Kingsbury calls McVay 2 hours before the game for field passes for an IG Model

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know that this is true. Many NFL coaches have very traditional views on what a NFL QB should look like and Kyler isn't it. RGIII is still hanging around the league but no one is calling that a success story.

All thats out the window. The age of the mobile gunslinger is now.

RG3 failed because of injury and arrogance.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
All thats out the window. The age of the mobile gunslinger is now.

RG3 failed because of injury and arrogance.
Yeah if most coaches had to choose their “ mobile gunslinger” they would choose Favre or Young over Murray.

a qb should be mobile enough to escape pressure so he can pass the ball. That’s it.

Any coach designing plays for his quarterback to run the ball is setting the kid up for a short career

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know that this is true. Many NFL coaches have very traditional views on what a NFL QB should look like and Kyler isn't it. RGIII is still hanging around the league but no one is calling that a success story.

I agree with this. Not only in his physical profile but in the systems he can play.

Kyler is broadly playing in the same system he always has since high school, through college and into the NFL. Not identical obviously, but the same core.

That's a lot of years running the same system. Can he go from calling plays that are literally a single number such as 92 or 85, to a Erhardt-Perkins or Westcoast scheme where he has to call FB West Right Slot 372 Y Stick or worse?

And a lot of coaches do 90%+ of their work under center where Kyler does around 10%. He hardly ever runs bootlegs. There's a whole bunch of stuff Kyler doesn't do (and does do) that is the opposite of what many coaches want.

One of my biggest concerns about ever firing Kliff is the limited coaching pool available that would suit Kyler.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah if most coaches had to choose their “ mobile gunslinger” they would choose Favre or Young over Murray.

a qb should be mobile enough to escape pressure so he can pass the ball. That’s it.

Any coach designing plays for his quarterback to run the ball is setting the kid up for a short career

Steve young was an after thought at the tender age of 28.

The falcons traded Brett favre because they did not see his potential.

Mike holmgren and Bill Walsh are two of the greatest developers of good qb the nfl had every seen.

Not even a comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Steve young was an after thought at the tender age of 28.

The falcons traded Brett favre because they did not see his potential.

Mike holmgren and Steve Walsh are two of the greatest developers of good qb the nfl had every seen.

Not even a comparison.
You mean Bill, but you're absolutely correct. Farve was reckless and Steve Young lacke discipline in the pocket. Two of the GOAT QB developers rebuilt them from the ground up.
I agree with this. Not only in his physical profile but in the systems he can play.

Kyler is broadly playing in the same system he always has since high school, through college and into the NFL. Not identical obviously, but the same core.

That's a lot of years running the same system. Can he go from calling plays that are literally a single number such as 92 or 85, to a Erhardt-Perkins or Westcoast scheme where he has to call FB West Right Slot 372 Y Stick or worse?

And a lot of coaches do 90%+ of their work under center where Kyler does around 10%. He hardly ever runs bootlegs. There's a whole bunch of stuff Kyler doesn't do (and does do) that is the opposite of what many coaches want.

One of my biggest concerns about ever firing Kliff is the limited coaching pool available that would suit Kyler.
While fair. One could argue that his growth is being stunted (no pun) or potential not being fully unlocked by being in the same system (even though they are very different).

Mahomes was in the same system in HS and college and people thought trading up for him was crazy. Just couldnt break free from the Air Raid.

Chris Simms believes the Cardinals not putting Kyler under center some more is hurting him and the offense. Play action from under center makes life easier for the QB.

I'm hoping things go great for Kyler and Kliff. Just saying its one of those things we truly wont know until we know (How he does without a full air raid offense)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While fair. One could argue that his growth is being stunted (no pun) or potential not being fully unlocked by being in the same system (even though they are very different).

Mahomes was in the same system in HS and college and people thought trading up for him was crazy. Just couldnt break free from the Air Raid.

Chris Simms believes the Cardinals not putting Kyler under center some more is hurting him and the offense. Play action from under center makes life easier for the QB.

I'm hoping things go great for Kyler and Kliff. Just saying its one of those things we truly wont know until we know (How he does without a full air raid offense)

I agree. I'm hoping Kliff was just keeping the training wheels on and that's going to change this year. He needs to be under center more and bootlegs should be a staple for Kyler to get him out of the pocket for better visibility and so he can run.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave