Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lol

Our all time Arizona (in AZ only) Cardinals offensive line is probably

LT - Luis Sharpe
LG - Mike Wells
C - Lyle Sendlein
RG - Leonard Davis (Only played 1 season at RG but easily the best)
RT - Anthony Clement

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I know throughout the 90s, most of the Cardinals offensive linemen were bad, or would put together one good season and then suck the rest of their career.

Best LT in Arizona era will likely soon go to DJ and that's only because I think he has staying power. Iupati was probably the best LG. Center has been a dumpster fire forever. RG? hmmm. RT? Probably Massie.

I liked Shelton more than most, but he isn't as good as Humphries.
If DJ stays healthy this year and plays at a similar level to last year, he will be getting a monster contract at over 20 mil per year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Leonard Davis is still underrated as an LT here. I believe he was a Pro Bowl alternate one season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Leonard Davis is still underrated as an LT here. I believe he was a Pro Bowl alternate one season.
So, you would likely put him at #2 LT behind Sharpe and ahead of Humphries at this point?

1 - Luis Sharpe
2 - Leonard Davis
3 - DJ Humphries
4 - LJ Shelton?
5 - Lomas Brown/Jared Veldheer/Mike Gandy (all about three seasons and Veldheer and Gandy were the LTs during our most successful time as a franchise in AZ)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
So, you would likely put him at #2 LT behind Sharpe and ahead of Humphries at this point?

1 - Luis Sharpe
2 - Leonard Davis
3 - DJ Humphries
4 - LJ Shelton?
5 - Lomas Brown/Jared Veldheer/Mike Gandy (all about three seasons and Veldheer and Gandy were the LTs during our most successful time as a franchise in AZ)
if DJ shows in 2021 that 2020 was real, then he is a clear #2 gunning for #1.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

1 - Luis Sharpe
2 - Leonard Davis
3 - DJ Humphries
4 - LJ Shelton?

My eyes tell me Humphries is better than Davis was at LT.

I hated when the team moved on from Shelton...

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
A question for Harry. Do you think that Arizona will finish 8-8 or better?
I used that number a few times myself. It’s tough to think we’re now using odd numbers.

It’s a little early to project. I expect a TE & maybe a CB that could impact the number. Also injuries are always a concern. However, to avoid be accused of ducking the question, if the season started Sunday I’d say 9-8. The Tennessee game now looks much tougher as defending the pass will be a major concern. This season’s success will rest heavily on team health and Murray’s growth. A more polished Murray could add a game or two to the win total. In the end better in-game decision making by Kingsbury will have to happen. Last year he struck me as all over the place. One moment he was aggressive, the next overly conservative. He needs to be consistently bold this year. If his offense isn’t explosive with this talent infusion, it doesn’t play in the NFL.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess I must be the only one on the Board who thinks a game might be cancelled because of a Covid outbreak. And that's a good thing.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Last year he struck me as all over the place. One moment he was aggressive, the next overly conservative. He needs to be consistently bold this year.

this is the most concise criticism of KKs shortcomings

in the flow of a game, he was aggressive

but late in the fourth -- i thought he played it safe a couple times only to have Zane let him down.

pick a lane Kliff and go with it --

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not so sure our problems stem from the calling or execution of any single play because I suspect that - more than most offenses - Kingsbury's plays are designed to contain several options.

The problem has more to do with Kyler either choosing the wrong option or executing that option poorly.

As other teams adjusted to what Kyler was doing earlier in the season, the worse Kyler looked as the season wore on.

Possible answers - (1) newer/better play-options, (2) better execution of those options, (3) better selection of available options from play to play.

Bottom line - It's not that Kingsbury's play calling is "stupid", "in a rut", etc. It has more to do with split-second decisions on the field.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, remember in passing plays, execution depends upon BOTH the QB and the WR. Though it's usually the QB that gets the credit and the blame.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost never dream about sports, but last night I had a dream Kyler hit Rondale about 15 yards downfield he beat his defender and housed it from about 60. Different kind of player but we had that ability with Mel Gray way back when and we had it with Roy Green. We really haven't had that much of that since then. Anquan was great after the catch but didn't have the speed to take it all the way.

Waddle would have been amazing but Rondale is going to be a key part of this offense with his ability to get YAC IMO. I think the idea of the short passes is get the defenders to come up and then go over the top. We just haven't had that much success at it so the short passes get stopped quickly and the deep passes other than Kirk weren't very good. D Hop had a some nice deep balls last year.

The hope is AJ Green is closer to 2018 than 2020 in terms of performance because he was that type of guy who would punish you for playing too close to the LOS over the top.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Chopper0080

Please find room somewhere for Deuce Lutui, if for no other reason than I always liked the guy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
lol

Our all time Arizona (in AZ only) Cardinals offensive line is probably

LT - Luis Sharpe
LG - Mike Wells
C - Lyle Sendlein
RG - Leonard Davis (Only played 1 season at RG but easily the best)
RT - Anthony Clement
Reggie Wells was pretty good.... and wasn’t Grutadaria a pro bowl center at one point? Not for us.... Jets was it? I don’t think he was with us very long

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1 - Luis Sharpe
2 - Leonard Davis
3 - DJ Humphries
4 - LJ Shelton?
What about Dan Dierdorf and Ernie McMillan?