Warner breakdown of Kyler Murray

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I thought Warner had some great insight on that play where he went to the 1 on 1 to Hop on the right side of the end zone (resulting in an incompletion), but he had a 2 on 1 on the left side and Arnold breaks wide open in the left corner of the end zone.

When he starts seeing those things pre snap he will certainly bring his play to the next level.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Warner had some great insight on that play where he went to the 1 on 1 to Hop on the right side of the end zone (resulting in an incompletion), but he had a 2 on 1 on the left side and Arnold breaks wide open in the left corner of the end zone.

When he starts seeing those things pre snap he will certainly bring his play to the next level.

That one was more complicated but I agree he should have seen it.

More concerning are plays like the last one where he's staring down a double post with 2 high safeties that should have been off his radar completely. He shouldn;t be considering that at all and mean time he misses a wide open Maxx for a big gain while taking a hit.

Or the Miami one where he has Kirk, Fitz and Nuk in a massive window for a 40 yard gain but takes the check down for 8.

There are a lot of things Kyler is great at. For every 2 easy throws he is missing there's a 30 yard run that nobody else would have made, but never the less this is a major issue. You can't beat the best teams with the best defenses if you can't make these simple reads.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Don't think it's the pre-snap read on this play. Things were fairly obvious. He just seemed to have in mind that he was going to Dhop. QBs with big arms can at times be rather stubborn in their belief that they can fit it in no matter the coverage. As such, it's more youthful immaturity than misread to my mind.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't think it's the pre-snap read on this play. Things were fairly obvious. He just seemed to have in mind that he was going to Dhop. QBs with big arms can at times be rather stubborn in their belief that they can fit it in no matter the coverage. As such, it's more youthful immaturity than misread to my mind.

I agree. There seems to be a lot of that though, I don;t know if it's Kliff or Kyler but often the first read (and only read) seems to be a guy that it shouldn't be which make you wonder if it's pre determined.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I agree. There seems to be a lot of that though, I don;t know if it's Kliff or Kyler but often the first read (and only read) seems to be a guy that it shouldn't be which make you wonder if it's pre determined.

for young QBs -- i think there are plays where pre-game prep says "with this coverage, this is your first option" -- and when they get it, thats where it goes. Next step stuff is the post snap look

I also wonder a little if K1 feels pressure to get the ball to Hopkins

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am happy that he is throwing the ball vs freezing up and forcing a mental process that results in loss of yards, or worse, panicking and throwing INTs - it's easy to forget that he doesn't have a lot of experience but is still throwing the ball to our team or running for positive yards most of the time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was interesting to watch but man I want to scream just let the whole play go once so I can see what happens. he keeps stopping and going back and I'm getting antsy show me what happens Kurt!

It's very true though part of what made Warner so great was he could do that pre snap read and know where to look and where to go.

the one thing that surprises me in this video is repeatedly he said I don't know why Kyler is looking this way the play should be that way he should be looking there. Maybe he's not seeing it or maybe he's being coached to not stare down so he's intentionally looking the opposite of where he's thinking he'll end up?

Good stuff though

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I didn’t realize Kyler was missing like this- he looks pretty raw in some of these. However, it’s to be expected given his experience level (he’s played 2-3 times more pro ball than ncaa ball).

this video also tells me fitz could have 2-3 times the yards he put up last year.

Kyler is missing a lot of the middle of the field.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I didn’t realize Kyler was missing like this- he looks pretty raw in some of these. However, it’s to be expected given his experience level (he’s played 2-3 times more pro ball than ncaa ball).

this video also tells me fitz could have 2-3 times the yards he put up last year.

Kyler is missing a lot of the middle of the field.
Exactly. Fitz was not washed, he was overlooked.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fitz ain’t beating any competent CB & arguably ILB in man anymore.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That's kind of my point though. I get that he likes the 1 on 1 with Hop, but maybe if he realizes how easy of a TD he would have if he goes to the other side of the field he would have thought twice about forcing one to Hop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose