Julio to the Titans

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet you actually think he got all of those yards on Nelson a whole 5 years ago too.

Nope. Most of them though for about 80 of those yards, because I watched them before I posted. What's your point?

Nelson IS over rated. Massively so. He's been a league average CB his whole career. He's had 2 seasons out of 6 with a PFF grade over 70. He allowed a 97 passer rating last year on the 3rd best defense in the league for a team that cut him with a year left on his deal.

When he signed a 3 year contract in 2019 it was for $7.5m per year when top CB's were getting $16m+.

By any metric he's average at best yet there must be 100 "We should sign Steve Nelson" posts here as if he's a sure fire CB1. He's a decent CB2 at best.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's going to be a very tough week 1.

I don't really mind it. If I'm going to play vs the Titans with Julio I'd rather do it in week 1 before he has much chemistry with Tannehill and is fully to grips with the playbook.

And I have a feeling this is going to be one of those moves that upsets the balance of the team, at least at first. Titans had a pretty simple ethos before. Run it with Henry, when we throw it, throw it to Brown. Now they have to find 150 targets for Julio. That's going to mean less targets for Brown and less carries for Henry.

Plus, as some have said here before, this Titans team was already a team that got worse this off season on paper. Their defense still ain't great. If we are going to be a playoff contender we have to beat teams with players like Julio Jones.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. Most of them though for about 80 of those yards, because I watched them before I posted. What's your point?

Nelson IS over rated. Massively so. He's been a league average CB his whole career. He's had 2 seasons out of 6 with a PFF grade over 70. He allowed a 97 passer rating last year on the 3rd best defense in the league for a team that cut him with a year left on his deal.

When he signed a 3 year contract in 2019 it was for $7.5m per year when top CB's were getting $16m+.

By any metric he's average at best yet there must be 100 "We should sign Steve Nelson" posts here as if he's a sure fire CB1. He's a decent CB2 at best.
I just wanted to make sure because you have a habit of not doing this.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
there were far worse destinations as it relates to the Cardinals -- like any other NFC West team, or even a NFC contender

all the NFC west teams have to play the Titans, and i would like to get him in week one while he and Tannyhill are figuring things out

this post is too reasonable for June around here :lol:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would be a bit more worried by the presence of Julio had the Titans managed to retain Cory Davis who went to the Jets in FA. At age 25 in 2020 his stats were as follows: 65/984 - 5 TDs and 14 catches over 20 yds in 14 games (12 starts).

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have the Titans done anything to improve their pathetic D? We need to score 35+ & I think we can!

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This has me really excited for week 1. I think the Titans are one of the most interesting teams in the NFL. Trial by fire for our defense though.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This has me really excited for week 1. I think the Titans are one of the most interesting teams in the NFL. Trial by fire for our defense though.
Having played his entire career in the AFC South, I think Watt will be almost a coach for week 1.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Another hope would be Ryan Tannehill coming back down to his Miami days.
Miami had no line. Tannehill was always running for his life. The Cards will need to muster a rush that makes him feel like he’s back there. He played very controlled last year. The Cards can’t afford to allow that in this game. They need to get to him early & often.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miami had no line. Tannehill was always running for his life. The Cards will need to muster a rush that makes him feel like he’s back there. He played very controlled last year. The Cards can’t afford to allow that in this game. They need to get to him early & often.
I think the Cardinals will get to him often. The question is will often be enough?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't really mind it. If I'm going to play vs the Titans with Julio I'd rather do it in week 1 before he has much chemistry with Tannehill and is fully to grips with the playbook.

And I have a feeling this is going to be one of those moves that upsets the balance of the team, at least at first. Titans had a pretty simple ethos before. Run it with Henry, when we throw it, throw it to Brown. Now they have to find 150 targets for Julio. That's going to mean less targets for Brown and less carries for Henry.

Plus, as some have said here before, this Titans team was already a team that got worse this off season on paper. Their defense still ain't great. If we are going to be a playoff contender we have to beat teams with players like Julio Jones.
I don't see how having two pretty top-tier WRs is a bad thing. Corey Davis got his last year, and Henry could use a bit of a breather as the primary option anyways.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is a QB driven league. Kyler in his third year better be better than freaking Tannyhill... if we lose (remember we play in the NFC West, and frankly fear them less than our divisions foes), it will probably be about Kliff and not our talent IMO

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Q was a great a WR, no matter the sour grapes at his leaving... nobody looks at the Raves as mediocre, so how is that take legit
I was referring to the current Ravens with Jackson as QB. The Ravens are a run driven team. Until Jackson proves he can beat you with his arm, the great WR’s are hesitant to sign with Baltimore.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see how having two pretty top-tier WRs is a bad thing. Corey Davis got his last year, and Henry could use a bit of a breather as the primary option anyways.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. I said it doesn't really concern me. I'm not clutching my pearls and shouting "Oh lordy, lordy. Julio Jones in game 1 with a new QB, new playbook, coming off injury to a team with the 3rd highest run rate in the league means sure fire defeat".

Good teams beat teams with good players. If we can't beat them with Julio odds are we wouldn't beat them without.

I'd also remind you we beat the Falcons with Julio in Kliff's first year with a CB trio of Murphy, Kevin Peterson and Tramaine Brock and a receiving core of Larry, Byrd, Sherfield and Cooper.

I'll take Hopkins, Green, Kirk and Moore vs Janoris Jenkins, Caleb Farley, Breon Borders and Kevin Byard all day, every day over Julio, Brown, Reynolds and Fitzpatrick vs Butler, Murphy, Dennard/Alford and Budda.

In fact I kinda like they added Julio. It put's the spotlight on this game in week 1. It will have national attention because of Julio. If we win, it put's the Cards in the spotlight for once.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Why the Julio Jones trade to Titans happened - Sports Illustrated

interesting tidbit from SI on the Jones trade :

"The Falcons did wind up talking to all four NFC West teams about a Jones trade, but never got a real offer from any of them."

if you dont want to click through: a complicating factor in acquiring Jones was that at least twice since signing an extension with the Falcons (and maybe a third) -- Jones went to the Falcons and wanted more money within 12 months of doing a new deal. Teams were concerned that the contract value they are acquiring is the floor money wise

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why the Julio Jones trade to Titans happened - Sports Illustrated

interesting tidbit from SI on the Jones trade :

"The Falcons did wind up talking to all four NFC West teams about a Jones trade, but never got a real offer from any of them."

if you dont want to click through: a complicating factor in acquiring Jones was that at least twice since signing an extension with the Falcons (and maybe a third) -- Jones went to the Falcons and wanted more money within 12 months of doing a new deal. Teams were concerned that the contract value they are acquiring is the floor money wise

I guarantee Jones asks for money next off season.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does this make any sense?

The Titans go into their first game with a plan to fool the Cardinals and plant seeds of doubt for their upcoming opponents. They know, as do all teams, that when you pass the ball only three things can happen, with two of them bad. So, they game plan for their bread and butter, running the ball with DH. But those sneaky Cardinals have planned for this possibility by playing Hicks and Collins at ILB and moving IS to OLB. Of course if Hicks is let go before the season starts, you can excuse the question.

One other thing. There is bound to be a great deal of interest in our opening game, and I'm wondering if the NFL changes the time from 1PM ET. Is it possible?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this make any sense?

The Titans go into their first game with a plan to fool the Cardinals and plant seeds of doubt for their upcoming opponents. They know, as do all teams, that when you pass the ball only three things can happen, with two of them bad. So, they game plan for their bread and butter, running the ball with DH. But those sneaky Cardinals have planned for this possibility by playing Hicks and Collins at ILB and moving IS to OLB. Of course if Hicks is let go before the season starts, you can excuse the question.

One other thing. There is bound to be a great deal of interest in our opening game, and I'm wondering if the NFL changes the time from 1PM ET. Is it possible?

2 small market teams one coming off a losing season. no way that time gets changed.