2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heat's moves this year were all about clearing up as much cap space as possible next off-season. They were never going for the title this year.

Whether it was a good move to let Crowder go or not depends on how they make out in free agency.

The Heat looked prime to make a run after they added Oladipo with a big 3 of Butler, Bam, and Oladipo surrounded by Herro, Robinson, Nunn as young role players and Dragic, Iggy, Dedmon, and Bjelica as veteran role players. Then Dipo went down and they struggled to find their way again. Like us, they got a bad first round draw also. They owned the Bucks last year but it seems Milwaukee learned from their mistakes last postseason and have been eager to put the hurt on the Heat.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Heat's moves this year were all about clearing up as much cap space as possible next off-season. They were never going for the title this year.

Whether it was a good move to let Crowder go or not depends on how they make out in free agency.
I noticed Kawai Leonard is a free agent this off season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shades of Suns Rockets 1994 in the Clippers Mavs series?

First two games of that Suns Rockets series, we won the first two games
On the road, I went to Game 3 and we just came out SMOKING. We were up 29-15 after 1 and up 20 in the 2nd. Series had SWEEP written all over it. Then little by little, they chipped away at the lead and then Vernon Maxwell went NUTS on us. They ended up blowing us out and the game ended with the infamous Ainge pegging Mario Ellie in the face with the ball.

We lost Game 4, they tied up the series and well... y’all know the rest.

Clippers down 0-2, got down 15 right out of the gate tonight. Looked like they didn’t even show up. But they chipped away chipped away and end up running away with tonight’s game. Now 2-1 series with a huge Game 4. Will be interesting to see what happens here.

oh, and Doncic put up a ridiculous 44/9/9 tonight. No one else showed up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eddie Johnson is interested in how Julius Randle and Kristaps Porzingis respond after losses.

There are some Suns players that need to respond as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Eaton has passed away at 64.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

On the road, I went to Game 3 and we just came out SMOKING. We were up 29-15 after 1 and up 20 in the 2nd. Series had SWEEP written all over it. Then little by little, they chipped away at the lead and then Vernon Maxwell went NUTS on us. They ended up blowing us out and the game ended with the infamous Ainge pegging Mario Ellie in the face with the ball.

Clippers down 0-2, got down 15 right out of the gate tonight. Looked like they didn’t even show up. But they chipped away chipped away and end up running away with tonight’s game. Now 2-1 series with a huge Game 4. Will be interesting to see what happens here.

After sweeping the Warriors and starting off 2-0 vs Houston along with the fact MJ was playing baseball it must’ve felt like a wrap. Those Suns teams were lucky social media wasn’t around.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After sweeping the Warriors and starting off 2-0 vs Houston along with the fact MJ was playing baseball it must’ve felt like a wrap. Those Suns teams were lucky social media wasn’t around.

and remember that the 1 seed 63 win Sonics team had just gotten bounced in the first round by Denver. The road to a title seemed pave specifically for us to ride in that moment, then... SPLAT we got T-boned.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Mark Eaton has passed away at 64.

Sad to hear. Apparently, in a bicycle accident - eerily similar to what happened to fellow Utahan and fellow NBA 7-4+footer Shawn Bradley recently (although Shawn thankfully survived).

Long forgotten trivia - the Suns drafted Mark out of JC ranks before the Jazz did, but he ended up staying in college and transferring to UCLA... of course, later to end up with the Jazz.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear. Apparently, in a bicycle accident - eerily similar to what happened to fellow Utahan and fellow NBA 7-4+footer Shawn Bradley recently (although Shawn thankfully survived).

Long forgotten trivia - the Suns drafted Mark out of JC ranks before the Jazz did, but he ended up staying in college and transferring to UCLA... of course, later to end up with the Jazz.

Made all the more tragic by losing him to a bicycle accident where a vehicle apparently was not involved.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I found this interesting. Apparently with the condensed season the NBA's amount of time missed due to injuries is down about 6%. The article talks it out more and examines some aspects but its good to hear injuries werent more prevalent league wide.

Nba.com/news/nba-says-injury-rate-down-slightly-from-normal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trail Blazers beats the Nuggets today so the series is tied 2-2.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
and remember that the 1 seed 63 win Sonics team had just gotten bounced in the first round by Denver. The road to a title seemed pave specifically for us to ride in that moment, then... SPLAT we got T-boned.
If Houston had to play Seattle that year they would have been doomed. The Sonics used to own them. I kind of remember the 94 series between Houston/Phx, I think Houston was also involved with a 2-0 series that went 7 with SA where the road teams were winning, but maybe that was the year after.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Yeah I'm worried about the Clippers winning this series. I was surprised to see Dallas win game 1 with KP basically on the court like a statue. then it reared its head again in game 3, but even worse because many of the mavericks role players stopped making shots after the first quarter.

Dallas have every incentive to beat the Clippers after what happened last year with the way the Clippers crossed the line (particularly Harrell) and basically got away with it Scott free. Yet Dallas saw KP get thrown out of a game(the good KP) on a tick/tack technical foul. I thought it was fitting to see the clippers lose the next series.

I think you've seen Luka basically decide that he is not going to back down this year and he has gone right after the Clippers players even taunting them at times. but with that said he can't get in technical foul trouble. he also needs to lay off the refs because they are basically disgusted with him. one of the refs basically ran from him after the game, which you can't tell me that doesn't play a factor in certain situations.

As EJ tweeted out, the problem for me in this series is that KP is basically not a factor offensively and at times he's just a statue at the defensive end. Paul George went through this last year, yet the Clippers got through the mavs because KL carried them and others stepped up. If KP won't play well, he needs to be benched and the mavs need to play Brunson and D.Powell more. D. Powell will at least stay close to the rim to get rebounds and finish easy buckets. For me this is where R. Carlisle needs to earn his money.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone beats the nets. Way too much firepower.

Watching the Nets could ruin basketball for me. I get bored watching them.

It's sad to see Steve Nash as their coach.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone beats the nets. Way too much firepower.

yeah. If we get past the Lakers, I’ll be rooting for Philly or the Bucks to knock them off.

just too ridiculously talented between Harden/Kyrie/KD.