Deandre Ayton discussion

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Amare sucked on defense, but he was consistently great on offense. From 2005 to 2010, Amare posted a grand total of 3 instances where he failed to score double digit points in a playoff game. That's 3 out of 45 playoff games. Defense aside, you know you could depend on him for offense.

Ayton so far has posted 5 statistically superior playoff performances to two forgettable ones. He has been great on both sides of the court in those superior games. Still, 2 out of 7 stinkers is a 29% stinker rate. That does not come close to Amare's level of offensive consistency. It's a great start for Ayton, and I find it very encouraging, but until he drops the stinker game rate to 10% or less, I'm not willing to consider him more impactful than Amare.

If Ayton does drop the rate to 10% or less, and can average around 20 and 10, I will consider him more impactful because of his defensive contributions. Now, a two way 20 and 10 big man is asking a lot. And indeed it should be asking a lot. That's what it takes to best Amare's level of impact.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Amare was so so good. I never got caught up in his liabilities because of how insanely offensive he was. He wanted to embarrass you. Embarrass your kids, your family. It was insane.

Seriously..... His rookie season may have been the most fun I have ever had watching the Suns. That game in Minny against KG...... Every game was a must watch on league pass. And I lived in the EST by that time. Absolute must watch TV.

And I have been watching with the ability to retain memories since 85ish. My family had season tickets in the lower bowl of Veterans memorial during the drug scandal up until I left for the Army and they moved south of Tucson in 96/97.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You certainly act like a 21-year-old, I'll give you that. But you probably shouldn't use the fact that you went to games when you were 4 as proof that you are smarter than all of us.

Cuz we all WAY older than you.
You must be registered for see images attach

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Amaré was a beast in the playoffs. He played better defense in the playoffs as well. He didn't play that much defense to begin with though...

I'm very pleased with how Ayton is playing in the playoffs. He's mostly aggressive and unafraid. Some lapses where he coasts, doesn't box out, like getting back and getting loose balls or rebounds, and some times he's lost, but all-in-all I couldn't be happier. He's growing and making strides. Go Ayton!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Just as his overall game was ready to explode....that ish happened. Kick to the nards as typical Suns fan are accustomed to.

Penny Hardaway, Kevin Johnson, Danny Manning, Amare, Oliver Miller, Richard Dumas - there have been others but that's a disappointing list of major "what could have beens". I thought about adding Eric Swann and Jake Plummer's throwing thumb to the list but not all Suns fans are Cards fans.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Amare and Ayton are not the same player and don’t play the same position even allowing for positionless basketball (and Amare playing out of position). I think we all just wish Ayton had more of Amare’s fire and Amare had had some of Ayton’s reliability on D. But more than anything I hope Ayton is more durable, not that it was Amare’s fault.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare and Ayton are not the same player and don’t play the same position even allowing for positionless basketball (and Amare playing out of position). I think we all just wish Ayton had more of Amare’s fire and Amare had had some of Ayton’s reliability on D. But more than anything I hope Ayton is more durable, not that it was Amare’s fault.

This. It's a pointless comparison unless you are going to talk about playing angry. Amare...when you pissed him off wanted to KILL YOU at the rim and often did. Ayton doesn't have that killer instinct yet but I have seen flashes this playoffs. I have said it multiple times but I don't think Ayton knows how dominate he can be. It's mental. It's like leading a horse to water. You can't make him drink. Ayton has to realize it for himself to ever reach his full potential. IF he ever gets the mindset that he can't be stopped? Look out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone with the initials DA is getting a max contract this summer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Ayton, where's TJ. I haven't seen him around in more than a month.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a must read article by Deandre Ayton. It is awesome!!!

Here is a snippet from the article titled "We Dem Boyz" from The Players Tribune by Deandre Ayton:

"And speaking of success — that’s just what we expect now.

It’s just who we are. If we win a game, OK, great. But then it’s head down. It’s on to the next. If we win a series, OK, let’s take a few hours. Let’s enjoy this plane ride home. Let’s play some cards. Let’s nap these naps. Let’s talk our sh*t. Matter of fact, let’s have Jevon talk as loud as possible the entire flight. Let’s have him talk so loud you can hear him from the back of the plane, and probably even the next plane over. But then after that?? It’s head down. It’s on to the next.

This group, man — we’re not satisfied by a few wins in a row. We’re not satisfied by making the conference finals. We don’t feel like we’re on some “magical run,” you know what I mean?? Nothing magic. No run.

It’s just grinding, and competing, and performing to our potential.

It’s just being where we’re expecting to be."

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/deandre-ayton-phoenix-suns-basketball-nba

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a must read article by Deandre Ayton. It is awesome!!!

Here is a snippet from the article titled "We Dem Boyz" from The Players Tribune by Deandre Ayton:

"And speaking of success — that’s just what we expect now.

It’s just who we are. If we win a game, OK, great. But then it’s head down. It’s on to the next. If we win a series, OK, let’s take a few hours. Let’s enjoy this plane ride home. Let’s play some cards. Let’s nap these naps. Let’s talk our sh*t. Matter of fact, let’s have Jevon talk as loud as possible the entire flight. Let’s have him talk so loud you can hear him from the back of the plane, and probably even the next plane over. But then after that?? It’s head down. It’s on to the next.

This group, man — we’re not satisfied by a few wins in a row. We’re not satisfied by making the conference finals. We don’t feel like we’re on some “magical run,” you know what I mean?? Nothing magic. No run.

It’s just grinding, and competing, and performing to our potential.

It’s just being where we’re expecting to be."

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/deandre-ayton-phoenix-suns-basketball-nba
Love the words and the passion. We will need it to translate for him in a BIG way this series. Hopefully those naps on the plane pay off to keep his energy level high throughout.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
“This Sunday, for me, it’ll be a big day: my first Father’s Day since becoming a father myself. It’s been an amazing few months….. and I can tell you we’ve made at least one big parenting decision already: We’re raising our little dude as a Suns fan, no doubt. He’s got the gear, he’s in the colors, he’s got the baby blanket — it’s Phoenix head-to-toe on this one.

And I feel good about that.

Not just because it’s his dad’s team — but because I want him to have the best in life. I want him to get in on the ground floor, you know what I’m saying? To root for a team that’s at the START of a MOMENT….. in a city that stays loyal, and loves basketball.

I want him to watch hard work turn into great things.”

-DA

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave