HDMI inputs on tv?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 50 inch TCL tv with 3 HDMI inputs. Got it in August. When we got up this morning the firestick suddenly was all jacked up, really dark faded colors. When you went to Netflix etc the picture was terrible. Xfinity is plugged into HDMI 1 and worked fine. Playing around I decided the fire stick had an issue so I ordered another one.

Then I started playing more and discovered the Roku from the other room also didn't work if plugged into HDMI 2. Then I discovered HDMI 3, same thing. And then anything plugged into HDMI 1 DID work. So 2 of my HDMI inputs were bad?

Played around with all the settings and found nothing.

Googled it and of course the first suggestion is unplug the tv and plug it back in, and presto, all 3 work again!

Is this a thing and if so is this a sign a less than 1 year old tv is going to not last? It's working perfectly now but losing 2 of the 3 HDMI inputs seems awfully weird.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to update firmware on the TV? Maybe it does it on its own and the power cycle reminded it to do so.

Digital connections usually either work or they don't, it's kind of rare for it to slowly 'go bad.' They just work right or go kablooey. (technical term)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if you are trying to use an HDR source when that HDMI input isn't capable of it, you can see that same issue...

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if you are trying to use an HDR source when that HDMI input isn't capable of it, you can see that same issue...

No this was standard use of the tv since we had it, just that one morning suddenly they didn't work.

I actually did look into the firmware update too but I have the current update. I have the TV set to update automatically and it had updated.

Hasn't happened since but still has me wondering

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No this was standard use of the tv since we had it, just that one morning suddenly they didn't work.

I actually did look into the firmware update too but I have the current update. I have the TV set to update automatically and it had updated.

Hasn't happened since but still has me wondering

I am surprised that they started working again. What you described sounded like a capacitor issue, but now that it is working again, that rules it out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave