Deandre Ayton discussion

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ayton had his best dunk ever last night!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton had his best dunk ever last night!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That was a scary foul. I worried when Ayton went down.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AND dunked everything he could.

Ayton is light years ahead of Amare on defense.

for all the highligh dunks he was very flawed but I don’t blame him you had a coach who never even mentioned defense or adjustments

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing people seldom talk about with Ayton is his shooting percentage. Ayton outplayed Jokic last night. 69% vs 45%. 12 shots for Ayton vs 23 for Jokic. That means more shots for teammates. It’s as good as an assist.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The thing people seldom talk about with Ayton is his shooting percentage. Ayton outplayed Jokic last night. 69% vs 45%. 12 shots for Ayton vs 23 for Jokic. That means more shots for teammates. It’s as good as an assist.
I was with you until the bolded part. I assume this is hyperbole?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Without Ayton Joker would’ve killed the Suns and the score would’ve looked different. He wore Joker down and made him work for buckets. Ayton defending him one on one limits his passing. And he will only get better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta credit Monty and Jones. James Jones gave Monty a young team with lots of weapons, depth, and versatility. That means that Monty has the luxury of versatility and taking advantage of other teams' weaknesses. He can play fast, he can go slow, they can create a wall around LeBron, they can play Jokic one on one. They an go big, they can go small. They can attack the rim, they can shoot from outside. He can ask Book to take over a game (or CP3) or he can ask Book to back off and play in the flow. Monty must be giddy. Its a coach's dream.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I like that this matchup will never force Ayton off the floor (barring foul trouble) because the Nuggets best player by far is a center. I believe Ayton completely mirrored Jokic's minutes last night and they will probably try to keep it that way going forward.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
How did eight teams pass on him in the draft?

Because he moved around a lot in high school, and there wasn't much of a body of work?

If you have a chance, check out some of the pre-draft videos of him ...the physical talent was undeniable, but he was so raw. (His show was awful) Amare's transformation into one of best big man shooters was incredible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that this matchup will never force Ayton off the floor (barring foul trouble) because the Nuggets best player by far is a center. I believe Ayton completely mirrored Jokic's minutes last night and they will probably try to keep it that way going forward.

if he’s able to avoid foul trouble, this could be a short series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he moved around a lot in high school, and there wasn't much of a body of work?

If you have a chance, check out some of the pre-draft videos of him ...the physical talent was undeniable, but he was so raw. (His show was awful) Amare's transformation into one of best big man shooters was incredible.

the craziest thing was that he became a solid shooter by year 3. At 22 years old he was becoming the most dominant offensive big man in the game. Freaking microfracture!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
the craziest thing was that he became a solid shooter by year 3. At 22 years old he was becoming the most dominant offensive big man in the game. Freaking microfracture!

Yeah, his first years his only strategy was to just dunk everything and play like an absolute monster (on offense).

It's really a shame the injuries derailed him, Amare had a chance to be one of the best big men of all time. He certainly ranks up there with the most entertaining.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if he’s able to avoid foul trouble, this could be a short series.
Ayton is starting to get respect from the refs and Jokic doesn't push physically. He plays a finesse game. Not expecting foul trouble, especially if DA paces himself in the first few minutes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare was a freak of nature from day one that wanted to kill people under the rim. That's not who DA is.

It's so unfortunate he got hurt. If his body had held up I have zero doubt Amare would have gotten us at least one ring. He was great but never the same after surgery. He was a freak of nature with his leaping ability. I watched an interview where he admitted where he had games where he felt normal then another game he was in excruciating pain. Unfortunate side effect of micro-fracture surgery. Had this happened now? He likely never would have gotten micro-fracture surgery. Now they have cartridge cell injection therapy with an artho surgery. The rehab is basically the same but the end results are different. Amare likely would have been closer to 100% of his old self.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Even with reduced athleticism, he was still a beast! Remember in 2010? Before DA ran him into the ground he was still playing like an NBA. For a 3-4 year window, you could argue that he was one of the top 3-5 most valuable players in the league.

The amount of circumstances that conspired against those teams is just devastating.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with reduced athleticism, he was still a beast! Remember in 2010? Before DA ran him into the ground he was still playing like an NBA. For a 3-4 year window, you could argue that he was one of the top 3-5 most valuable players in the league.

The amount of circumstances that conspired against those teams is just devastating.

Considering his injury no doubt. In fact, that probably helped his mid-range shooting. However, that raw athleticism was never the same.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton is light years ahead of Amare on defense.

for all the highligh dunks he was very flawed but I don’t blame him you had a coach who never even mentioned defense or adjustments

Ayton is already better than peak Amare. Jokic would have roasted Amare.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is already better than peak Amare. Jokic would have roasted Amare.

Amare on a regular team would not be guarding Jokic unless they were playing him out of position. The only reason Amare ever covered centers is because they were going small. Something that was a detriment to Amare playing defense along with the team not caring back then about defense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose