CP3 Rumored Trade

Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm convinced Robert Sarver will do everything he can to keep the Suns core players together.

If need be, the Suns can give Chris Paul extra seasons and spread out the money.
Chris Paul will try to keep this core together too. He loves this team. You can see it .

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I've taken a lot of heat for saying that the jury is still out on this trade. So here's a number: three playoff series wins between this year and next. That means that the Suns finish off Denver and either make this year's Finals or get out of the first round next year. If they do that, the trade is a success in my eyes. If not, I still think it's an open question.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken a lot of heat for saying that the jury is still out on this trade. So here's a number: three playoff series wins between this year and next. That means that the Suns finish off Denver and either make this year's Finals or get out of the first round next year. If they do that, the trade is a success in my eyes. If not, I still think it's an open question.

Perhaps in the technical sense but Suns fans have been starving for this for 11 years.

IMO, if the Suns make the Western Conference Finals it has to be declared a success. I want so much more though.

Also Chris Paul has elevated the growth of Bridges, Ayton and Booker. This has to be considered as well. He has taught them how to win.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some different ways to look at it Charles.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The trade is a success this year, and that should pay dividend going forward. It’s still possible that a new contract will look too expensive later depending on circumstances and results. But this off-season I want the Suns focus to be in keeping CP.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are some different ways to look at it Charles.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah, my guess is if Paul opts out it will be for something like 3/$100mil with the last year either a team option or partially guaranteed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Perhaps in the technical sense but Suns fans have been starving for this for 11 years.

IMO, if the Suns make the Western Conference Finals it has to be declared a success. I want so much more though.

Also Chris Paul has elevated the growth of Bridges, Ayton and Booker. This has to be considered as well. He has taught them how to win.
This is a great point. They may have all gotten to where they are now on their own, but it’s difficult to deny Paul’s fingerprints in not just them, but the two cams as well. Crowder has an influence there too imo.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Indeed - the Suns went from complete national irrelevance in the NBA to the talk of the NBA. People are remembering what a great basketball town that Phoenix is, and there is no doubt this season has had an impact on the image of the franchise.

Barring a complete collapse in the Denver series, this year has been an incredible success.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider: Giving up Oubre and getting an old Chris Paul in return makes a team already severely lacking in speed and athleticism that much slower and less athletic. It would put a premium on speed and athleticism in the draft and free agency, lest we get run out of the gym.

I hate to kick a man when he is down, but re-reading some of this thread from the start, and this really popped out.

Has anyone ever been so wrong?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would Miami have won a series against any of the top four teams in the West? As for the Nuggets, yes, there's a huge gap between them and the Suns. Jokic is miles ahead of Ayton, Murray has the edge on Booker, and you can continue from there.

I like Paul's game a lot, but the notion that adding him would transform the lottery Suns into a title contender is lunacy.

Also, where do you get $18 million in cap space? The trade would add $7.5 million to the Suns' payroll.

Paul is one more serious injury away from retirement. Yes, I agree that if the goal is only to win as many games as possible over the next two seasons, Paul is a better bet than Oubre, but that's a very narrow way of looking at it.

More "marginal" value? Oubre will have much greater value than Paul 3-5 years from now. Paul's value then will be zero.

You must think Booker is pretty stupid if you expect him to be appeased by a couple of short-sighted first-round exits at the expense of the team's long-term development.

8-0 is great no matter how you slice it, but how many of the Suns' bubble opponents had something to play for? It wasn't real NBA-caliber competition.

Love this post as well.

Good reminder that we are all a bunch of amateur keyboard warriors ;)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love this post as well.

Good reminder that we are all a bunch of amateur keyboard warriors ;)
Eric's post is amazing in its specificity. The comment about being turned into a title contender. I am sure he felt safe in saying it in that extreme, and none of us would have argued for the Suns being a title contender this year. In that sense, we ALL were gloriously wrong.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric's post is amazing in its specificity. The comment about being turned into a title contender. I am sure he felt safe in saying it in that extreme, and none of us would have argued for the Suns being a title contender this year. In that sense, we ALL were gloriously wrong.

Indeed. Most of us thought just making the playoffs was the goal.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’m happy to eat a full plate of crow on this. I was dubious of this trade from the beginning and wanted the team to pursue a young PF instead. Happy to see I was wrong.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lmfao yea ummmm i think paul over rubio what was rubio team record this yr? Lol well it is the wolves they always suck

Man such a job saving epic signing with paul looking like young paul now those dagger back to back 3s were unreal last night

Hope paul stays 2 3 more yrs !!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my guess is if Paul opts out it will be for something like 3/$100mil with the last year either a team option or partially guaranteed.

I suspect Paul would push for the third year being a player option. This will be a point of negotiation if he opts out.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

How many playoff series this year and next do we win with Rubio/Oubre in Paul’s place? Do we even have Crowder and/or Craig if we stand pat with Rubio/Oubre?

I think the answer is one series max, and it’s next year.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

hang on a sec...

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wrong on all counts.

Firstly, the Suns’ ceiling with Chris Paul + whoever they can get with 18mm cap space + MLE is very much a team that could compete for a title. Miami and Denver were on the cusp of winning a title this year: are they really that far from the Suns’ with Paul/Jerami Grant/Augustin?

Secondly, the question isn’t whether Oubre has value (he does, marginally); it’s whether he has anything close to the value of Paul over the next two seasons. He doesn’t. Anyone who thinks so is just wrong. 30 GMs would agree with Paul’s surplus value being higher (even substantially higher) than Oubre. Who cares if Oubre has more marginal value 3-5 years from now? By that time Booker may have grown too disenchanted to want to stay.

Thirdly, how can you say that playoff experience prevents the team from growing? The bubble was the closest thing to playoffs this team has seen, and, without Oubre, I saw them grow quite a bit!

takes a bow

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Would Miami have won a series against any of the top four teams in the West? As for the Nuggets, yes, there's a huge gap between them and the Suns. Jokic is miles ahead of Ayton, Murray has the edge on Booker, and you can continue from there.

I like Paul's game a lot, but the notion that adding him would transform the lottery Suns into a title contender is lunacy.

Also, where do you get $18 million in cap space? The trade would add $7.5 million to the Suns' payroll.

Paul is one more serious injury away from retirement. Yes, I agree that if the goal is only to win as many games as possible over the next two seasons, Paul is a better bet than Oubre, but that's a very narrow way of looking at it.

More "marginal" value? Oubre will have much greater value than Paul 3-5 years from now. Paul's value then will be zero.

You must think Booker is pretty stupid if you expect him to be appeased by a couple of short-sighted first-round exits at the expense of the team's long-term development.

8-0 is great no matter how you slice it, but how many of the Suns' bubble opponents had something to play for? It wasn't real NBA-caliber competition.

Nuggets lose in 5 with Murray.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has CP3 ever said he does not like it here in Arizona? I would think he sees the Suns are a young team and can go to the finals the next 2-3 years.