JJ Watt Production

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hang on. Not all us Darksiders are down on the Watt signing. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Yeah, I’m in stouts camp. As an individual signing I’m onboard the watt signing and hoping he stays healthy.

as a part of the aggregate of signings it’s a part of a lot of old oft-injured guys.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I fine with all the FA signings this year. I don't really get the Brian Winters signing, he's a JAG and we have similar guys already. But otherwise I'm good.

Age doesn't concern me in the slightest. I care if they can play and if they can stay healthy like any other player.

There has been much complaining about age but I don't recall much complaining about all the 30+ Keim time signings during the BA years. Chris Johnson, Red Bryant, Dwight Freeney, Cory Redding, Frostee Rucker, Lamar Woodley, Tyvon Branch, Adrian Peterson, resigning Dansby, Tramon Williams, Antoine Bethea, Larry Foote, John Abraham, Lorenzo Alexander, Antonio Cromartie and probably a bunch I missed. And pretty much all these guys did a decent job for us at least.

I argued in the off season that we should move on from Larry and P2 and rather than waste Chandler Jones by losing him in FA we should trade him and get something while we can (this was pre draft when we could draft a replacement).

Many argued that CJ has many good years left in him and they could see him being a top player until he's 35+, especially as he never had elite speed to lose. Yet at the same time a living legend like JJ Watt is old for some and a poor FA signing. Despite being less than a year older than CJ. Watt never had elite speed either and has positional flexibility. CJ is no slouch but I'd put my money on Watt in any physical competition, the guy is a monster. There's no reason Watt can't play at a high level until 35+ also.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am skeptical like most on this board about our defensive personnel, but what I will say is that there is a world where Watt, Phillips, Fotu, Golden, Jones, Simmons, Collins, Budda, Murphy JThompson and Butler make up a really special defense. It may be unlikely, but it is there.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am skeptical like most on this board about our defensive personnel, but what I will say is that there is a world where Watt, Phillips, Fotu, Golden, Jones, Simmons, Collins, Budda, Murphy JThompson and Butler make up a really special defense. It may be unlikely, but it is there.
Like the makeup of it, but really missing a dominant CB1.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How many teams have a dominant CB1?

Neither Superbowl finalist has a top 10 CB. I can't find any CB rankings that has a Tampa or KC CB in the top 20.

Only one team in our division has a top 20 CB. We were 4th in air yards allowed last year with 2 ILB's that couldn't cover, Banjo at safety and 3 CB's of which the best ranked 48th in the league.

I'd love a prime P2, but it's not required.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
How many teams have a dominant CB1?

Neither Superbowl finalist has a top 10 CB. I can't find any CB rankings that has a Tampa or KC CB in the top 20.

Only one team in our division has a top 20 CB. We were 4th in air yards allowed last year with 2 ILB's that couldn't cover, Banjo at safety and 3 CB's of which the best ranked 48th in the league.

I'd love a prime P2, but it's not required.

Do you not agree in general that cornerback is one of the most important defensive positions? Also the two championship game finalists both had excellent CB1s and I find it hard to believe there aren’t any rankings that have Davis inside the top 20.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you not agree in general that cornerback is one of the most important defensive positions? Also the two championship game finalists both had excellent CB1s and I find it hard to believe there aren’t any rankings that have Davis inside the top 20.

Cornerback is important but not every team have a dominant CB1. Most teams don't.

Carlton Davis was PFF's 46th ranked CB last year (Jamal Dean was 12th). Neither of which means much in the context of "dominant CB1's".

Davis has great potential but he's not a dominant CB1. He allowed 62% comp rate for 855 yards on 105 targets and 8.1 yards per reception last year per Pro Football Reference with an 87.6 passer rating. That's all very similar to Butler's stats except Butler's yards per target and passer rating are better.

My point being, you don't need a Patrick Peterson or Jalen Ramsey to be successful which is evidenced by the Cards being 4th in air yards allowed and 1st in air yards allowed on the road with the putrid rotting carcasses of P2 and Kirkpatrick at outside corner.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As Cardinal fans, everyone on this board's middle name should be "skeptical".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In my experience the toughest way to generate offense is having to complete passes to the outside deep thirds because of the arm talent required and having to go 12 play drives through the short passing game because of the level of mistake free execution it requires. The easiest way is to attack the intermediate passing game because more QBs can execute it and it is way more forgiving. Where I like our defense is the concept of having long athletes who can clog up the intermediate passing game (Simmons and Collins) and two defensive players in Watt and Chandler Jones who are smart enough to each average 4 to 5 batted balls per year. So, if we play zone (which I believe we will) we will likely see a deeper start vs QBs who can attack those outside vertical areas but a more press-zone vs guys who can't. Also, the idea of being able to pressure the QB without blitzing always is a huge help to DBs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In my experience the toughest way to generate offense is having to complete passes to the outside deep thirds because of the arm talent required and having to go 12 play drives through the short passing game because of the level of mistake free execution it requires. The easiest way is to attack the intermediate passing game because more QBs can execute it and it is way more forgiving. Where I like our defense is the concept of having long athletes who can clog up the intermediate passing game (Simmons and Collins) and two defensive players in Watt and Chandler Jones who are smart enough to each average 4 to 5 batted balls per year. So, if we play zone (which I believe we will) we will likely see a deeper start vs QBs who can attack those outside vertical areas but a more press-zone vs guys who can't. Also, the idea of being able to pressure the QB without blitzing always is a huge help to DBs.

Well put. I also think more zone, or at least off man. One thing this CB group is missing is top level speed and if they play a high level of press they would be heavily reliant on the pass rush being great.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
the lack of speed almost everywhere except Simmons is what scares me most.
Where we lack speed I feel like we have length. Also, I think we play in a division where speed is less important in comparison to physicality

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watt is a front runner and treating Arizona like a bank robbery and retirement check.

Welp I don't blame him for seeing an easy lick

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This couldn't be less JJ Watt. The guy has never taken a minute off. He get's competitive over who gets to the facility first.

Never said he was going to take off.

But he is an image guy and is going about his time here by front running when his last elite year was 2-3 years ago.

I don't trust people who give the appearance that they can write a big check when the last check that cleared was years ago.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never said he was going to take off.

But he is an image guy and is going about his time here by front running when his last elite year was 2-3 years ago.

I don't trust people who give the appearance that they can write a big check when the last check that cleared was years ago.

Yea now you're just talking out your *$# lol

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yea now you're just talking out your *$# lol

Just watch how the season unfolds.

Nothing personal against the guy, I don't think he is a bad dude. Just more concerned about projecting an image

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave