only have one draft pick in this draft, number 29. No second round pick.

I see he looks like he would fit our offense. However, there's no mention of his defense. It seems we now have somewhat of a read on James Jones. He want's guys that can play defense, ball handle to extent, and be able shooters and scorers within the .5 system. I think this kid definitely has the offense.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We need a PG or PF so of course we will end up with a shooting guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see he looks like he would fit our offense. However, there's no mention of his defense. It seems we now have somewhat of a read on James Jones. He want's guys that can play defense, ball handle to extent, and be able shooters and scorers within the .5 system. I think this kid definitely has the offense.

Monty has players buying into playing defense.

Maybe we can teach him to play defense but I haven't done much research on the upcoming draft which is a welcome change of pace from prior seasons.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Good size, nice stats, learning from the legend and point God(if he stays :p).
He looks really good on paper for that high in the draft.
Need to find some videos on him.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For sure he would fit our offense. But could he RUN our offense.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
For sure he would fit our offense. But could he RUN our offense.
No telling. I would be OK with Cam Payne off the bench running the offense, with this kid playing in Books place at the two. I just don't know if he can play the defense. I like when The Bull Dog and Payne play together off the bench because they get on opposing guards and usually get some steals, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose