FO thinks our cornerback situation is dire

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2021/seahawks-rams-need-interior-help

Biggest Need: Cornerback

We have been preaching all offseason that cornerback was Arizona's biggest need, and it remains their biggest need even after the draft and with most free agents off the market. Yes, the Cardinals signed Malcolm Butler away from Tennessee, but he is 31 and has been steadily declining for years now. From 2017 to 2019, he failed to make the top 40 cornerbacks in either success rate or yards allowed per target in coverage, per Sports Info Solutions. Last year, he gave up 829 yards on 111 targets, both the highest totals in the league. Robert Alford, the other penciled-in starter, missed all of 2020 with a torn pec after missing all of 2019 with a broken leg. His last healthy season was 2018, when he ranked next to last in both success rate and yards per target. He also turns 33 on Halloween. Nickelback Byron Murphy has failed to make the top 60 corners in success rate in either of his two pro seasons. No other corner on the roster has meaningful experience; the only depth to speak consists of a handful of special teamers and a trio of late-round or undrafted rookies.

I mean, I guess PFF grades are good too tho.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope Zaven delivers cause him over Newsome & possibly Farley will bother me.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hope Zaven delivers cause him over Newsome & possibly Farley will bother me.
A rookie CB was never the answer for this year no matter how you slice it. Sure, if Surtain or Horn had fallen, that should have been the pick but even one of them wasn’t the answer for this season. They need/needed to address the situation in free agency. The pickings are slim but someone like Nelson would get it done.
Also, as others have said, our CB’s this year are just as good if not better than what we ran out last year

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A rookie CB was never the answer for this year no matter how you slice it. Sure, if Surtain or Horn had fallen, that should have been the pick but even one of them wasn’t the answer for this season. They need/needed to address the situation in free agency. The pickings are slim but someone like Nelson would get it done.
Also, as others have said, our CB’s this year are just as good if not better than what we ran out last year
So when will it be the answer?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Yeah. I don’t believe that.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The corpse of Peterson and Late signing of Dre last year? It couldn’t have been worse..
It’s hilarious to me that people are referring to the corpse of Patrick Peterson and are also saying they hope Fitz comes back. Peterson was fine. He wasn’t all-decade team great, but he was fine. We’d be better if we still had him than we are now.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s hilarious to me that people are referring to the corpse of Patrick Peterson and are also saying they hope Fitz comes back. Peterson was fine. He wasn’t all-decade team great, but he was fine. We’d be better if we still had him than we are now.
I mean Butler is just better than him at this point

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not according to the stats in this article.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

FO fails to factor in the Tennessee Titans putrid pass rush in 2020 and that Alford played through a calf injury that nagged him his final season in Atlanta.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is just plain wrong. You can't quote an article that uses cherry picked SIS stats to say how poor Butler was and not check what it says about P2 before you make that comment.

So according to the SIS stats

Comp % allowed

Butler - 60.4%
P2 - 62.7%

Yards per target

Butler - 7.5
P2 - 8.6

TD's allowed

Butler - 5
P2 - 6

PBU's / INT's

Butler - 10/4
P2 - 4/3

Tackles/Missed Tackle %

Butler - 100 - 9.3%
P2 - 64 - 12.1%

I especially like how they twisted this stat into their narrative.

"he failed to make the top 40 cornerbacks in either success rate or yards allowed per target in coverage, per Sports Info Solutions"

What they fail to mention is that the default value for SIS's CB leaderboard is points saved. How many point's did that defender stop the other team from scoring.

Butler was 5th last year from all DB's, including safeties. P2 was 69th.

The article is also gravely misleading on "Butler has been declining". If anything, at least statistically, he has improved even from his Patriot days. That article started with a narrative and picked stats to back up their bias.

PS - The same applies for the year before where he had a lower comp %, more PBU's, same INT's, and more points saved. Despite playing 1 less game.

I'll grant that Alford is a wildcard, but then I guess that is why they brought in Dennard. Either or both of these are surely better than Kirkpatrick.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I mean, duh! This article is just stating the obvious: The Cards aren't good or set at the CB position. We know this.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

FO fails to factor in the Tennessee Titans putrid pass rush in 2020 and that Alford played through a calf injury that nagged him his final season in Atlanta.

If you think ALFORD is going to do a good job for us as a starting CB this year, I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas for you to check out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, duh! This article is just stating the obvious: The Cards aren't good or set at the CB position. We know this.

If you think ALFORD is going to do a good job for us as a starting CB this year, I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas for you to check out.

I don't think Alford is going to be worse than Kirkpatrick. His biggest concern is being healthy, which is why I guess they added Dennard, who also is unlikely to be worse than Kirkpatrick.

While we are cherry picking SIS stats Dennard had the 3rd lowest yards per target of any CB with more than 5 starts at only 4.7 YPT.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I don't think Alford is going to be worse than Kirkpatrick. His biggest concern is being healthy, which is why I guess they added Dennard, who also is unlikely to be worse than Kirkpatrick.

While we are cherry picking SIS stats Dennard had the 3rd lowest yards per target of any CB with more than 5 starts at only 4.7 YPT.

When was the last time Alford was in any way good? Four years ago, I think it was. And the excuse for why he was statistically not good three years ago was an injury he played through. He just isn't inspiring confidence.

I think that's the theme of the overall CB room. It COULD be better and COULD show promise, but, to me, it isn't inspiring confidence.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I have no idea how Alford will fit in and neither do you.

Stout

Reaction score
I have no idea how Alford will fit in and neither do you.

Lol Suuure. I mean, age and 3 years of injury problems (2 years of total injury problems) aren't in any way a body of evidence to point to. Nobody can possibly prognosticate based on that.

Sad I have to feel the need to add :sarcasm:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol Suuure. I mean, age and 3 years of injury problems (2 years of total injury problems) aren't in any way a body of evidence to point to. Nobody can possibly prognosticate based on that.

Sad I have to feel the need to add :sarcasm:

You're big on negative prognostication so have at it, enjoy.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the CB situation was really bad last year

i hope it improves to merely "below average"